DerelictStudios Forums
Smurf Bizkit

Scrin! Errr...kinda

Here are the screen shots from the C&C3 article in the "Games for Windows" magazine. I only scanned in shots that include the Aliens (which for some reason EA isn't calling them "Scrin"). The actual article has little actual new information in it...and you can find that elsewhere. Apologies for the kinda poor scan quality, my scanner is ancient and there is only so much Photoshop can do to improve the quality.

cnc3_gfw_2_s.jpg cnc3_gfw_3_s.jpg cnc3_gfw_4_s.jpg

You can see a tiny concept art image for one of the Alien units here as well.

I would suggest you save these to your harddrive if you wish to look at them later, I doubt these will be up long.

I don't like these alien style units in C&C 3.

*Cries something about MRLS, SSM Lauchers, Medium tanks and Chem-Warriors*

Edited by From Norway

They look alright, like every other stereotypical alien race and mechanical design ever conceived. I can see a bit of starship troopers, half life 2, halo 2 and dark sector thrown into it.

I wish they'd make the aliens another color. I'm sick of ALWAYS seeing blue and purple aliens.

I like the aliens of the 1950s better. At least they had some sort of mechanical element to them. I'm really getting sick of the organic bug aliens. The exoskeleton biological model just doesn't work nearly as efficiently when scaled up like that. It's all really silly and almost less plausible than some of the flying saucer extraterrestrials of yesteryear. Give me even an Independence Day-esque or Stargate-esque alien in a game for once. The "aliens = bugs" model is wearing itself out. Starship Troopers, MIB, Starcraft--enough.

Logan Hartke

I would have prefered a mechanical "replicator" style of race, one that transform its subunits into different combat vehicles back and forth...

I like the aliens of the 1950s better. At least they had some sort of mechanical element to them. I'm really getting sick of the organic bug aliens. The exoskeleton biological model just doesn't work nearly as efficiently when scaled up like that. It's all really silly and almost less plausible than some of the flying saucer extraterrestrials of yesteryear. Give me even an Independence Day-esque or Stargate-esque alien in a game for once. The "aliens = bugs" model is wearing itself out. Starship Troopers, MIB, Starcraft--enough.

Logan Hartke

You won't be dissapointed then ;)

The Aliens actually have quite a metallic look to them ingame; it struck me that they didn't look like Zerg rip offs! And for the blue/purple: housecolors.

I would have prefered a mechanical "replicator" style of race, one that transform its subunits into different combat vehicles back and forth...

They did that in Ground Control 2, it was interesting but a little confusing. Speaking of the game, the aliens' design does bear a resemblance here too.

Well the Corrupter and Shock Troopers look especially ugly. I still prefer Godwin's Scrin designs in AR2. More like if an actual society evolved, so it wouldn't be a illogical POC. Still, at least I am vindicated - it is Aliens. I was right.

In Starcraft the Zerg WERE bugs, not just vehicles that LOOK like bugs.

Why doesn't EA want to call them the Scrin?

I think the gameplay in the new C&C is gonna rock.. however I'm a little anxious about how the story will pan out.

Well I dont really know much about the Tiberium universe story, but I think that perhaps these could not be the Scrin. I mean, they sent down Tiberium to take over the planet and have waited this long, so surely they'd wait another few years until it had done its job and knocked out at least the GDI. Perhaps it's another race who are being opportunistic and trying to steal in on the prize?

Yeah, all the better if they don't, then AR2 can claim authenticity and antiquity :P Kidding, we've kinda grown tired of the name ourselves, that it associated itself to the C&C universe too much.

On the gameplay, it just looks like a 3D RA2 to me, very fast, very... simple.

Well actually, I was looking around, someone said in Old English, Scrin means Vessel. Would make sense, but then again, if Kane built the ship, he would be using Hebrew, not Old English. I doubt the Aliens speak Old English.

Someone on the Official forums. Like I (didn't) said, I doubt it, but still.

And anyways, anything special would be pronounced in Hebrew.

Well actually, I was looking around, someone said in Old English, Scrin means Vessel. Would make sense, but then again, if Kane built the ship, he would be using Hebrew, not Old English. I doubt the Aliens speak Old English.

If Kane was quite literally the Biblical Kane would not Aramaic be his native tongue? Not Yiddish.

If Kane can speak Modern English, why wouldn't he be able to speak Olde English?

Is there anything that shows a link between the damned ship from TS and these aliens?

Did you not already see the fact that the word 'Scrin' has yet to even be fucking mentioned by EA?

Did I not already tell you I won?

:domo: