DerelictStudios Forums

What if the front you're defending is a coastline? If you're planning to settle in for a few centuries anyhow, your efforts are better allocated to new technologies rather than wasting them on some giant monster of what would relatively quickly become obsolete.

I just figured that if you're gonna build something big or important you'd probably wouldn't build it in territory that might change owners during construction.. dunno if they were gonna do that or not.. *shrugs*

Edited by JokersAce

Well, I reckon it wouldn't have gotten to the front for a very long time.. :P

lol, bitch, it's so big, it IS the front. All the inf and tanks fought on top of it. Couple of airstrips for each side, so maybe a bunch of planes fling around it. :lol:

The moderator of that forum, Sebastian Nast, is one of the most amazing "paper project" scale modelers in Europe. he's not afraid to venture onto the slippery slope of the "what if" vehicles, but he does it good understanding on how tanks are supposed to be build, which makes them very believable.

his website :

http://www.nast-sonderfahrzeuge.de/frameset.htm

On the P1000:

I think the should be a lot more light AA on this type of vehicle , instead of the twin barreled 88's. A vehicle like this would not have to fear high altitude bombers, but surface attack planes.

A large number of "vierlinge" would make life hard on any Typhoon or P-47 trying to place its bombs were it hurts...

Perhaps the thinking was that the light AA could easily be dispersed around it on mobile platforms like the Pz4.

The heavy 88s would be harder to use from a mobile platform so they would need to mount them on the reasonably stable base of the P1000 superstructure itself. The second reason to mount heavy flak cannons would be because they double up as AT weapons, giving it a formidable point defense weapon.

I just thought of something, is there a way you make a tank be disabled in diffrent ways rather than completly shuting off? Like maybe some times the tank can't move for a few seconds cause the tracks or engine got damaged, maybe sometimes it can't shoot or turn it's turret? I think that would be interesting if it were added for whenever the tank recives damage. It could really help on balancing the game as well. Maybe you could add a fuction for inf to use a sticky bomb that disables the tank from moving but it can still shoot, like the battle bus when it's destoryed. Then you can have enginers repair the tank maybe? Maybe even some time have the crew abandon the tank leaving a netural hull there that can be captured by an officer or engineer. Kinda like in vanilla when jarmeen kell kills the crew, cept the crew gets out some times maybe running around on fire.

Not all of them, like 30% or something. And 30% of those are permanetly disabled/abandoned untill repaired by engi/captured by soilders.

I unno I'm just shooting some ideas into the dark maybe. But I think it would be neat to see stuff like that.

Edited by Derelict_forum_noob

i always thought some disabled tanks should still be able to fire its weapons, but not move.

But i guess the men inside the tank could be in shock from the concushion of the granade disableing the tank in the first place and thats why they sit there like tards.

We need better FX, the idea is the tank is surrounded in flame and thick smoke, making movement or weapons aiming impossible.

Molotovs and so on confuse and disorientate the crew. However they dont really cause them actual harm.

I'm sure if the fuel tanks or ammo chache were to catch fire... Thats why I say engies capture the derelict tanks. Also, what if empty trucks provided supplies? it would repair freindly tanks like a propaganda tower. Thatd be cool.

aslo, if the crew is disoriented, can't a guy sneak up and get a hatch open to kill the crew.

Edited by Derelict_forum_noob

Assuming the tank crew was retarded, didn't follow protocol, and forgot to lock the hatches...

Assuming the tank crew was retarded, didn't follow protocol, and forgot to lock the hatches...

I read about one incident very late in the war where a German tank crew (I thought it was a King Tiger, but it might have been a Panther) was alone on a road march at night, trying to get to its unit. The tank crew pulled off to the side of the road in a field to rest for the night. Apparently, the lines being what they were that late in the war, they ended up parking in a field next to an American infantry unit that had selected the same spot to settle down for the night.

