DerelictStudios Forums

With the help from you guys in the other cnc3 texture topic, I ripped the C&C3 textures and have sorted through all 1,000 or so of them.

Cameo's!

Here are some cameo's (units, buildings and mission objectives) that I thought were interesting;

cnc3_new_units.jpg

my best guess at what they are;

-superweapon orca, superweapon nod plane, visceriod, wtf? that better be a joke

-campaign buildings/units

- no clue, no clue, campaign building of some sort, mutant

Alternate Textures

Additionally each faction has an alternate set of textures, gdi gets blue-grey with black/white line(checkered) detailing, and nod gets pure red with white detailing. These are the bonus's for those who bought the kane edition I believe.

HC_ ?

There are sets of "HC_" prefix'd textures. Now I remember the art director saying early on that they were having issues with contrast on units (specifically nod and such) and its lighting per map type (eg. nod units looked far too black on yellow zones). I think that these textures (which are just black/white low-res images) are meant to be used to offset this somehow.

Unit Textures

All units and buildings have three textures; diffuse, normal and spec maps. The first two are standard. The second however, is quite different. Spec maps in C&C3 are not the same as in most games, in which it is just black/white exaggerated images showing what should get lighting highlights more. While it serves the same function, most C&C3 spec maps are red/black...and have additional colors to show where additional shaders go.

I'm still trying to decipher them but from what I can tell;

yellow = glossy windows

blue = may be remap colors (not sure)

purple = sensor scan object (its only seen on units who use the scanning)

cnc3_specmap.jpg

Good to know BEST BUYS still exist in 2047. :D

Anyways, mind uploading the textures for these following units' cameos:

- GDI riflemen

- GDI rocket troops

- GDI grenadier

- Nod riflemen

- Nod rocket troops

And also, could you upload those infantry units' textures here?

Edited by Alex07

That's what I was thinking, too...

Probably that the Best Buy bonus map includes a Best Buy building on it...

Edited by Alex07

And they left these in the demo because...?

It was rushed. Horribly rushed. ;)

Is that why the keyboard shortcut to select Nod during skirmish was useable?

In regard to the cameos I like how they are presented and the size is decent enough, but some of the angles they've used seem badly considered. Although for our mods I guess there are opportunities for some creative cropping whilst still allowing the unit/building to be recognised.

Edited by Greggy

HC_ ?

Yeah, I think this is just high contrast.

Unit Textures

All units and buildings have three textures; diffuse, normal and spec maps.

There are also damage maps which are like the regular textures, but show the building/unit in some damaged state.

Edit: Using every day words (to mean their every day meaning) in a context where they're used as jargon to mean a specific thing different to the every day thing is bad. :(

Edited by booto

HC - House Color

I don't think they are house color textures, unless I missed it being listed in its alpha channel somewhere. The texture is just a plain greyscale version of the textures...almost like unexaggerated spec maps.

And they left these in the demo because...?

It was rushed. Horribly rushed. ;)

Is that why the keyboard shortcut to select Nod during skirmish was useable?

And the same reason there's still references to BfME code in the demo, yes. Tons of references, even. Just try decoding/decrypting some of the demo data.

There are always references to past games. I believe there were some Generals files left laying around in BFME. It's just easier to leave a little extra junk than risk breaking something, especially since any change has to go through QA again. It's the same reason that the Hot Coffee scenes were disabled but left in GTA.

HC - House Color

I don't think they are house color textures, unless I missed it being listed in its alpha channel somewhere. The texture is just a plain greyscale version of the textures...almost like unexaggerated spec maps.

=)

post-152-1173615864.jpg

if you inverse the logic, you could make them sharper looking by increasing their size?

sigh...wish we could start importing /exporting models already, but it seems it is going to take the long wait till EA dumps its SDK into the modding scene.

If you know much about 3d modelling and what sort of information would need to be stored in the various W3D* Resource Types, feel free to have a go at picking the file formats apart. :)