DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blackhawk

Us Marines

(1)I was looking at the US Marine in the screenshot and I have to say (again) that the Marines still hold there "rifles" in an incorrect and uncomfortable way. It is a well known rule you always point weapons "down" not up when they are not being used in combat. Will this be fixed?

(2)Why is the M16 so shiny and silverish? It didn't look that great in 1.1 to be honest. In real life it is a lot darker.

(3)Can we expect to see a difference in the M203 from the original generals flashbang? I think having it so the M203 fires a HE grenade every eight burst from the M16A4 would be good and would remove the time consuming process of having to select the option yourself (it doesn't have to take out garrisoned structures).

(4)How about ALL Marines (AT soldiers as well) be able to rapple?

(5) how about making basic urban features be able to be "garrisoned" in which Marines actually hide behind (kneeling) cars and obsticles for cover.

I am interested in what the team has to say especially for number 1 and 2

Feel free to discuss anything else about Marines.

To be honest I thought 1.0 was perfect with the exception of the Marines. It was everything I wanted. 1.1 gave a new model of the Marine which I found rather disapointing as well as the crazy green abrams and paladin. Because of this I stayed with 1.0. 1.1 to me was not a "better" version but rather a "different" version of AAOW.

With the exception of the US Marines I think AAOW is looking VERY good. I believe it is Medicdude that did the marine and I gotta say every other unit he's done is GREAT! Like the UK soldier in CTA.

We're forced to use ZH's animations, so that's as close as it's gonna get. As for the texture, if I remember I'll darken it some. :lol:

Yes, the M203 works in a similar to the flashbangs, but the effects, sounds, upgrade, etc are all different.

As for the rest, it's just not possible with the SAGE engine.

i cant believe your worrying about how they hold their gun when theres more important stuff to worry about

Hahaha! :lol:

Hey Viking, you'd better give them comfy animations, or else they'll be uncontrollable and fight against you!

Hahaha! :lol:

Sorry, but I agree that the rifles do need to be darken. And yes, it does look like they're not holding their rifles in order, not aligned to their hands actually...

You will not say that again...

the rebel holds his gun like a terrorist. He never aims at all.

first of all its just a mod its not real life and the ducking behind cars n stuff like that ur thinking of the game Act Of War with the cool animations n stuff

burton fires from hip, red gaurdes anims are for rifles, not MGs

You are true in that respect, but, the Marine has an M-16A2 Rifle, with an M-203 Grenade Launcher

I think he meant that the Marine uses a Rifle, note the word rifle after the M-16A2. If I remember correctly Burton does NOT fire from the hip. He fires from the shoulder and Paladin makes a good point. The M-16A2 is a rifle. Its a semi-automatic rifle I guess would be more proper.

Its not a machine gun, nor is the Rebel infantry. The rebels had an Ak looking thing, low polies prevent almost anyone from identifing it w/o guessing. I'd say an AK-47. Anyway, it doesn't matter really bout the whole ducking for cover behind cars cause even if garrick and viking being the l33t coders that they are could do it, the damage to the marine would be the same so all that work will be for naught.

The U.S having the Marine clear buildings is good considering the only other way is to fly a chopper in and do the fast rope into the building. And the copter is usually so exposed its shot down before it even reaches it's target so I'd say keep with the clear building ability for the Marine.

Also the Rangers from vanilla ZH and Generals already fire a flashbang every few shots. Just don't switch thier weapons manually unless you plan on building clearing and watch. They move into range and fire a flashbang then a few rounds of M-16 then some more flashbang and if they get close enough I think they stay to M-16 but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think they are fine the way they are. I mean really its just a basic infantry unit. Captures buildings and provides defense when garrisoned. After the 10 minutes of fighting, if either I haven't been wiped out or haven't wiped out my enemy, I'm using tanks and saving the money for marines as either bait for a diversion or trap or as a drop to pull the enemy mobile defenders to the rear while I take down the defenses and then deal with the next wave.

I'd be more concerned with the AT4 guy or hero than a marine. But thats just me.

Victor Carlie has the right animations. It's on the teaser! The hiding behing stuff can be done... i've done it already. If the Marines M203 could harm vehicles maybe he would be more usefull....

heh, marines hiding in dumpsters.

IMO, it would be nice if the m203's fired real grenades and did damage to vehicles and stuff, but if that happened, I'd have to think twice before dismantling some guy's base with a ground force - having heaps of marines being expelled from dying buildings to attack my force isn't something I'd look forward to

(although paratroops would become much more potent - giving them HE grenades might be a good idea).

In an ideal 'standing idle' pose, the marines would hold their weapons like I do:

f88posesmall9gr.jpg

I've only ever held a rifle the way the current in-game marines do (vertically straight-up) when doing ceremonial drill (marching) manuvers - and I'll tell ya, it hurts like hell after the first hour or so.

It's not the most comfortable position bored marines are likely to hold their guns in.

But personally, I really woulnt care much if the pose was changed or not - I had to double check the pose when I read this topic. like IronRaptor said, in-game marines don't really play much of a signifigant role after the first few minutes.

heh, marines hiding in dumpsters.

IMO, it would be nice if the m203's fired real grenades and did damage to vehicles and stuff, but if that happened, I'd have to think twice before dismantling some guy's base with a ground force - having heaps of marines being expelled from dying buildings to attack my force isn't something I'd look forward to

(although paratroops would become much more potent - giving them HE grenades might be a good idea).

In an ideal 'standing idle' pose, the marines would hold their weapons like I do:

f88posesmall9gr.jpg

I've only ever held a rifle the way the current in-game marines do (vertically straight-up) when doing ceremonial drill (marching) manuvers - and I'll tell ya, it hurts like hell after the first hour or so.

It's not the most comfortable position bored marines are likely to hold their guns in.

But personally, I really woulnt care much if the pose was changed or not - I had to double check the pose when I read this topic. like IronRaptor said, in-game marines don't really play much of a signifigant role after the first few minutes.

If the 203 does anti tank damage it would be useful. Victor Charlie has the correct animations. So it can be done and I think it should be done. Its just like a Abram having its main gun on the Chassis instead of the turret.... wouldn't look good...