DerelictStudios Forums
Pranadevil

Struggle Of Addiction

No, this isn't about drugs, this is about World of Warcraft.

I've been playing World of Warcraft since November 2, 2005. I had a level 60 Night Elf Warrior on the Durotan server. I belonged to a large end game raiding guild that was currently raiding Naxxramas, which is the most difficult instance currently ingame. I had about 120 days played on my account. That's equal to 2,880 hours in total. While granted I left the game running many times while I wasn't even playing, that's still a very large number.

Today, after 411 days playing this game on a near daily basis, I cancelled my account. It wasn't an easy thing to do cancelling my account, but I did it, and I have no intention of ever reactivating it. Blizzard is evil, and so are their games. It's just a fact.

While World of Warcraft is a quality game, I don't think the game itself is entirely the addiction. I continued playing the game mainly because of the people I know in the game, not so much because the game itself is just godly, because it's not. After a while you get to know the people in your guild very well (presuming you're in one), and that's what I think most people have difficulty leaving behind, although that may not necessarily be the case for everyone, I think that's why most people continue playing month after month.

Either way, take my advice...

NEVER BUY WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

Apparently WoW is still affecting your brain.  You're instictivly ignoring 'get laid.' :P

Well, I only just cancelled my account a couple of hours ago. I wouldn't be surprised if my brain ignores a lot for the next week or so. But I'll give you a call when I start thinking clearly, okay? ;)

the problem isnt the product its the user, like opiates :P

I'd have to disagree. While myself and others should have more self control over the time we invest in playing games, I've never experienced such problems with any other game, and I have played a lot of games in my life time. Either way, I'm finished with the game, and I'm not letting myself ever fall into any type of addiction ever again. It's all about learning from your mistakes.

thats ok, I wouldnt want to admit it was my problem either :lol:

but seriously, it may be a very well made game, but something cant be right in the rest of your life when the game becomes a better option and you invest so much time in it.Not having a go by the way, Im sure everyone has experienced times when they would rather be somewhere else.

I know it was my problem. If I didn't I probably would have just tried to sue Blizzard, but that'd be stupid for more than one reason. The first reason being that I wouldn't win the lawsuit, and the second reason being that I don't deserve to win it. However, the manner in which the game is designed requires you to consume so much time if you want to ever accomplish anything in the game itself. But I take responsibility for having bought the game and played it so much even despite the fact that's most likely entirely what Blizzard expected to achieve with the game.

Edited by Pranadevil

fair point, Ive never played it so I cant really judge, but I was worried my youngest brother would get very addicted, but he seems to have lost interest about a month into it playing very little each day.

fair point, Ive never played it so I cant really judge, but I was worried my youngest brother would get very addicted, but he seems to have lost interest about a month into it playing very little each day.

Well, while others might disagree, I don't think you really become addicted until after you hit level 60.

Well, while others might disagree, I don't think you really become addicted until after you hit level 60.

That's what all my friends said.

You know what?

Since I've hit 60 I've run two ZG's, and Onyxia, and a MC. And I find it boring as all hell. I haven't logged in for about a week now, and I think that the game is more boring after you hit 60.

That's what all my friends said.

You know what?

Since I've hit 60 I've run two ZG's, and Onyxia, and a MC. And I find it boring as all hell. I haven't logged in for about a week now, and I think that the game is more boring after you hit 60.

There is a big difference between running instances on easy-mode, or in PuG's to working on conquering new content where there are no public strategies. That is what kept me playing WoW...the challenge of having to come with your own strategies and eventually succeed. I hated farming the instances for the 500th time for that item with a 2% drop rate.

@Pranadevil, Good for you. :) Take my advice though, sell your account ASAP. Although I know how much of a time waster WoW was for me...the only thing that has prevented me from going back was knowing that it wasn't possible for me to go back on my godly-geared character. The idea of having to go through 1-60 and having to re-epic myself kills any "man it would be cool to play WoW a bit again..." ideas.

Yeah, I managed to break myself away from consider WoW. The box itself just has "flunk out of school" written all over it.

You're both wrong.

"We're too late... Without the sword the players will fail"

"If we could get to a computer we could sign onto the World of Warcraft and give the boys the sword online"

"I don't have a World of Warcraft account, do you?"

"No, I have a life"

I broke my addiction easy as pie because all the people I knew/liked stopped playing or went their own way. Must be even harder to break clean from a good social group...