DerelictStudios Forums

I already know, from exterior sources, that the format is no longer W3D but a customized W3X format.

But helas, I'm a 100% technical/artisitic 3d-modeler and not of the "programmer" type.

I think Rene, a Dutch guy who's sometimes to be found on Deezire.net, would be the man to talk about these things.

Me, I can only push vertices around...

I hope the SDK comes out soon after the release instead of 3 years like with Generals.

and my account appears to have been deleted.. inactivity I guess..

Edited by Mighty BOB!

I already know, from exterior sources, that the format is no longer W3D but a customized W3X format.

But helas, I'm a 100% technical/artisitic 3d-modeler and not of the "programmer" type.

I think Rene, a Dutch guy who's sometimes to be found on Deezire.net, would be the man to talk about these things.

Me, I can only push vertices around...

I say W3D* resource types, because within the files, the resources are internally referred to as:

W3DAnimation

W3DCollisionBox

W3DContainer

W3DHierachy

W3DMesh

These are not names I've arbitrarily assigned to them, they are the internal names that the streams refer to themselves as. Whether or not the name is a misnomer or not, I am not to say...

I'm pretty sure there WILL be an SDK, or the most minimal of mod support, because EA has actually acknowledged and even shown interest to helping "mod makers" in their latest designer diary about AI on Gamespot.

There will be an SDK, the only questions are what is in it and when it'll be released.

They will not have any w3x importer utility, since EA never makes importers...they only ever export. We may end up getting their source 3dsmax files though for much of C&C3.

And w3x is just a continuation of w3d, how so? aside from it somehow using xml...I have no clue.

The tall building with the blue streaks is a Prisim Tower from Red Alert 2.

Although, that is supposed to be in an alternate universe.

Edited by Kael1

The tall building with the blue streaks is a Prisim Tower from Red Alert 2.

Although, that is supposed to be in an alternate universe.

I doubt it. I think it looks more like either some kind of energy-based wall defense (like the NOD Laser-Wall from Tiberian Sun, or the GDI Firestorm) or some kind of wall post.

I can, however, with near 100% certainty, say that the NOD aircraft beside the unidentified Orca is the Vertigo Bomber, NOD's primary anti-structure aircraft.

Edited by Arcalane

All over the board. Some infantry uses 512, others 256. The Avatar uses a 256, and the tiny little repair drones use 512. :o Most of the Scrin units seem to use 256.

Seems there has been a lack of production pipeline coordination at EA :)

Anyway, 256x256 is a fair start for infantry...

a good artist will always be able to do more on a 256 then an 128 canvas...

If you can't do better on a bigger canvas, you're not a good pixel artist... :)