DerelictStudios Forums
Kaiser_Smeghead

My Mammoth Tank Model

With the SDK now released we can finally start putting new models ingame. I am trying to add a model of the old mammoth tank to replace the current one. Here is a render of my model.

mammothrender.jpg

What do you guys think? Is the model detailed enough? Should I try to add more to it?

How many tri's does it have?

Don't forget, you know have to make 4 texture maps in stead of 1. Your old fashioned texture, diffuse, spectral and housecolor...

It's actually your diffuse (which is what you call the texture), specular, normal, and housecolor. You can get away with three though, as Blck said. You can also actually get away with two if you're really clever, but you lose normal and specular mapping.

How many tri's does it have?

The count is 588 verticies.

Im going to start unwrapping the model soon so I can begin texturing. I think I might try to make 2 texture layers, since I haven't really tried to make my own good textures before. If it doesn't come out good, I might try to use some of the existing GDI tank textures from CNC3 and see how it comes out.

588 hey? You could probably get away with adding some more geometric detail, especially on the top of the turret and the tread colors. Would make things a bit easier come skinning time as well!

Holy crap. And here's me thinking I'd never have the pleasure of seeing you again, Henford.

Well I decided to put the mammoth tank on hold for a while until I learn a little more about just getting more basic units into CNC3. Plus, the UV unwrapping was getting a little annoying. So, I decided that I would try to replace the GDI predator tank with a King Tiger tank. Yeah, I know that a King Tiger would not have seen battle for 102 years, but I wanted to make one as kind of a test. Here is a render. The model weighs in at 1739 Verticies.

KTrender.png

I have applied the relevant shaders and am now applying the different textures. I have finished the diffuse texture, but I am not sure how I create the other types of textures that I need. I am using GIMP 2.0 for texturing, but I was wondering if photoshop would be a better texture editing tool?

Why do you have the inner wheels?

Nobody will ever see them, unless you position the camera inside the road and let the KT ride over it.

That way you save tri's, that you can use for spare parts on the hull, or more details at the engine deck.

You have MSN or the like?

I guess I could remove the inner road wheels. Although I just want to get the textures done and get the model in game first, then I will probably start refining and altering the model.

And I do have MSN.

EDIT:

I have almost finished the textures. All I need now is the housecolour layer.

kingtiger.png

How do I create housecolors with photoshop?

Edited by Kaiser_Smeghead

The housecolor texture map is a greyscale copy of the texture, with an alpha channel added. In the alpha channel, everything white will become team colored on the model.

If you don't know where to create the alpha channel in Photoshop, search for a tutorial.

The house color layer is really starting to piss me off. :angry: Everytime I have tried to create one successfully, the entire model becomes textured in the house color. I think this might have something to do with it. Everytime I try to save the image as a .tga file, it gives me these options and telling me to select the alpha channel option, but the damn thing wont even let me do that!

reasonforproblem.png

Phoib:check your PM's.

No need for those wheels in geometry. Apart from the fact that they add tones of vertices, a good normal map would simulate about the same detail, especially with the camera range C&C3 has.

The tank looks a little boxy on the top, you could definatley use the vertices wasted in the treads to add details to the top of the tank, vertices and the such.

The camo on the diffuse texture as well, too cartoonish.

Camo is quite tricky to get looking good. I would reccommend making a regular, detailed texture with panelling, scratches and the like, then laying semi-transparent camo over it, before cracking up the contrast and painting in your heavy detail, insignia, numbers and the such. Just play around with it until you get the effect you are after.