DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chrono

AR2 4.0

hmmm, not sure, we do have meteor storms though, maybe the weather storm sw logic can be modified to make a snowstorm or blizzard

I thought of a snowstorm that will force all genesis hovercraft to shut down on ground, didn't really make it though.

Guest Teachno34
I thought of a snowstorm that will force all genesis hovercraft to shut down on ground, didn't really make it though.

Snowstorms do more then that though. Infantery would be forced to crawl if they would be able to move at all, vehicles would get lost while moving to a far away point. Aircraft would be forced to stay on the ground, Hovercraft wouldn't be forced to shut down, but would have trouble moving around (sorta like the drunken drive of the Leviathan, has already) Buildings would be damaged slightly by an continuuing storm as will infantery. These are all just possibilties that could happen during a snowstorm.

Of course that would probably really happen but the RA2 engine doesnt really support unit stat changing that well...

And besides I think the AR2 crew has enough work to do already :P

Guest Dark_elf_2001

I think, why not use the different terrains as other worlds etc.

Temperate: Keep as another world.

Snow: Duuh, Atrigo.

Moon: Atrigo's moon.

NewUrban: Edit so that you can have indoor missions like Red Alert(Simple, just make all cliffs look like walls, and have the tops of cliffs impassable. Also, you can have different types of cliff, so you can be inside different things, like tunnels, Scrin ships, Nemesis/genesis structures etc.

Urban: Don't know, but maybe have this as a highly developed planet, which is overed entirely by concrete.

Desert: You would also need a desert world, wouldn't you?

no, AR2 is strictly set on Atrigo. The newurban thing has been an idea for a long time now, for underground cities, and we can always make some temperate regions for the dome cities or places with less snow and ice

Guest Teachno34
Of course that would probably really happen but the RA2 engine doesnt really support unit stat changing that well...

And besides I think the AR2 crew has enough work to do already :D

Read my first post about a possible snowstorm. I don't know what RA2 can handle and what not, but these were all just idea, since this thread was created to supply some ideas for the next version.

Snowstorms do more then that though. Infantery would be forced to crawl if they would be able to move at all, vehicles would get lost while moving to a far away point. Aircraft would be forced to stay on the ground, Hovercraft wouldn't be forced to shut down, but would have trouble moving around (sorta like the drunken drive of the Leviathan, has already) Buildings would be damaged slightly by an continuuing storm as will infantery. These are all just possibilties that could happen during a snowstorm.

I did read it, and there are some problems ,but I dont blame you.

1 You cant make hovercraft shut down unless they are powered by a structure

It will be hard to power them down anyway, unless there is a coded weapon from

snowstorm

2 Infantry cant be just made to act prone, there has to be a weapon, a weapon of

enormous range must be used to make the effect

3 Hovercrafts cant just be made to have a drunken drive, thats already set.

The ideas of shutdown of aircraft and active damaging of strucutrs/infantry is valid.

if the above 3 ideas are made possible, well then good job :D

Guest Teachno34
2 Infantry cant be just made to act prone, there has to be a weapon, a weapon of

enormous range must be used to make the effect

This point could be probably be made to work in conjunction with the damage to buildings and infantery :P

Guest Teachno34
My idea was that it swings and damages hovercrafts unless you deploy them to make them land.

Ah, in such a way, what I understood of your earlier post was that the hovercrafts would be forced to land, like what happened during an Ion strom in TS.

PS: is it possible to shift a point of heading for a unit, when they are travelling over a longer distance, in order to get the 'lost' effect in a snowstorm?

well, it is possible if you look around the INI, but hard

mind control, well thats kind of a problem cuz then ur units would be attacking you, and that doesnt happend during snow

First of all, there is a lot of work to be done already so I doubt making a snowstorm is a priority.

Second, if we did actualy get the snowstorm to work, I fear that it would slow the game down to a halt.

Guest Teachno34
yeah, just stick with a meteor storm

Oh well, then it could perhaps be something for the later versions (if there will be a later version?).

What about ice as was seen in Vinifera Sun, that would be nice, though it should be breakable for the ships of the Nemesis, or going back to my older post, what about some local wildlife/civilians. Because you are not on Earth and on a planet with Vinifera, the wildlife should be an interesting addition and the civilians like normal wildlife would make the map somewhat more alive.

Ice logic isn't possible and adding more features such as meteor storms will slow the game down, which would not be good.

Guest Teachno34
yes it would slow game performance and add to the developers work and add on to the AR2 4.0 download size

Every new feature would take up extra download space and slow down the game performance, even if you do not notice it with smaller extra files (like wildlife :)).

By the way, since it was ignored the last time, will there be an AR2 version after 4.0, which may feature the good ideas in this thread, which are ignored by lack of time and what is the planned release date of 4.0 anyway or atleast and estimate of it?

Guest Alexander

I think there should be more theaters, no/less meteor storms, and a super weapon switch. I like the meteor showers, but it slows down even the fastest computer, and they like to disconnect you when playing LAN or via internet. As for the wildlife suggestion, I say yes. Make some freaky wildlife, or just the every day wildlife, anything to make it a little more interactive and painful if they attacked you infantry.

All of these are good intentions, however the mod designers should just stay on task with the campaign for now. When it is done, they can add all the goodies.

Guest Teachno34
All of these are good intentions, however the mod designers should just stay on task with the campaign for now. When it is done, they can add all the goodies.

Obviously, I would hate to have to wait for the Nemesis campaign longer then was originally planned, because of some eyecandies and gameplay features that really aren't that important as the armies will fight, no matter what the conditions.