DerelictStudios Forums
LEGO

Dogfighter Possible

Hi friends of Blitz, i've found a mathod to enable airport bounded aircrafts (and aircraft carrier plane) dogfight with each other. Wheather you know it already, i'd like to share and discuss it with you.

It is actually quite a simple way: an aircraft with flight level under 200(or some higher) an be attacked by anti ground weapon (even from another aircraft), and it can still fly over mountains and buildings and other units.

so if give all aircraft a speacial Armor, we can make sure they won't be shoot by a rifle or tank, but can shoot each other.

you can have a try yourself, then you can see that's really dogfight.

now some problems:

1,i've tried it in RA2, but not in YR, hope it works all the same.

2,how to make the planes automatically patrol, guard, and shoot(just like in C&C:General)? or eles it would be imposible to click intercept a fast enemy plane in actual combat.(unless we make all fighters spawn launched, then it is ok, but...strange... )

3,they fly too close to the ground and often hurt themself while fireing. and they look too close to the ground too. maye some move in Voxel may make them look higher?

I've already posted this in D-Day forum. thanks to Mig how tell m

e it could be helpful here.

(BTW, when will ur latest version be downloadable? i want it not only for the days before D-Day. )

i think this may make your fighter base a really FIGHTER base, not a attacker base B)

BTW: how is the latest fighter like? don't you think a fighter base should be moveable? :o

about the graphical issues: I think it could be sloved easily.

simpelly make Voxels like this:(suppose it's a view from 1 side, ect left)

-------------------------------------

------------- *----------------------

------------*------------* ---------

--- *************** ---------

----------- *-----------------------

-------------*----------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

-----------------------------------

rather than normally like this:

--------------*---------------------

-------------*-----------*----------

--- ***************----------

-------------*----------------------

--------------*---------------------

then you'll have whatever hight you want in graphic.

and in this case, the lower flightlevel, the better it is:

coz you can pick on the craft simpelly by click its shadow, not some blank in the air.

and it's not over: we have fix all the fire weapon, smoke positions as well

and also fix the airport pic(make it bigger), to make it "SEEMS" land on it rather than hover on it when not fly.

BTW, anyone plz answer my qusetions above:

when will ur latest version be downloadable?

how is the latest fighters and fighter bases like? don't you think a fighter base should be moveable?

Thx :)

Well, you guys really share much with the Team Revenge :lol:

and how about the fighter bases? i heard it's selectable now?

to comrade Gosho: i learned it from both serious history books and jokes writen by the herotic proletarian people in former CCCP and east euro :P , including Bulgaria :)

to Godwin: not if you make the airport big enough :) suppoes you make a plane land on the bottom edge of an airport, it will "SEEMS" stop at the center, if the airport is that big...

or another slove: make the "airport" actually a land aircraft carrier (better if moveable) :lol:

Hey,

It's definitely a good idea, but the problem arises with the fact they shoot themselves down. I already lowered the altitude at which the fighters in the game fly - and it occurs they shoot themselves down when shooting. Furthermore, bombers fly at a higher altitude to make a more realistic representation of the planes and how they flew but also to make fighters more vulnerable to flak and bombers a little less. It would also look quite weird to have bombers fly, like Phoib said, ten meters above the ground.

Now it could be quite interesting to make fighters able to engage each other, by using auto targeting and it would make up for some cool carrier fights - so I will defiantly experiment a little with your ideas.

About the release, things are moving very slowly because of my studies and just life as a whole, but on the bright side we really aren't far from finishing. What is left to be done is essentially adding PD's rock the battlefield patch and improve the graphics a little. I don't know when it'll be done though, since I just don't have a whole lot of time - Christmas is coming though, so who knows what might happen then :)

Edited by [DK]PHIL

Hi, PHIL

I personally treat the "shoot themselves down" like this:

1.change the projectel of the AA gun to a AA missile, so they will shoot themself much less(though still sometimes)

2.make that "missle" totally invisible, including smoke.

3.keep the warhear still gun shells, so when the missle explode it looks like a gunfire on target. and also add a gunfire sound, i can hardly pick it from a really gunfire.

4. make the plane selfhealing, to balance the already reduced self shooting problem.

personally feeling, it is acceptable, only there is some time between the gun fired and the warhead hit.

Thx for experiment it, and it worth to make BLITZ enable a dogfight. :D

About the release, I can wait for you release it in XMAS :P

(actally BLITZ worth a much longer waiting. however I just wish to see the not-all-rifelmen-conscripts-version earlier ;) )

Thx very much for working on it :)

Edited by LEGO

TBH i don't think you should do anything like this, unless PD can make it work some how. Other wise it will look really odd. But that just my opinion.

if so it´ll take wile since his comp crashed a few weeks ago and he had not bakuped anything from his "source-code" on cd/dvd

but he told me that he will start again form a "source-code"-version he uploaded once though this is nearly 5 months ago and he published 2 new versions of his RP

As far as the idea of them shooting themselves down, the suggestion of self-healing is unsound. If they self-heal, what then to stop them from mobile AA?