DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PsiSoldier28

Pc Dying?

OK, so I came over to my desk to turn my PC on, right, and it goes though BIOS (that is what it's called yeah?), to the windows loading bar, and just reboots. Now, when it goes through BIOS, all the text is messed up, and blobs of white and black everywhere they shouldn't be (artifacts?), it didn't go to the loading screen, just stayed black. I reboot, go into the settings bit, and one of the settings in there was set to PCI for graphics, so I change it to AGP (AGP card not PCI), and reboot. Now I get a "Insert boot disk"-message or something along those lines, so I just turn it off.

5mins later, I turn it on, get the "error occurred bla bla bla, safe mode, start normally etc.", I hit start normally and it loads fine, I log in, start firefox, and post this...

Now I've told you what happened (as much as i can remember it) I have questions...

Is my PC dying? Could it be my GPU dying? Was it just "one of those things" that happens randomly? Was it the setting I changed that fixed it?

If you have an AGP card and the motherboard was set to PCI it could be that a setting somwhere had been messed up. With PCs I generally assume a one-off fritz up is nothing to worry about. its when it starts doing soething regularly that you really have a problem, although a problem with one component can manifest itself elsewhere. I had faulty RAM and it was registering it as a motherboard error for ages.

What's your specs?

GeForce 6600GT 256mb (AGP x8)

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (socket 478)

1024mb DDR RAM

Mobo is ECS P4M800-M7

Maxtor 6B200P0 ATA harddrive 8mb cache as master, no slaves (OLD!)

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D ATAPI (Master)

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 ATAPI(Slave)

(YES I know it's old... My PC is older than my cat ffs.)

SiSoft Sandra...

17" monitor, and max res is 1600 x 1200, but how do I know the native res? Or is max res the native res? :S

If you have an AGP card and the motherboard was set to PCI it could be that a setting somwhere had been messed up.

Yeah but how did the setting change? Nobody else went on here from when I turned it off to go to bed, to when I came on here to get/play Insurgency!

Edited by PsiSoldier28

Did you have a power outing / power surge recently?

That can cause your bios to reset itself.

The graphic corruption explained itself with the faulty PCI setting in the bios.

The "insert boot disk" was probably also a part of the reset bios having some trouble detecting the disk. (appearantly your reset caused the bios to re-initialize that bit causing it to find the disk on the next try)

Either way, all of the past stuff aside.

If it you don't see these kind of things again it's probably nothing to worry about.

However, you'd be best off making a back up off the stuff on your hard drive in case it does return.

If it does return then it was probably a power surge that may have damaged one of the parts in your computer. (hence the back-up while you can)

Edited by sverkuijlen2000

It might be a good idea to update your bios after backing it up.

So the 2nd time you rebooted it showed the bios fine, right? I wouldn't worry too much, worst case scenario is a new mobo, but ECS isn't that expensive. Your GPU is fine.

If it does come down to having to get a new anything, I'll probably just get a entire new PC anyway, I've been meaning to do it for some while...

If it does come down to having to get a new anything, I'll probably just get a entire new PC anyway, I've been meaning to do it for some while...

get a MAC ;)

duh don't you know they are bringing out 5 games including cnc3 on the new Mac OS :o owowowow

If it happened only once, it's probably not anything serious to worry about (as in, it won't explode or anything).

It is odd, though. If it happens again, then you know something is wrong.

And I think you mean POST. POST (power-on self-test) is when the computer first boots up, it probably shows you a loader screen or some stats about your computer hardware. The BIOS (basic input/output system) commonly refers to the blue settings screen that you access by pressing [del], [F12], [esc] or whatever it is on your motherboard during POST.

Edited by Sc4Freak