DerelictStudios Forums
maskawaih

You And Your Sports

STOP CALLING IT ICE HOCKEY!!!!!!

The hockey thats played on ice is the true version of the game and thus should be called simply HOCKEY!!!!

Edited by Mr.48

I don't consider it a sport really, but Nihon Jiu Jitsu, green belt, Nakoni Jiu Jitsu, yellow flower, Judo, yellow belt (I think...).

And running to work when I'm late (quite often :P )

The hockey thats played on ice is the true version of the game and thus should be called simply HOCKEY!!!!

Or maybe 'hockey' is too generic since there's more than one type and you should really calm the fuck down.

Or NASCAR (which I can't believe gets passed off as a sport occasionally)

Auto racing takes skill, definitley. It's not simply who has the fastest car. It, believe it or not, takes physical endurance to drive at those speeds, under near constant G-forces and often under dehydration. Saying racing isn't physical on that level at least is like saying all jet fighter pilots have it easy... They may not flap their arms to fly, but their bodies take serious punishment. As for srategy, you ever see the bigger races with teams, not just pit crews, but multiple drivers on the same team? Yeah...

You know there are rules.

I used to race quarter midgets, it's a sport, lay off.

NASCAR fails at one point in that - have to be physically fit to play at a competitive level. Any fatass or scrawny guy can get in a car and drive around. Does lifting weights make you a better driver? Nope. Are they out running laps so they can get better? Nope. Just because it does take a physical toll doesn't mean that it's a sport. They don't do anything physical when racing. Being a better racer isn't whoever can deal with the G-forces better.

NASCAR falls under the category of "competitive activitiy" for me. With golf and darts and fishing.

Or maybe 'hockey' is too generic since there's more than one type and you should really calm the fuck down.

Yes there are many types, but its the other types that are not played on ice that should be distinguished from the original game which is simply hockey.

And about calming down, I wasnt angry in the first place. I thought that people would have seen the humor in a Canadian guy going crazy over hockey, guess not.

NASCAR fails at one point in that - have to be physically fit to play at a competitive level. Any fatass or scrawny guy can get in a car and drive around. Does lifting weights make you a better driver?

How many fatasses do you see competeing in races though? Have you ever driven a car withoutr power steering? Ever? Trust me, weights can help. The argument that it's not physical in that sense negates any of the sports like airsoft. Skinny fucks are smaller targets... and it doesn't take finger exercises to get good at squeezing a trigger, right?

Yes there are many types, but its the other types that are not played on ice that should be distinguished from the original game which is simply hockey.

And about calming down, I wasnt angry in the first place. I thought that people would have seen the humor in a Canadian guy going crazy over hockey, guess not.

the original version was played in fields, not on ice =-)

@ rattus, if your any good at airsoft you will be doing much much more than squeezig a trigger... dodging hundereds of small plastic pellets... thats sure to work up a sweat!as for driving... how many NASCAR teams do you know that dont have power-steering?

Edited by PsiSoldier28

NASCAR falls under the category of "competitive activitiy" for me. With golf and darts and fishing.

Accele, I've always thought you to be an absolute dick - but for once, I am in full agreement with you about something.

fuckin sigged

NASCAR fails at one point in that - have to be physically fit to play at a competitive level. Any fatass or scrawny guy can get in a car and drive around. Does lifting weights make you a better driver?

How many fatasses do you see competeing in races though? Have you ever driven a car withoutr power steering? Ever? Trust me, weights can help. The argument that it's not physical in that sense negates any of the sports like airsoft. Skinny fucks are smaller targets... and it doesn't take finger exercises to get good at squeezing a trigger, right?

I don't play competitive airsoft, so I can't say. But it seems like a lot of running to maneuver, and that to me is physical activity.

Having power steering off is a little annoying (sometimes I turn my car off and just roll to save gas, I can go a good couple miles actually, but I digress...) but I don't think it constitutes sport. It's not strenuous by any means, its just a repetitive physical motion. Chess requires a repetitve physical motion. Leaning across the board to move pieces. Hell, could you call the math team athletes? Marathon writing sessions kill your hand, like whenever you have to take a massive essay test.

Accele, I've always thought you to be an absolute dick - but for once, I am in full agreement with you about something.

fuckin sigged

If you don't agree with my political views you'll think that, but otherwise I'm a normal guy. I have plenty of friends from the other end of the political spectrum and we get along fine. It's just places where political discussion is common that political leanings divide people, and hence people on the other side become nothing more than dicks or idiots. I'm positive that if the DS forums got together at some point and did something not related to politics or social issues we'd get along fine. Obviously we're all here because we have similar interests.

