DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jonwil

Major Sdk Bug Discovered

If you are running a foriegn language version of windows (e.g. French) or for any other reason have the windows decimal separator set to something other than a fullstop (e.g. a comma) and then try to modify and recompile certain parts of the XML (e.g. certain items in weapon.xml), you may see an error from the compiler that says "System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format" or something similar.

To fix this, you can open control panel. Then select "regional and language options". Then press "Customize". Then change the decimal symbol to a fullstop. Be aware however that this may affect other software on your system that created data using a comma as the decimal separator.

The other option is to wait for a fix from EA (if one ever shows up)

Feel free to post this on other forums (especially foriegn language forums)

Thx for this info, someone at thundermods.net already told me about this bug, when using the w3x tools...

I hope we'll get another version of the SDK, but I don't really think so...

Any chance you implement some fix for this in your own tools? ^^

I have German Windows (decimal separator: comma) and I get no errors while recompiling the Weapon.xml.

Do you have any other example to reproduce this error?

Edited by Bibber

You probably didn't edit whatever bit of the XML causes the relavent code to run. All I know is that the guy I was talking to had this issue and it went away (with his mod compiling and running fine) when he switched to a period as decimal separator.

Sorry, even when I change existing or add new values and things I don't get this error.

If it is a general problem with the decimal separator, I would have had it, too. But it isn't so.

Edited by Bibber

The mod I have from the guy who had the problem had a change in weapon.xml to change the damage for the GDIPredatorTankCannonWarhead from 400.0 to 4000.0 (with that being the only change to weapon.xml)

I can confirm on my system that if I set the decimal separator to , then it fails to build with that error, if I set it to . then it builds.

For all I know it could be an issue with exactly which version of the .NET runtime library I have installed (I have whatever it is that Microsoft wants me to download via Microsoft Update). My point is, that this issue IS reproducible for at least 3 people (someone else reported it on another forum as well as myself and the person who reported it to me) and a fix (that doesn't involve changing your language settings) should be found and worked out. That fix could well simply be a matter of forcing binaryassetbuilder.exe to always use a period as the decimal separator regardless of the windows setting. Or it could be a matter of having people use a certain version of one of the dependencies. I don't know. But this bug DOES exist and something should be done.

The mod I have from the guy who had the problem had a change in weapon.xml to change the damage for the GDIPredatorTankCannonWarhead from 400.0 to 4000.0 (with that being the only change to weapon.xml)

I tried it. No errors at all.

That's a bit confusing about this bug, isn't it!? :unsure:

I've since long stopped using the comma, mainly because of identical problems during rendering with 3dsmax. Rendering on systems that have a different unit setup causes slight but distinct color differences, which in case of an animation cause flickering, ruining the complete animation...