DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Godwin

Windows Not Starting

Okay time for the computer saviours to show yourselves.

My WindowsXP is not starting, it gets stuck at the black WinXP load screen with the scrolling blue progress bar forever.

Safe mode loads fine, but after viewing the event logs and whatnot I couldn't figure out what happened. Before all this, Windows did not crash, I restarted it (through the zonealarm installer because it asked me to restart before installing) and well, it never did.

So... err help?

Anyways I'll be away till next Saturday, so yeah, do do try to give suggestions.

(I did find some event notices saying this and that failed to start, I initially thought they were generated during startup, but it couldn't be because the event services module doesn't start until you enter Windows itself. I've turned off some startup services but still no luck)

Edited by Godwin

can't you roll back to times before installing ZoneAlarm? since you said it's after installing ZoneAlarm your system won't start.

"forever" as in...... longer than 30min?

have you had any BSOD, crashes etc?

See i hate zone alarm, because they have a habit ofa causing problems like this.....you might need to unistall it, in safe mode and see if it allows you to boot up...

(This is why I am shortly switching to Linux)

I do not know why your computer would take unreasonably long to start up but the good thing is that it starts in Safe mode. Try to trace back your steps such as removing the last program you installed etc.

When was the last time you restarted?

Why did you restart this time, to finished the Zone Alarm install?

Windows XP Home or Pro?

^^^^ what they all said - try using system restore. If that doesn't work you can do a "repair" of the Win XP kernel which may fix it.

This is done as follows -

boot of the XP cd and enter setup

don't choose "repair console" it's a trick

select to install to the same location as your windows folder

it should detect the install and offer you the choise to repair it...

Go for it!

The good thing about this method is that it just reinstals the kernel and so your other programmes (and afaik stuff like the registry) shouldn't be affected.

don't choose "repair console" it's a trick

lol I prefer using repair console. Maybe because lots of variety can be done for expert users.

When it says "Press R" for Recovery Console, it will bring you to a command console. There's counter there, don't do anything until it finished. Type in "1" for your selected Windows. Then type in password for your Windows but I usually didn't put it because for fixing something like this. If you don't have any password, just press Enter. Now, this is the command console just like command prompt in Windows.

Type in "chkdsk". This is for simple disk checking. Fast.

Type in "chkdsk /p". Thoroughly checking the Windows and fix it. Requires some time.

Type in "chkdsk /r". Will implies "chkdsk /p" function plus checking the bad sectors on the drive. Takes long time.

You can do other things. To see other commands, type "help". If you want to know what that command's for, type in "help <the command>".