DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hawk10314

Some Help From The Pc People...

I made the switch to a mac about a week ago. Im using a macbook pro (Love it). As you may have heard there's something called bootcamp from apple that lets me run a partition of my HD for Windows. As I see Vista is the future of windows anyway I might as well use it instead of trying to ignore it with XP. I was thinking about just getting Vista Home Basic. Just the windows without the bells and whistles that go along with it. For as much as I like to be a PC rebel there are some things that it would be nice to have windows when needed. (I dont think DS will be making any mods for mac users anytime soon :lol: )

PS> (This weekend I'll be out of town so I wont see your replies until noon sunday EST) thanks in advance.

I'm not really a PC nerd, but I've been given the advice to hold off on Vista for a while longer.

It seems it's still leaking so MS needs to do some serious plumbing on the program.

The newer Macs are great, I use a G5 workstation (quad core, 4GB of RAM) at work. Just a heads up, there will be a Mac version of An Act of War...

If you want Vista, I'd take Premium at a minimum. Home Basic will make you cry.

Of course, you'll be happier when Service Pack 1 comes out. But seriously - its much better at first release than all previous Windows have been, so if you're goin for it, go for it.

The newer Macs are great, I use a G5 workstation (quad core, 4GB of RAM) at work. Just a heads up, there will be a Mac version of An Act of War...

Is there going to be ANY version of An Act of War?

Actually, it took me almost two years before I changed my OS from Win 98 to XP because of compatibility issues.

As far as I can tell, Vista Home Premium is the best for the average computer user. Home Basic has pretty much nothing, while Ultimate has too much. Get Home Premium.

Then tell me how it works, because I'm considering upgrading as well!

As far as I can tell, Vista Home Premium is the best for the average computer user. Home Basic has pretty much nothing, while Ultimate has too much. Get Home Premium.

Then tell me how it works, because I'm considering upgrading as well!

Something tells me this person created an account to add their two cents, without being laughed at spontaneously by every sane person on the board.

If you are going to use Windows, do not yet to go Vista. Like me, I am sticking with my WORKING XP version of Windows for as long as I can.

And yes, I have tried Vista so I can speak from experience. Vista is an excellent OS, however, and incomplete one.

Also, why the FUCK did you get a Mac??? (Excuse my french) No further comments at this time.

Something tells me this person created an account to add their two cents, without being laughed at spontaneously by every sane person on the board.

When I said "Vista Home Premium is the best for the average computer user", I meant best version of Vista. There are five versions of Vista: two of them are home, two of them are business, and the last is the "ultimate" be-all and end-all version that encompasses all of them. In my opinion, Home Premium is the best out of these five for average use because you get all the splashy features like Windows Aero without the XBox 360 price tag which pays for a whole bunch of features you'll never need.

Of course I'm in the "stick with XP for now" camp, having just built a new computer using XP Pro (and not Vista, due to the suggestions of my cousins, my friends, and four Fry's employees).

Edited by Windows V

Vista is just not ready yet. Wait for the first SP. Then recheck it. It'll probably actually surpass XP after that SP. Hopefully

Vista is just not ready yet. Wait for the first SP. Then recheck it. It'll probably actually surpass XP after that SP. Hopefully

We can only hope.

Why wait for the service pack? It's just a collection of patches and updates you downloaded over the first few months anyway, so if you buy vista now you get all those updates already. Vista won't surpass anything. Vista is a slow hambeast of an OS.

And fucking stop criticizing people who buy Mac

Why wait for the service pack? It's just a collection of patches and updates you downloaded over the first few months anyway, so if you buy vista now you get all those updates already. Vista won't surpass anything. Vista is a slow hambeast of an OS.

And fucking stop criticizing people who buy Mac

Actually, I am going to have to disagree with you there. Vista was actually pretty fast. I think it was because it used so much RAM but I found it pretty smooth and capable to keep up with my amount of clicking and application stress. ^_^

Sorry, but Macs... never mind.

Macs just can't do the same as PCs, they might be equal in some ways, but they are still inferior in my eyes. Also, Mac users who enjoy using Macs are the biggest fucking tools ever.