DerelictStudios Forums
Xenkan

Windows 2000 Patch (full)

For the people using Windows 2000, I've created a patch which fixes the Windows 2000 incompatibilities in Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars. This patch should work with ALL versions of CNC3, and allow you to play if you receive any of the following errors:

- The procedure entry point GetVolumePathNamesForVolumeNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

- ***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initialized properly

- The dynamic link library gdiplus.dll could not be found in the specified path

You can download the patch at any of these sites:

http://www.cnc-source.com/forums/index.php...oads&showfile=2

http://www.cnc3files.com/file/9

http://www.voidshard.net/Xenkan/CNC3Patch

If you want to be completely up to date, I recommend the following steps:

1) Install CNC3 from Game Disc (if you haven't already)

You probably receive an error when you insert your DVD. You need to run setup.exe directly.

2) Install Xenkan patch

This will allow you to...

3) Run Command & Conquer 3

4) From the Main Menu, choose Multiplayer -> Online

CNC3 will automatically patch to the latest version.

Alternatively, you can download the latest offical patch here: ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/eapacific/cnc3/

EA's patches are cumulative. You don't need to install them all one by one, just install the latest.

5) Install Xenkan patch again

6) Have fun!

Many thanks go to Mighty BOB! and mastermind for offering to mirror this patch ^_^

Edited by Xenkan

I can't seem to get mine to work, but i will reinstall and try again. before applying the patch i get this.

The procedure entry point GetVolumePathNamesForVolumeNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

After the patch I get this.

***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initialized properly

Hmm, I don't know if this makes a difference, but what edition and language do you have? For example, I have Kane Edition - English

I uninstalled and reinstalled several times and it worked for me, although it is 3:00AM here... :P

FYI, the folks on EA's forum seem to be suggesting that you delete your CNC3 folder should you have to completely reinstall:

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?t...start=0&start=0

EDIT: Lazzak, also make sure you don't have the Compatibility Mode option turned on. I don't think this is enabled by default, but maybe you tried it earlier as a possible fix? Right click on CNC3 shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Uncheck "Run in compatibility mode"

Edited by Xenkan

Ok, this time I got it to work..

First install i did, i used a custom directory in my G: drive and it didn't work

second install, i used the defualt directory in the C: drive, this time worked perfectly.

I deleted all the folders on the G drive for the first attempt but maybe there were registry files laying around.

Good job, atleast i can play it now.

I'll probably try it again on my G: to see if it will work.

EDIT: Ok, this time it worked on my G: drive too...I must have had some junk left behind somewhere before

Thanks again, Xenkan.

Edited by Lazzak

After the patch this afternoon, our great little fix won't work anymore. Any chance you can update it so we can go back to playing?

Thanks so much.

Hey dbqjp! I'm working on it right now :)

Slightly off topic: I wish they'd make up their mind whether they wanted to label the patches v1.2 or v1.02 There's a discrepancy of eighteen hundredths of a version!!

What is the since hosting the patch on a site that has bandwidth limits? How long until the limits are reset? I would like the patch but cannot get to the site to get it.

You could also create a gmail/yahoo mailbox and post it there too.

Oh, hey, there's a 1.04 patch!

*stops skirmishing in order to work on patch*

Thanks for the head's up Xilosciente! :P

Hi Xilosciente,

I've updated my Windows 2000 patch for versions 1.04+

http://www.voidshard.net/Xenkan/CNC3Patch

I changed how this patch is programmed so that it searches for the incompatibilities, and patches them wherever they appear in the .exe This means that, unless EA makes drastic changes, this patch should work with all past, present, and future versions of CNC3

Also, the source code for the patch is now available to anyone who is interested

Have fun!