DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tmapm

Speak Out: Airshift

Alright guys, so I have been told that the airshift is useless. For this version I did modify it so that it is no longer a carryall (however you can put 1 vehicle in, granted we allow you to.) Now what I need from you is your feedback on the vehicle. Should we keep it, change how it works, or get rid of it? You let me know and back up your opinions with some support.

I kinda like the airshift. It should be kept but changed a little. Maybe you can allow more than one to be built. One airshift is kinda usless. It also would be good if it were able to carry more. Perhaps one vehicle and up to 3 troops.

Well if we allow more than one, it probably wouldn't be built from the airfield. I know the build limit of 1 was to keep a bug from occuring.. okay, so if I was to give it a weapon, what would it be? (And it seems I should work on removing the buildlimit.)

Hmmm Im thinking perhaps like Enforcer missles...except it can fire them whenever...as long as it is inrange of something, it lauches a salvo?

And perhaps you can make it so that it carries six troops or either a light vehicle?

:)

Whatever happened to that Genesis superunit that required the Airshift to move around...?

Well, you already know what I think. I simply don't see the point, since all maps are connected by land, and Genesis units are pretty fast and mobile as it is.

It'd be useful if it had more strategic importance and significance, like that superunit thing Nox mentioned, it would also be more useful if it didn't have a buildlimit, right now it's pretty useless other than for little micromanaged harrassment runs with a levi or something.

I am going to work on removing the buildlimit. I do know that it would be useful if you could build more than one.

He said its already fixed - now more than one.

And Genesis superunit? I forgot or dont know what u guys are talking bout...

I must be missing something here...

:mellow:

okay, so if I was to give it a weapon, what would it be?

Perhaps a rapid pulse cannon of some sort (kinda like a mini gun but pulse ;) ) for countermeasure purposes.

:o The new Genesis unit sounds cool. B)

The genesis superunit isn't in.. it was something that was discussed but never created. You may see a new feature or struture in this release, but nothing drastic. I'm leaning towards not wanting to give the airshift a weapon because they have the gryphon and raven. I do want to do something with it, but it needs to be more creative.

EDIT: I was thinking I could make it deploy like the seige chopper but into a bunker, but it wouldn't work... or maybe mirage tank abilities...If you guys have suggestions, let me know.

Alright guys, so I have been told that the airshift is useless. For this version I did modify it so that it is no longer a carryall (however you can put 1 vehicle in, granted we allow you to.) Now what I need from you is your feedback on the vehicle. Should we keep it, change how it works, or get rid of it? You let me know and back up your opinions with some support.

Simply put, I dislike the partial paradrop logic. Even moreso, the auto-dropoff one-at-a-time unload is useless (much like the Chinook in RotD), since the aircraft spends far more time than it should in the area.

With paradrop planes, their near unlimited ammo means that after they deploy everyone to the dropsite, the will still 'patrol' the area until enemy AA takes them down. Useless. Simply put, the fastest and safest (for both infantry and plane) method for troop deliver with aircraft in the TS/RA2 engine is for it to land and click unload. Anything else takes too long, or is too risky. Paradrops are a nice visual effect, but best saved for superweapon runs, and the carryall/infantry auto-dropoff is... ugh, annoying when you are trying to manuever with the aircraft to take advantage of other angles to the target.

"Shoot, it landed... Time to reload all those troops again."

Hmmm I sorta thought that that Mirage idea was sorta interesting...except a flying tree would be sorta weird...

Well maybe Radar-proof would bea good ability to start.

Also maybe have it have generate some shroud around it? But that would be a Nemesis thing?

Radar jamming would also be a Nem thing...damn.

Fine tuning the crative process...

:mellow:

uhh, it doesn't need to be a tree. Plus it only cloacks when it is still. I do like the radar proof idea. I think just doing that would be a GREAT thing to do.

SO basically we will make it so you can build more than 1, and it doesn't appear on the radar.

Hmmm also maybe if you can make a way for Nemesis to get a Hybrid Airshift. have it generate a GAP field like the mobile gap generator - it that is possible.

Just a thought...

:)

I have come up with what I believe to be a definative solution to the airshift dilemma.

It would have a build limit of one, be invisible to radar, have no weaponry, AND be permenantly cloaked. It will also have a capacity of 12 units. The size of relevant units are as follows:

Infantry occupies 1 grid.

Jackal occupies 9 grids.

Decimator occupies 10 grids.

Enforcer, Orchid and Reaper each occupies 12 grids.

The Schizogen and Leviathan cannot be carried.

It wouldnt be unbalanced since you can only build one and because I sort of nerfed it by not allowing it to carry the Shizogen or Leviathan.

I also think that we could have this in the form of a completely new unit and not allow the Airshift to be built in multiplay. The new unit would look different than the airshift and it would be called the Spectre.

One reason for creating a new unit is that since the airshifts for the insertion and such werent cloaked ever, we could consider this a different model of airial transport. Also, it would give a rational excuse for why it doesnt function like an undercarrying carryall.

Sounds like a good idea! Excpet for keep it in Multi too...we were doing a Nemesis camp only anyways so more than likely wouldn't be able to use the new Airshift.

I like the idea also of that Spectre for drops and bombing runs - was drawing some concepts and will show sometime.

We must tune the creativity gears more!

:D

The Airshift for bombing runs, and the other device for actual player use, correct? It might be best to think of another name besides the Spectre: It sounds too generic and sounds like something in Halo.

The Airshift for bombing runs [paradrop], and the other device for actual player use, correct?

You are correct.

What would you have me name it, if not Spectre? Spectre is too generic? And Enforcer, Jackal, Reaper, Catastrophe, Armageddon, Apocalypse, Conscript, Seraph, and Sentinal aren't generic names?