Edited by Accele

Meh, I doubt the drivers really care if what they do is a sport or not. After all, any one person in the Daytona 500 makes more in a day than all of us do in a year, combined. :P

Meh, I doubt the drivers really care if what they do is a sport or not. After all, any one person in the Daytona 500 makes more in a day than all of us do in a year, combined. :P

And that is why Alabama sucks ass.

Or NASCAR (which I can't believe gets passed off as a sport occasionally)

Auto racing takes skill, definitley. It's not simply who has the fastest car. It, believe it or not, takes physical endurance to drive at those speeds, under near constant G-forces and often under dehydration. Saying racing isn't physical on that level at least is like saying all jet fighter pilots have it easy... They may not flap their arms to fly, but their bodies take serious punishment. As for srategy, you ever see the bigger races with teams, not just pit crews, but multiple drivers on the same team? Yeah...

You know there are rules.

I used to race quarter midgets, it's a sport, lay off.

NASCAR fails at one point in that - have to be physically fit to play at a competitive level. Any fatass or scrawny guy can get in a car and drive around. Does lifting weights make you a better driver? Nope. Are they out running laps so they can get better? Nope. Just because it does take a physical toll doesn't mean that it's a sport. They don't do anything physical when racing. Being a better racer isn't whoever can deal with the G-forces better.

So let me ask you a question. How good are you with your clutch? Do you even know the first thing about working on a car let alone an import? You see most people just see racing as driving around in circles over and over but thats nascar(and yeah they just drive around in circles hundreds of times and call it a day.. they don't even work on their own cars). Try putting hours of work into your own car. Knowing everything about it including where it's greatest rpm to torque ranges are and ect. Plus then it takes skill to hop off the line and shift perfect everytime without choking or coming off too squirley. You can't throw your average joe into a 305hp STi and expect him to race and beat someone with lots of experience. It's not all about your power but also about how you handle it too. Racing is a sport just as much as skateboarding. Makes sense, since they are called "sports cars" anyway. :rolleyes:

Who would want to drive a POS import with a 4-cylinder engine? Imports like that are not for racing, they are for saving gas. Ill take a Corvette any day.

And, IMHO you can stick the biggest hair dryer you can find on your 4 cylinder engine, but it will never be able to beat an American V8.

And as far as Nascar being a sport, it is. Like it or not.

Who would want to drive a POS import with a 4-cylinder engine? Imports like that are not for racing, they are for saving gas. Ill take a Corvette any day.

And, IMHO you can stick the biggest hair dryer you can find on your 4 cylinder engine, but it will never be able to beat an American V8.

Oh I dont know, the restriction for rally cars is I think a 2 liter engine and the Mitsubishi EVO8 or the Subaru Impreza WRX get a crapload of wallop out of such a small engine.

And having said that rally is my favorite motorsport, because it doesnt depend on you having a nice clean track to race on, you can take a rally car and do some serious driving anywhere from a dirtroad to a trail in the forest (man those races are fun to watch).

Also I could tell the joke about what NASCAR stands for but dont wanna piss off Smartmlp :P

Edited by Mr.48

NASCAR is boring IMHO. if i wanna watch a racing sport ill watch something like Road Ralleys or similar, where they do more than spin in a fecking circle all day long. lol

anyway, as far as my sports, meh lately very little, i go fishing when ive time,i occasionally go hunting (tho, i personally dont consider it a sport perrse, but a "sustaining recreation" ie i keep what i kill and utilise all i can) and, of course, my Chryslers.

Unless bedroom activities count as a sport? :D

edit - bleh if i could type today....

Edited by RKCoon

So let me ask you a question. How good are you with your clutch? Do you even know the first thing about working on a car let alone an import? You see most people just see racing as driving around in circles over and over but thats nascar(and yeah they just drive around in circles hundreds of times and call it a day.. they don't even work on their own cars). Try putting hours of work into your own car. Knowing everything about it including where it's greatest rpm to torque ranges are and ect. Plus then it takes skill to hop off the line and shift perfect everytime without choking or coming off too squirley. You can't throw your average joe into a 305hp STi and expect him to race and beat someone with lots of experience. It's not all about your power but also about how you handle it too. Racing is a sport just as much as skateboarding. Makes sense, since they are called "sports cars" anyway. :rolleyes:

You're talking about skill. I'm not denying it takes skill. But so does Battlefield 2. Is that a sport? I would probably come in last if I was NASCAR racing, I probably wouldn't even finish. But, the reason I would suck wouldn't be any kind of physical shortcoming, it would be because I'm not skilled enough. Another way to think of it: Will lifting weights or running or working out make you better at it? No. Think of other sports (tennis, football, basketball), yes.

