DerelictStudios Forums

That "some guy" is known by Albert Speer, Hitler's preferred architect.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, if it displeases you that much, please, take comfort in this Link. :P

now now, a model of the tank is good but how about one i found on a mini-mod for Forgotten hope mod for bf1942 lol check it out on a Picture that is on my xfire http://www.xfire.com/profile/phantom0031/ that thing can rock lol but it is very very slow crazy idnt it? A tiger is about the size of the tracks width in the game, i wonder if that would be true realistically

A tiger is about the size of the tracks width in the game, i wonder if that would be true realistically

Why not?

Technically, i have no doubt such a mobile gun tower could be made.

IIRC, the height was 11 meters! (35mx14xx11m), so the scale would be about correct...

The problem with scale enlargement is that for each doubling of dimensions, you get an 8 time increase of weight...where as the ground pressure must stay the say.

This sets a limit to how big a vehicle can be, because it is determined by the track-surface limitation. You already see that for the P1000 design the tanks largely consists of tracks at the bottom. This is purely to prevent the vehicle from sinking into the ground.

Also to keep in mind is the complexity of the wheel suspension, as - in parallel with the Karl Gerät- this mobile gun platform would need to be able to lower itself so it rests on a flat surface. With this type of guns the ground needs to absorb a large part of the recoil forces or it would simple snap all wheels and suspensions...

I'll repeat once again, the Ratte is often portrayed as a tank, which is a gross error!!!

It was a mobile battery and the tracks were to be used to bring the guns to a firing position without having to lay down new railroad tracks, like it was the case for the Dora gun...

It not a tank at all, you wont see it in the middle of a battle lol yeah its just a slighly more movable artillary unit compared to rail guns, (it can be a very very larger karl morser)for land but, it would be much more pain to make for various reasons, It will destroy any roads it travels on. of course the gas issue, a river can stop its movment it will be over billions to make it would take a decade to finish, and im pretty sure it can be killed by aircraft after a few runs, or you can just blow offa track, its a worthless tank lol , but in the game its riddles with at-guns on the side which makes it tank-proof , in the game it is destroyed by destroying the ammo supply within it and its pretty instantanious

Just imagine the sheer scale of that thing, its track would be almost a meter of solid steel. You'd have to be a pretty darn accurate bamber pilot to hit a bullseye which is proly the only way to bust the track of this monstrosity. It wont be too easy with 2 88:s and a couple vierlinge and other AA firing at you.

The principle issue with this P1000 project is wheter it makes sense to invest so many resources to make it? Is it worth the investment, considering the resource shortages Germany was facing?

I don't think so.

Considering most divebombers can place a bomb within 50m of the target and that the vehicle alone is 34m long, the vehicle wouldn't last long, imho...

Even a 50kg bomb would be enough to wreck the deckplates...

It wont be too easy with 2 88:s and a couple vierlinge and other AA firing at you.

You're apparently not familiar with the Yamato and Musashi. The didn't last too long against a couple of squadrons of attack aircraft and they had the firepower of more than a dozen P-1000/Rattes. This thing would have had the equivalent defensive firepower of a sub chaser, or maybe a lightly armed destroyer. It would not have lasted long at all against aircraft.

It's like a ship, but moves slower.

Logan Hartke

Edited by Logan Hartke

By the time that "Monstrausity" was done, you could have just nuked it ! even if the war was quiet when ever this was planned to be build it would probably stop all other production just to build this one vehicle. You probably will not destroy the vehicle by blowing it up, but simply you can destroy the turret and the piece of junk is now worthless,

It wont be too easy with 2 88:s and a couple vierlinge and other AA firing at you.

You're apparently not familiar with the Yamato and Musashi. The didn't last too long against a couple of squadrons of attack aircraft and they had the firepower of more than a dozen P-1000/Rattes. This thing would have had the equivalent defensive firepower of a sub chaser, or maybe a lightly armed destroyer. It would not have lasted long at all against aircraft.

Im totally aware what happaned to both ships. I just said that it would't be TOO EASY to get a such precise bomb drop with all the German Flak firing at you.

And i bet that the Germas would put their best souldiers to crew the P-1000 which makes it even more difficult to bust the track.

But the cost of building a such thing like the p-1000 would be extremely costly and as the Germany was strugling with its economy they would only build one if they had a really good reason for it. The p-1000 was only a insane (but cool!) idea, and as none was built we have no battle records to reffer to for evidence of its battle efficency.

And refering to the earlier post: the thing has 3 turrets! 2 on the back with 88s and the main one with 2 naval guns.

Just send an infantry rush, get on top or throw some grenades on the engine vents, after all its big size using 6 engines would need vents to release the immense amount of heat(and im pretty sure its engines are not made with meters of steel), probably a satchel charge would instantaniously stop the vehicle making it for another worthless vehicle

We are just about its Blueprints and its idea of construction, of course it wasnt built so we shouldnt be talking about the real version which there is none of?

Well, if its as slow as Logan makes it out to be, P-47s or tank destroyers would have a field day. America's doctrine of fast-moving, light, tank destroyers would not help the P-1000 at all.

Especially considering that IF fuel-deprived Germany had managed to field one of those, it would be a really fat target.

The real propblem is that I've never seen anything substantial on the P-1000.

No real documents, no original sketches or idea drawings. Nada...

I do not even know from what source "they" have obtained that information of.

And that kinda worries me, tbh...

Sigh...

Again I notice that people are pitting the P1000 against tanks, tank destroyers etc... Why doesn't any ever make the comparison with a Karl Gerät?

I'll tell you: just because the vehicle has a turret people seem to insist as viewing or perceiving it as a tank.

The god damn thing is NOT A TANK...it's a mobile artillery gun...

Just send an infantry rush, get on top or throw some grenades on the engine vents, after all its big size using 6 engines would need vents to release the immense amount of heat(and im pretty sure its engines are not made with meters of steel), probably a satchel charge would instantaniously stop the vehicle making it for another worthless vehicle

It's called purging, not releasing the heat. lol

I'll find out these things when I get older :lol: but "releasing the heat" =purging? or is purging the action of releasing the heat which is basically the same.?

Again I notice that people are pitting the P1000 against tanks, tank destroyers etc... Why doesn't any ever make the comparison with a Karl Gerät?

I'll tell you: just because the vehicle has a turret people seem to insist as viewing or perceiving it as a tank.

Sure, the P-1000 is not a tank, but how would YOU get at it if youre on the same piece of land as it is?

Planes are a good choice... for eg. the P-47 or other attackers.

Sure, the P-1000 is not a tank, but how would YOU get at it if youre on the same piece of land as it is?

The same way they got all the Karl Geräte, Dora and other massive guns: abandoned and destroyed by their own troops... ;)

Most of the bulky armement was actually destoyed by their own troops because they didn't have the time to fully retreat them.

Again I notice that people  are pitting the P1000 against tanks, tank destroyers etc... Why doesn't any ever make the comparison with a Karl Gerät?

Bomb the logistical nightmare that provides this monstrosity with it's fuel. Then wait a few hours. After that, you can take a piss at it, and they wouldn't even be able to do anything with their 380mm...