DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tmapm

Future Versions

Underground terrain could replace Desert, as I'm sure the desert tilesets will not be used? It could be like the underground in Redalert 1, concrete walls and floors, with everything outside playable space could be black.

That they were. Especially the mission where you had to rescue the troops that were in gas chambers. It would be awesome to see some underground maps make an appearance. They might make good MPlayer maps, as well.

Edited by TotalPrime

Well, I would definitely want to make the underground maps more special in the way they are played if we were to introduce them.

I think lighting and the new alpha lamps could work together rather well for a new dimension to gameplay... but I'm thinking scripted sequences more than skirmish play...

technically though, the Nemesis could and would have an upper-hand underground (city) since it's their turf, but I've always had problems imagining just how it should all look, and whether it is structurally possible to have massive spaces deep underground

Well we need to come up with how it all looks eventually :) I always thought of the cities being in big holes... basically with an artificial top.

Like Zion's dock in the Matrix? And also, light is always a big thing... how do people live in darkness? I have a hard time imagining just exactly how powerful a light source you could have in an enclosed space.

I have drawn up plans before, basically it's sorta like building negatively, people live in the ground, but large spaces or atriums are constructed which are free spaces meant to replicate surface environments?

This is also why it's important to make concrete what kind of society the Nemesis have, frankly I don't think a dystopic world is really possible? After so many years, the people (and they are the majority of Atrigans mind you) must have started to look beyond and pursue other things.

Edited by Godwin

The underground cities aren't like a world within the world of Atrigo. In fact there are scattered establishments on the vast surface of Atrigo where the ruins of the destroyed cities stand. Underground worlds were developed from mining caves that are abundant on Atrigo, and serve mainly to house strategically important infrastructures and factories. As for dystopia, I wouldn't say the Nemesis live in constant oppression like people in the Matrix. The Scrin is also more of a prior concern for the Genesis than the Nemesis, who think the planet must first be taken back from the 'robots' and the autocrats for it to have a future. In general their major challenges are the climatic change and retaining their way of life - It must be kept in mind that Atrigo was by no means an isolated society in the past, they relied upon Aureon and interspace trading and had command over technologies such as real time communication across the galaxy and warp travels. It's only after the first invasion that any outside linkage was wiped out and Atrigo was left with little to no industrial capacity to rebuild any fleet. The lack of specific resources and materials is thus the biggest problem for Atrigo, and for what remains the Genesis has control over most. The Genesis maintains the knowledge and expertise to relaunch its space operation, and in fact is already in possession of small orbital platforms and stations, but more ambitious efforts have been crippled by slow recovery from the total destruction brought by the first invasion, indifference from former colonies, local problems and a possible second invasion.

The Genesis citizens are ordinary Atrigans like the Nemesis, and are the rich, the powerful or the professional selected by the elitist government. A good portion of them has never endured the hardship in the cold. The Nemesis more of an organized army than an apparatus of governance, and is definitely more loosely organized than the Genesis in an everyday sense. But as I said before, both sides have fallen into military rules after the first invasion. While working on a remake of AR2 I have come to develop a fairly good idea of how to make the portrait of AR2 more plausible in a sociopolitical sense. Godwin if you want to discuss, feel free to contact me on MSN. I still have plans for AR2, and the RA2 version is simply left here for tmapm to maintain and optimize. I would be grateful if any potential reinterpretation or story development is discussed with me first...

Edited by Chrono

I would be grateful if any potential reinterpretation or story development is discussed with me first...

Of course :D

!

Where the f**k did you come from?

Well either way, thats sorta what I said (to myself) long ago... I got some ideas too so if you're still on MSN (you never are man), give a brother an IM.

Speaking of which, I see parallels between Genesis citizens and some other thing in real life...I cant quite remmeber tho...

^_^

So, wait, does the remake of AR2 override anything the RA2 version does, or is it more of a supplement to the RA2 version's story?

And the world of Atys? Huh? :unsure:

He wants to know if the RA2 version of AR2 will be parallel with Chrono's Version of AR2 (for another game). For the most part they should be although I"m sure there will be some fundamental differences.

While working on a remake of AR2 I have come to develop a fairly good idea of how to make the portrait of AR2 more plausible in a sociopolitical sense. Godwin if you want to discuss, feel free to contact me on MSN. I still have plans for AR2, and the RA2 version is simply left here for tmapm to maintain and optimize. I would be grateful if any potential reinterpretation or story development is discussed with me first...

I would love to hear your ideas, but I don't think I can or want to work on whatever you're working on for reasons we both should know, not that you invited me or anything, just wanted to make that clear and understood.

And I don't think anyone has tried reinterpreting the story, though sometimes it happens to the grey areas, and also because you're not around to doublecheck with.

Ominous!

But seriously, what is Atys? I mean it can't just be some random typo you followed through with in the entire post...