DerelictStudios Forums
Count von Phoib

Quest To Crack Cdata

With the C&C3 demo out, we can start looking at the XML files, but... most of it is in a cdata format, which looks like a memory dump for now.

Untill we crack it, there is little hope of editing the demo, or perhaps the game.

I've taken a small file, which is called 166b084d.46410f77.1a7892fd.f1f06a39.cdata

Not a really intelligeble name...

I've uploaded the file as attachment.

Anyone having clues?

166b084d.46410f77.1a7892fd.f1f06a39.zip

Tried looking through that file and a few others in hex but didnt see any familiar patterns. But then again Im still not convinved it was even exported properly cos the current big extractors dont quite work with c&c3 big files yet. At least the targas and pretty screwed. Might just have to give it some time.

In XML terms, "CDATA" refers to "character data" or data that is ignored by the XML parser even if it looks like XML. Still makes no sense in this context, though. "Compressed Data" sounds far more likely.

There's way too much data in that .big file. The only thing that you know is that the data you're looking for is encoded somewhere in that 810mb file. The easiest way to go about this would probably be to just ask EA.

Well, I've sucessfully extracted DDS files from some of the .cdata files.

The DDS files aren't actually compressed, but they have a bunch of undecipherable data preceding the DDS header. Removing the data at the beginning of the file will allow the DDS file to be opened in photoshop (or whatever).

I wrote a small program which automatically scans and decodes all .cdata files in the folder. If no DDS header is found, the file is skipped (usually).

EDIT: It appears that the static_demo_common folder in the .big is comprised exclusively of DDS files.

CnC3_Decompressor.zip

Hi all!

My English so bad, sorry =( But i must catch some sounds! (I want Aliens mothership sounds)

I have a problem with Cdata files. MB someone help me with this god damned files.

1. I use BIGEditorBeta05 on EnglishAudio.big has received many cdata files

2. Download CnC3_Decompressor, drag all files in folder with cdata. Start CnC3 Decompressor.exe. And this is all.

Try use soundforge and Cooleditpro. It is useless

Please! Show me a way! :o

XmlTextReader class to read Extensible Markup Language (XML) from a file. XmlTextReader provides direct parsing and tokenizing of XML and implements the XML 1.0 specification as well as the namespaces in the XML specification from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). This article provides fast, tokenized stream access to XML rather than using an object model such as the XML Document Object Model (DOM).