So let me ask you a question. How good are you with your clutch? Do you even know the first thing about working on a car let alone an import? You see most people just see racing as driving around in circles over and over but thats nascar(and yeah they just drive around in circles hundreds of times and call it a day.. they don't even work on their own cars). Try putting hours of work into your own car. Knowing everything about it including where it's greatest rpm to torque ranges are and ect. Plus then it takes skill to hop off the line and shift perfect everytime without choking or coming off too squirley. You can't throw your average joe into a 305hp STi and expect him to race and beat someone with lots of experience. It's not all about your power but also about how you handle it too. Racing is a sport just as much as skateboarding. Makes sense, since they are called "sports cars" anyway.  :rolleyes:

You're talking about skill. I'm not denying it takes skill. But so does Battlefield 2. Is that a sport? I would probably come in last if I was NASCAR racing, I probably wouldn't even finish. But, the reason I would suck wouldn't be any kind of physical shortcoming, it would be because I'm not skilled enough. Another way to think of it: Will lifting weights or running or working out make you better at it? No. Think of other sports (tennis, football, basketball), yes.

Driving a car in temperatures of over 100 degrees for 500 laps takes a little bit of physical endurance.

havnt they got AC in their fancy hi-tek NASCARs then...

How well could AC work if every inche of your skin is covered in flame retardant materials? Maybe NASCAR is a bad example... but I consider normal enduro drivers sportsmen. Easily.

I wasn't argueing against racing I was argueing for it fool. :P LOl you must not have heard of the STi before! Your American V8's are laughable when a "pos 4cylinder" boxer engine puts out equal numbers with a turbo on it. :lol: Plus your American "straight line cars" are all rear wheel drive... they are inferior to the suby's AWD turning/traction capability. :lol: Lets see a corvette, gto,or a mustang gt hit a turn like a STi. Nope, try again when you have a new design! :lol: The STi is the best bang for your buck over any muscle car availible man. I've driven my uncle's GTO, I test drove the mustang GT and I ran my friends 04 STi down the track and beat my uncle's GTO(lol he was so pissed xD) My friends got about 8k into it and he paid 25 for it used. He busts low 12's in it usually but I've seen him get in the high 11's a couple times. His engine can handle a 22 lb boost man and thats only as high as he's tried to ever go!!. The STi is going to be the next car I buy! You just need to realize man that forced induction is where it's at when it comes to the import scene. When I mean "import" I mean street racing and rally. The imports dominate for the most part here in vegas. I've seen everything from 81/2 second skylines and golfs to 21 second minivans lol.. Don't get me wrong there ARE fast American cars down the line. They just aren't godly though with their v8's like you think they are. The only american cars I've seen even break 10 seconds were corvettes and those were in the high 9's.. The only way a V8 will ever have te upper hand is in a top end race. Be realistic though, how often are you going to get to top out your car? :rolleyes: Think about this too man, with a manual boost controler my friend can pretty must shut all his boost off for daily driving and get pretty decent mileage!!! He gets better miles than my damn Jetta yo!

Oh I dont know, the restriction for rally cars is I think a 2 liter engine and the Mitsubishi EVO8 or the Subaru Impreza WRX get a crapload of wallop out of such a small engine.

And having said that rally is my favorite motorsport, because it doesnt depend on you having a nice clean track to race on, you can take a rally car and do some serious driving anywhere from a dirtroad to a trail in the forest (man those races are fun to watch).

The Suby for sale in the U.S. has a 2.5 boxer in it. Rally is really fun to watch though! :lol:

Another way to think of it: Will lifting weights or running or working out make you better at it? No. Think of other sports (tennis, football, basketball), yes.

Wrong. Those sports also require skill and practice to play well or at all for that matter. Lifting weights, running, working out, hop scotch, or protein shakes will not help you become a star athlete. They give you the body that you need to become one. You then need to use your body to apply the SKILLS you have learned in that sport to become that superstar. Without the skills you will just be just another "big dude" or whatever.

edit: plus the overall quality of imports is still better than american cars. :rolleyes: Subaru builds some of the most durable car engines in the world dude. Their tranies on the STi are almost bullet proof.

Edited by Slick Willy