DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smurf Bizkit

World Builder Goodness

I've added a couple of tutorials covering some basic things needed for mapping effectively.

The first tutorial is Getting The Minimap To Show Up, to save those of you who don't wish to hunt through forum posts and news page comments.

The second tutorial is How to view the official C&C3 Maps in the World Builder.

The third tutorial, is essential for anyone wishing to create convincing Red Zone maps because it goes over how to properly use Post Effect Options and has a download to .tga's not included with the World Builder.

And a C&C3 Map

I decided to write them after having to figure out how to do them the hard way with the following map. The primary reason to make the map was to experiment with whats available in the World Builder, and see what can be of use for the as of yet undisclosed mod we're working on.

The map is called "Scorched Earth 2" and is an overhaul of an imported official Genreals map (the geometry is largely the same, but the objects and textures had to be redone). I quite like how it turned out, the lighting gives it quite an ethereal effect.

scorched_earth_2_1_s.jpg scorched_earth_2_2_s.jpg scorched_earth_2_3_s.jpg

You can download the map here. Note, I've tested this pretty extensively online...and for some reason it won't transfer fully. I'm not sure why, hell I'm not sure if its possible to transfer maps successfully period. Now of course the map does work perfectly for skirmish and in multiplayer provided that both players have it prior to the match.

Note: It is a really tiny map.

Also, longtime DS staff member DarkAlex also has a C&C3 map up which you can find over at C&C Den.

EXE file should be done and working. Smurf is just seeing if it will transfer online and all of those other fun things.

I'll also set up EXE installers for maps for people as long as I can also put the map online at CNC3Files. I'd give out the source for my installer script, but it requires the installer toolkit to be installed as well.

Edited by mastermind

I don't even have the game yet, and I can't even run Worldbuilder on Generals. I tried to make a map for the first time. Ten seconds later I gave up.

If I did have it, I wouldn't be so desperate for a game of BltizKrieg 2.

Anyone want to play?

the basics, yes.  thing I see more now is CnC 3 is 75% lighting 25% actual map making.

Nah, the lighting takes a few seconds to do...max if you're basing it off of a preset zone and not inventing something new.

Fyi, I think the map transfer problem might be due to the custom art file...not sure though. Since Hawk says a map of his transfered fine, and it didn't have a proper minimap image.

Fyi, I think the map transfer problem might be due to the custom art file...not sure though. Since Hawk says a map of his transfered fine, and it didn't have a proper minimap image.

I tried to do it with a custom mini map and it diddn't work. It says it transfers but then it gets stuck on 99% of the actual loading of the game.

Sign in to follow this