DerelictStudios Forums
IconOfEvi

Beehives Just Kicked In, Y0!

Well:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/ap_on_...oneybee_die_off

This was over the news a little while ago, and sadly, its getting little if any attention. Huge amounts of beehives have been found dead, for reasons totally unknown! No one knows, though for now its certain its not pesticides (goodbye anti-DDT-fanatics)! Its even worse cause huge amounts of the plant population and food supply - anything with flowers - is in danger of death too because bees polinate them.

What is worrying is how bees are so unimmune to disease! Yet the honey they make is the only food known that does not spoil, ever! I do not even now how that works, jeez. Let's just hope this die-off is temporary - bees are amazing animals.

(Thanks to k4 for finding the article :P)

We talked about this in envi sci today. I heard something that it has to do with cell phone tower radiation that confuses the bees to go to the tower and not to their hive. The way bees find their way back is by a sound (correct me if im wrong) and the cell phone towers emit a similar sound that fucks them up. (we cant hear this sound)

Then didn't this happen on a slightly lesser scale five years ago?

Not saying it can't be part of the cause, but that mostly sounds like the env sci teacher scaremongering against the "evil cell phones".

Exactly, how long do cell phones exist now? And strangely, bio bees are not suffering from this at all. It could be the genetically modified crops imo.

Well, if it's a sound thing, it's worth checking up, and easy to remedy, just make a small box generate the same sound with the same frequency, but starting so that the 2 waves cancel each other out.

And easy to check up as well...

To be honest, it's the most plausible sollution I heard yet, being the only sollution I heard.

Yes, sound CAN interfere destructively like that. The auditorium on my uni campus has a sound-canceler system installed in its air ducts; I got to play with it for my Acoustics and Recording Techniques classes. It just creates the opposite of the sound presence, and poof, it goes away almost completely.

Of course sound can destructively interfere. We've all been to high school, right? Anyway Icon, you have no basis at all to say that it isn't sound related or otherwise cell phone tower related. None, at all so your comment is pretty confusing.

If its stumping people in the scientific field I doubt a bunch of assholes at the DS forums (myself included) are going to solve it, but it is nice to see Icon (who basically represents the extreme right) fear mongering about the environment for once (lol @ the "anti-DDT-fanatics" comment, classic).

(goodbye anti-DDT-fanatics)

DDT is inherently an insecticide. The main complaints about it have been not because it kills bugs (which would be like complaining that glycol is a heatsink or that sulphuric acid is corrosive, ah dur), but because it kills birds, neurologically fucks up mammals and can even be traced to human disease increases, such as asthma, and even birth defects.

What is worrying is how bees are so unimmune to disease! Yet the honey they make is the only food known that does not spoil, ever! I do not even now how that works, jeez.

Insects, especially non-predatory ones don't need a lot of immune system. They don't live long enough for it to matter, and especially in bees since only the drones and queen get to pass on their genetic code. Now, on the other hand, there are virtually no known infectious diseases that harm spiders. Likely because of their diet relying on suck dirty things. Doesn't make them clean though, kinda like how mosquitos don't die of malaria they just give it to you.

That and pure sugar, if kept dry and away from animals will never go bad, mostly because bacteria need proteins to digest, otr at least simpler carbs. Now, this isn't practical since water is a fact of life, and even air humidty ruins sugar eventually. So the only real solution would be to put sugar in some kind of suspension and presty-bingo... honey.

Your shoot-from-the-hip approach to scientific understanding has always been mildly annoying, Icon, but I think you now officially crossed over to disturbing. Next you'll tell us with certainty that liberal farts cause global warming.

Your shoot-from-the-hip approach to scientific understanding has always been mildly annoying, Icon, but I think you now officially crossed over to disturbing. Next you'll tell us with certainty that liberal farts cause global warming.

Quoted for Hilarity

Wikipedia's general compliation of sources on the whole EMF-Colony Collapse Disorder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collap...netic_radiation

And why is it that both of you seem to be the only ones that get lollers by seeking to win arguments? Think about it - thats what this forum is for, I could have researched why honey doesn't spoil myself, but thanks for filling in. As for you, your approach to science has also been more than mildly annoying, but damn, I don't say anything. As for DDT...generally major environmentalists will connect DDT with anything and everything wrong with the enviroment...and as for liberal farts causing global warming...literally, no, metaphorically (meaning high profile politicos and people) perhaps :P.

Well, whatever the cause, it's bound to be American :P

It are your bees afterall :P

We're too busy killing babies and kicking puppies to care about bees.

I love bees! :(...they're kinda cute.

And no Phoib, colony collapse is also occurring in Europe too...:P

I still don't understand how simple radio waves could harm bees. And it's not like mobile phone networks are new, shouldn't the bees have to have been affected immediately, not with a 5-10 year delay? I know radio waves can have an effect on humans when exposed to it long term, but as said before bees don't live long. It's a theory which doesn't make any sense.

Wrong type of cell tower interference. The one being argued as a cause is the ultrasonic sound generated by the high frequency electronics. That would help explain why a massive die off is only being seen now due to the proliferation of cell towers anywhere there's free land. However it still allows my skepticisim because even if it is the cause, we should've been seeing smaller scale die-offs near cell towers in the past.

Well, whatever the cause, it's bound to be American :P

It are your bees afterall :P

We're too busy killing babies and kicking puppies to care about bees.

:huh: Why do you first say a bad thing, and then a good thing? I mean... kicking puppies is good, right?

Also, liberal farts to add to global warming, but so are republican farts, both contain methane... a good solution would be to simply put corks in all available orifices of politicians. Every bit helps!

Also, you can shoot Titanic sized holes in the celltower theory... but unless we have something better, we can at least investigate it?