DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smurf Bizkit

Unit Of The Day: T-28!

New unit - T-28 Superheavy Breakthrough Tank

Late in the war, as the Allies were advancing towards Berlin, an obstacle manifested itself - the Siegfried Line. This massive wall of fortifications, reminiscent of the Atlantic Wall, would have been a deadly barrier to US advances. The solution? Build a giant new tank that could punch through it! The specifications called for a turretless vehicle with 8" of frontal armor and mounting a hgh velocity 105mm T5E1/67 gun. Work began on the new vehicle, designated T-28, in the spring of 1945 at the Pacific Car and Foundry Co. Frontal armor was increased to 12 inches to provide better protection against german antitank guns, namely the 88mm. To move the vehicle, an anemic single Ford GAF V-8 gasoline engine was utilized. However, it only produced 410 horsepower at 2600 RPMs! This gave a pitiful power-to-weight ratio of about 5.4hp per ton. The overworked engine was only able to move the T-28 at eight miles per hour. However, since it was designed to assault enemy fortification which were usually not inclined to move anywhere, this lack of mobility was not too serious of a concern. To lower the ground pressure, four tracks were used instead of the conventional two. Even still, the massive weight of the vehicle made it dangerous to roads which would have been mericlessly crushed beneath its treads. The powerful 105mm cannon that the vehicle mounted would have been effective against all fortifications and would have been very deadly to enemy vehicles, including such monsters as the Maus and JS-3, if they scored a hit. The 105mm cannon had no stabilization and could only fire from a stationary position. Only two were completed, and one remains at the Patton museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

jtsshot1.gif

Here we find a pair of brand new T-28 superheavy tanks rolling down the widest street in town en route to a formerly impenetrable part of the Siegfed Line. The 105mm cannons on the beasts as well as the incredible frontal armor should give the Allies the puch they need that their Shermans lack.

jtsshot2.gif

I also have 2 renders that proclone did of the Tiger and Sherman tanks.

prrender1.gif

prrender2.gif

Smurf the tank is nice but may i ask how much this monster will cost?

Or didn't you price it yet?

(May i ask if the T-55 was some kind of monster tank to)

(Sorry i exedentaly posted as sverkuijlen2003 instead of sverkuijlen2000)

Edited by sverkuijlen2003

Smurf the tank is nice but may i ask how much this monster will cost?

Or didn't you price it yet?

(May i ask if the T-55 was some kind of monster tank to)

(Sorry i exedentaly posted as sverkuijlen2003 instead of sverkuijlen2000)

Hmm, well the super-heavy tanks will be limited to only a couple on the map at a time...as well as it'll take a while to get them. Basically they are the equivalent of the 5 star general special power.

They are not the only five star power though, it depends on which subside or technology you chose in the beginning (Equivalent to the general system). It will probably take around $3000 - 5000 to build one.

hmm, how come u keep showing the same units all the time? :D

We all know what the Sherman looks like now :ph34r:

hmm, how come u keep showing the same units all the time? :D

We all know what the Sherman looks like now :ph34r:

That's only the third pic of that tiger so far and both the tiger and sherman haven't been shown in such detail before so yeah, it serves a purpose.

Personally I'm no fan of the T-28. Yes that screenie is not new but the post is worth the read just for the following two pics alone :o

I dont' know why people keep taking pics of the sherman...why not the sherman firefly? pershing? hellcat? new jeep skin, etc? thus I'll be using those other units for this week

Because the Russian units don't have their skins, the German tanks supposedly need reskins, and the Hellcat is wrong :ph34r: Though perhaps we can just ask people if they care enough or not. Shall I ask here?

just like with technicals. We can have different images for one unit. Personally that looks like nothing more than a jsu 152 on steroids.

Sign in to follow this