DerelictStudios Forums
Korona

New Soviet Buildings

I finished the core Soviet buildings the other day. Although 2.7 doesn't really hold to the light factory -> heavy factory progression of old, the buildings are basically as follows:

Light factory

sovfact5thumb.jpg sovfact6thumb.jpg

Heavy factory

sovfact1thumb.jpg sovfact2thumb.jpg

Command center

sovfact3thumb.jpg sovfact4thumb.jpg

The heavy factory has already been shown off, but the others take forward that style. I improved the skin of the heavy factory a bit, increasing the resolution of the skin, and neatening up the letters and the windows. They are based on the constructivist style that dominated in Russian buildings of the 1930s. Naturally the other factions will be getting some new buildings of their own in due course. Hopefully this will help to differentiate the sides, and push home their various priorities. The Russians were modernist produce-o-holics, and now this should be reflected in their buildings.

As I said, the description "light" factory is quite a misnomer now. The whole thing is more of an admin building, organising the massive numbers of tanks the russians posses. It also produces some of the largest tanks of the game, at least on the russian side, including the massive T-35 and KV-2 s. These dwarf the T-34s produced in the "heavy" factory. They are even larger than the IS series that would later replace the KVs. The later factory takes over production for the Russians and puts them into "mass production" mode. The T-34 will have a price cut and will be produced very fast. These tanks will actually be amongst the cheapest in the game, reflecting the realities of soviet production. Despite the industrial heartland of the USSR being under German occupation they managed to match the American Sherman production. The cost is further reduced by their use of slave labour, and the fact they didn't need to be shipped across the Atlantic to be able to fight, driving down an already increadably low unit cost. Likewise, the katushas will be massivly reduced in price. These things were atrociously cheap, and made in increadable numbers.

Weilding the russian side will be about mass tactics. Being able to get large amounts of units to operate as cohesivly as a whole. On their own the units will be seriously lackluster - the katusha will have more range but greatly reduced accuracy. They are very much a weapon to use in massed barrages. The T-34 is likewise a liability in small numbers. The poor turret layout is represented by poor visibility, and terrible reload rates. However in massed formations, soviet armour will be able to absorb huge losses while responding with overwhelming force of fire.

The command center looks.. i dunno.. 'unfinished'

I really like the others though. Especially the light factory.

Hmm maybe I should add the little rim things around the top. Those help finish off the roof.

Hmm maybe I should add the little rim things around the top. Those help finish off the roof.

Was exactly what i was thinking.

Like Korona said tanks will have their realistic values about ROF (a Panzer IV ausf D wilth a 4.5 second delay between every shot compare to 10 seconds for a T-34-76 model 1941!) but also longer weapon range (the same values tested in the ww2 Experiment with sir Abba and Dr. Shrinker).

In fact the new chart Logan and i worked on sometimes ago will be used. Add the fact Korona reduced the "shroud clearing range" to the "vision range" value and we now have units who shoots from a longer distance (increase of 50%) but need more scouting than before because the reduction in the shroud clearing range (-25%).

So having more Soviet tanks than your German opponent will be a must if you want to survive in the steppes! ;)

Edited by Neo

Yeah its certainly interesting, although guard area offers a kind of explot. We do have some pretty radical changes comming for tank combat in general though. The ability to disable tanks without killing them will be expanded quite dramatically, and infantry will be adjusted. For example, bazookas will be going higher up the tech tree and AT troops are getting satchel charges instead. The Russians will never get bazookas, the poor sods, although they do have a shaped charge AT grenade that came into service around the middle of the war, so they will be upgrading to use those. The enginiers will also be pretty radcially changed, being able to build fortifications and repair tanks, but the normal bulding tasks being relegated to the dozers.

The way tanks interact will also be changing but that is a secret for now :ph34r:

They look like 60-70’s blocks of flats IMO :blink: Not WW2 ish or even Soviet for that mater, but then I guess that’s just me.

It's funny how history is sometimes different from what we have in mind. I was among those who believed Soviet architecture was ugly, dirty and anything but nice. In fact, many USSR cities had nice buildings with surprinsingly nice urbanism design.

Take a look at the nice city of Stalingrad before Germans destroyed it...It wasn't exactly how i thought a rough industrial city looks like in USSR in 1942..!

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Edited by Neo

Yeh I think that families were out picknicking in the public gardens on the Mamayev Kyurgan on the day the Luftwaffe attacked it.

you have done a great job on them buildings.

strange how the soviets were the most advanced in thier architectural designs,

some of the buildings on the link look like they were just built recently.

Actually, constructivism got it's inspiration from the Italian Futurist architecture (Futurism) and art movement.

Futurism is not a style but an open approach to architecture, so it has been reinterpreted by different generations of architects across several decades, but is usually marked by striking shapes, dynamic lines, strong contrasts and use of advanced materials.

ah...History provides so much, if you care to look for it...

The cost is further reduced by their use of slave labour

do you have a source for that claim ?

i doubt the gulag population took part in war production but i could be wrong.

The status of Soviet workers is hard to qualify accurately. I would suggest they were in a simmilar position to Greek slaves. No real political rights, or ability to earn more than a subsistence wage. They were the slaves of the state, no?

The status of Soviet workers is hard to qualify accurately. I would suggest they were in a simmilar position to Greek slaves. No real political rights, or ability to earn more than a subsistence wage. They were the slaves of the state, no?

not really as they still got paid for their work and had a choice where they worked for what its worth they where no slaves.

There wasn't much chose in peace time. In war you were conscripted to either fight or do war work. Yes most people believed in the cause, but you would be sent to the gulag if you refused. There was no right to choose (other than perhaps between factory A or factory B )

You can pick at the label "slave" but its quicker than writing, "forced labour with subsistence pay".