DerelictStudios Forums
Count von Phoib

Nuke The Bastards

Teenager stoned to death in front of hundreds

In Bashika, Mosul, hundreds of men beat and stoned a 17 year old woman named Du'a Khalil Aswad to death, in a gruesome example of collective 'honour killing'. The woman, a member of the Yezidi religion which is practised by Kurds in Northern Iraq, ran away from her family to join an Arab Muslim man with whom she had fallen in love and had been meeting secretly, but he rejected her. Damned under the 'honour' code, for running away, for choosing outside her own community and for being ultimately rejected, Du'a had nowhere to go.

There was a movie made of this... I saw it... Literally hundreds of men around a girl, who cowers on the ground while groups of men kick her. In the end, they get a huge construction block and throw it on her head.

It's just... appaling. I don't get why anybody is even willing to take the trouble to pacify them. Those basterds deserved Saddam. With him gone, I think it really would make the world a better place if all troops were withdrawn, and the whole country was just turned into one huge glass desert...

They hate each other way too much to coexist in the borders the British defined for the region many decades ago. Just let them split, and if they want out of the hellhole they can work at it themselves.

Appalling, but not isolated.

Edited by Rattuskid

They hate each other way too much to coexist in the borders the British defined for th region many decades ago. Just let them split, and if they want out of the hellhole they can work at it themselves.

Appalling, but not isolated.

but it's because they hate each other so much that we can't just leave them to their own devices. what do you think will happen to an independent Kurdistan? it's not ethical to just abandon them and let the turks and arabs do as they please to the kurds either.

Edited by Monkey

And it's ethical what they are doing there?

of course not! what I'm saying is that there is no good solution to the issue, and not even just leaving it alone is 'right'. it's just a total clusterfuck.

Edited by Monkey

but it's because they hate each other so much that we can't just leave them to their own devices. what do you think will happen to an independent Kurdistan?

Probably the same thing that would happen to Kurd terroritories in normal Iraq, only with more brevity.

Saying things will go to hell if we leave is a good reason to stay is based upon the false assumption that those same bad things won't happen simply because we have troops there.

but it's because they hate each other so much that we can't just leave them to their own devices. what do you think will happen to an independent Kurdistan?

Probably the same thing that would happen to Kurd terroritories in normal Iraq, only with more brevity.

Saying things will go to hell if we leave is a good reason to stay is based upon the false assumption that those same bad things won't happen simply because we have troops there.

Never said I thought we should stay. personally I think it's time to leave, seeing that we obviously aren't making things a lot better - all I meant was that there is no good solution. even 'nuclear fire' would prevent the salvage of at least a little oil out of the deal, as long as we're all being fatalistic and cynical.

Edited by Monkey

So let me get this straight, Islamist groups are denouncing the Yezidi for committing heinous crimes against women? Islamist groups?

Online petitions - yep, definitely going to convince religious extremists to change their ways.

Edited by Scurvy Dog

t3h online petition - sign of failure.

Yeah I heard about this and was gonna post about it...but meh thought had to take a little break in between my Middle East Craziness # (what number are we on now?) topics...guess shoulda not <_<. This defenitley calls for a reevaluation of what we are fucking doing there. These people don't frickin want democracy and decide to act like 6th century savages.

<_<

It is impossible to stop them, There is no country to fight there is no general to get a surrender from and there wont be a treaty. I think we are closer to solving the mysteries of the universe then solving the problems of the middle east. :wacko:

Nuclear fire.

Yes, when you can't solve your problems, wiping the slate clean with genocide is always a good idea. We can flush our pain down the drain and forget that bad things happen that we can't do anything about.

(I realize it's a joke.)

Edited by Nox

Honor killings are a huge problem for women in the Muslim world. Meanwhile the Commission on the Status of Women, a UN organization specifically aimed to help women around the world is doing jack shit about it. During their latest meetings they came up with the following resolutions: http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/csw51...esolutions.html

I especially like this one Sponsored by Pakistan where honor killings are common and almost never prosecuted, to vaguely condemn the "Israeli occupation" for making Palestinian women suffer, when the Palestinian Authority blatantly allows honor killings.

Also, the Iranian crackdown on "improper dress" is pretty

to say the least. Edited by Mr.48

You can hate the people as much as you want but understand that this is a system of control where people are indoctrinated to perform horrendous acts like these, I mean they make these people believe they will go to hell if they don't stone that sinful woman to restore their honor, just like in the middle ages where people were mislead by the Roman Catholic Church during the whole inquisition thing. You could argue that we don't live in the middle ages anymore but then consider the tremendous liberty and security we are blessed with in our western world which these people don't have and thus are more susceptible to fearmongering. Just look at countries like Algeria and Turkey, these people will fight for their given right to be free because their governments back up that idea.

I'm not trying to lecture anyone but as I see the retarded comments on nuking pass by (it's not funny anymore, and that not alone because of it's inoriginality).

You could argue that we don't live in the middle ages anymore but then consider the tremendous liberty and security we are blessed with in our western world which these people don't have and thus are more susceptible to fearmongering.

So what're we supposed to do, 'liberate' them? We tried that, chief.

Me, I'm all for killing the whole bloody lot of them.

Maybe I'm biast.

There are some problems that can't be solved with quick, decisive action, or, indeed, perhaps any action on our part at all. It hurts to stand by and watch as atrocities are committed -- which shows at least that our compassion, however misplaced and twisted, is still extant -- but this is a situation where most attempts at intervention -- especially the quick, "decisive" action our instant-gratification-obsessed culture favors -- can only cause more harm and more atrocities. It has been said that cultural change is glacial; this is especially true when another culture tries to artificially induce change. (Remember when you did something just because your parents told you not to? It's the same thing, only on a scale of millions of people mass murdering innocents instead of one naive child eating dirt. And the kid thinks Mommy is Satan.)

I don't think we can just ignore the issue, but we can't change these people. We can suggest and nudge and push gently, but the only way this is going to stop if they change themselves. It won't happen overnight, nor over a year nor likely even a decade. (How long did the Middle Ages last, to consider our own fundamentalist fanaticism period?) But that doesn't mean they deserve to die, or even that we can just run away and ignore them (which we can't do anyway due to the oil issue, of course -- another huge problem with this whole situation, because any Western action is colored by the need to maintain stability in the oil industry).

You could argue that we don't live in the middle ages anymore but then consider the tremendous liberty and security we are blessed with in our western world which these people don't have and thus are more susceptible to fearmongering.

So what're we supposed to do, 'liberate' them? We tried that, chief.

We're supposed to dialog with them, and not threaten and UN sanction the crap out them. But try explaining that to the crazies.

So let me get this straight: you guys went in there for no reason whatsoever and fuck the place up, and now you are bitching about chaos and murder? And I know honour killings are going on all over the whole muslim world but you have to understand where that is coming from. Who preaches this kind of filth? The people who want and probably have control and power, and want to keep it that way with fear. It's not hard to understand, it's exactly what Nox is referring to what happened during the middle ages in Europe, the division of christianity.

So step away from the left-right paradigm because it's not us against them it's all of us, one humanity that has to evolve and we will not continue to prosper at all the way it is going now. We are at the maximum of our parasitic, warmongering behaviour and if we don't change it now we're all screwed.

So let me get this straight: you guys went in there for no reason whatsoever and fuck the place up, and now you are bitching about chaos and murder?

Looks like someone's not familiar with representative democracy.