I guess the Americans had had a long day as well, since I'd have thought that the tank might've woken a few guys up, but nobody bothered to look in the night. When they woke up the next morning, they noticed a German tank sitting in the morning mist at the opposite end of the field. They thought it odd that they hadn't noticed it the day before, but since they came upon the field at night, they just assumed that they had missed it in the dark.

Imagine their surprise (and that of the Germans) when got up on the tank to find it fully operable and complete with dozing crew!

One of those truth is sometimes stranger than fiction stories.

Logan Hartke

Did you know that Germany manufactured all its diesel syntethically from the late 1943 onwards. They produced it it about 12 plants around Geramany but when allies bombed those plants to hell germanys war machine was quite totally crippled with the last fuel sources destroyed.

lol this again, the ol' "Land cruiser"

IIRC i remember a friend of mine telling me that in the last year or so of the war, when berlin was being blown to hell, some guy under hitler quadrupled Germany's production? Is that true?

lol, General Point;

Production1 - Quadruples output of all factories, occupied buildings and capped oil derricks; All units then surrender after 5 minutes.

The German industry during most of the war only worked an 8-hour workday. It would be possible to triple their production by either extending shifts to 12 hours and make a double shift. And it is true that in 1944 the Germans produced more weapons than at any other point in the war, IIRC.

True, and a more or less cottage system was developed aswell, Speer's factories became more spread out and everything was not assembled in one area anymore, but all over Germany. This mad mass bombing campaigns less effective. The Germans also used more slave labour in 1944 then any other time, as the organization of 'undesirables' became more effective. That, aswell wit hteh expanded work week, and more sheltered production areas, lead to a massive increase. Also, before 1944 the industries were not as efficient or organized. Also, the industry was not geared to total war, and many civilian products were still manufactured till the end of 1942, when it was still thought Germany would win the war in months.

Edited by Feuersturm

The German industry during most of the war only worked an 8-hour workday. It would be possible to triple their production by either extending shifts to 12 hours and make a double shift. And it is true that in 1944 the Germans produced more weapons than at any other point in the war, IIRC.

Do you really want exhausted workers making explosives or building sophisticated engines?

IIRC i remember a friend of mine telling me that in the last year or so of the war, when berlin was being blown to hell, some guy under hitler quadrupled Germany's production? Is that true?

That "some guy" is known by Albert Speer, Hitler's preferred architect.

When in 1942, Fritz Todt ( from the Todt engineering company) died in a plane crash, Hitler assigned A.Speer as "reichsminister of armament and ammunition".

Because of his background as architect, he was used to organize large construction sites and applied this skill onto the German war economy. He started to reorganize the complete German war economy and achieved indeed , as you said, a quadrupled production rate.

Albert Speer is a highly controvert personality as on one side he was the only "reasonable man" within the Nazi top.

On the other hand, in the early days of the Third Reich and during the architectural frenzy of the Berlin, it was his idea to re-house the German population into the houses of Jews and to deport the Jews out of Berlin. His listing was then later on used by the SS for the "endlösung".

Speer has always kept up the image of "correct nazi", but after his death, people like M.Schmidt, uncovered several documents, illustrating he was well aware of the cruelties of the nazi regime and even participated. (concentration camps, extension plans of Auschwitz, Berlin listing of Jews, etc)

He always kept his friendship with Hitler, illustrated by the portrait of Hitler found in his bedroom after he died, and the Hitler's birthday anagram used for his car plate...

Today, we know he had a much larger impact on the nazi regime then what was generally believed at the Nuremberg trial, so, as the only "civilian" among the Nazi party, he got away with 20 years in the Spandau prison and was freed in 1966....

As for the low working hours at the beginning of the war: Hitler never calculated that the war would last that long, as a result neither the war economy, nor the recruiting system was oriented towards a prolongued war.

Generally, one could say that Germany lost the war in 1941-1942 because they were not capable of matching the Allied production rate and even halted several key developments for over a year...