DerelictStudios Forums
Biohazard

Us Navy Time!

This past Wednesday, the six-month odyssey I embarked upon to become a Navy BDCP Participant and future Pilot or NFO came to a conclusion. After delay upon delay, everything finally fit together. My acceptance letter arrived, and at 10:00 AM in Nashville I was sworn in to the US Navy. It’s official. I won’t be going to OCS until after I finish college in May ’09, but in the meantime, I’m still 100% Grade A Pasteurized Unhomogenized* U. S. Government property. USDOD approved. W00t!

I do hereby solemnly swear...

...To not be a total jackass, so help me God

And that’s it!

* USMEPCOM Form 601-23-4-E “Restrictions on Personal Conduct in the Armed Forces” articles 3-D, 4-A-1, 4-A-2, 4-A-3, 4-A-4, 4-A-5, 4-B and 4-C are all variations on “Listen, don’t be a homo!” Those articles make up 2/3rds of the form. Wow.

I think I just saw the difference between the recruiter (veteran) and you.

Notice the hair on his arm and your absolute lack :P

(BTW, congrats :D. Korona beat me.)

Edited by IconOfEvi

Well done, although I don't really like the idea of join up, then decide what to do. What happens if you can't be a pilot for whatever reason? Then you have to do something else in the navy.

Thanks for the well wishes! I suppose a little clarification of what's going on is in order. The Navy BDCP is a college completion program where, if you're selected (Roughly 200-250 people a year nationwide) and meet the physical fitness qualifications, you're enlisted into the US Navy at paygrade E3. You get housing and food stipends, full medical and dental insurance, a military ID and all the military perks that go with it, like Space Available air travel. You must maintain a good GPA and keep in frequent contact with your local Navy district where you're going to school, as well as continue to maintain physical fitness. You're subject to military law and Navy rules, just as if you were an actual sailor. Once you finish your degree based on a degree completion plan they approved during the selection process, you go to OCS, then from there to whatever slot you've been pro-rec'd for. For me, I'm slated to be an NFO, since my eyesight presently disqualifies me from pilot. With the money I'm earning ($2350/mo) I plan to get PRK eye surgery, which the Navy waives, as well as get a private pilot's license. With those two, I'll request that I be reconsidered for a pilot slot. If that doesn't work out, I can always try to get squeezed into pilot before I go to NFO school, and failing that too, I'll still be content as a backseater. Maybe on an E-2 Hawkeye or FA-18 Growler. Mmmm, happy thoughts....

Once I'm in, I'm obligated to four years of active duty and four years of reserve duty. I plan to make a career of it, fly until I'm too old to, maybe get myself a Captain's position on an aircraft carrier at that point, and, if I'm still feeling good, perhaps move on up to Admiral. I'll use the Navy to get my Master's and Doctorate degrees, and when I'm finally grizzled and tanned to within an inch of my life, retire to work at a military museum. As an exhibit.

One question though:

why would a dragon need a plane to fly? I thought thats why the wings are for, besides the mating.

Edited by MehMan