DerelictStudios Forums

The Allies are taking longer than I expected, mostly because balancing the Russians and Germans is so complicated. Different play styles really don't mesh, so I can see why many RTSs just avoided it.

Anyway things are looking good now. The Allies are much more "complete", although there are still some massive gaps, mostly in the audio department. We are also missing a few skins and a couple of models, but the headway has been good.

One of the things that "is" complete is the Nuke. The way it is purchased has been redone, and it's effect has been redone too.

Rather than purchase the nuke building via the science menu, it is avalible at the third tech level.

The main difference is cost. The building itself is about 65k

You then need to "research" a series of technologies. At the moment the tree looks like this:

Atomic Theory,

Breeder Reactor,

Uranium Enrichment,

Bomb Designs,

Super Long Range Bomber,

Trinity Test,

Each one costs 65k and will take around 5 minutes to complete.

So almost half a mil in the hole you can start purchasing nukes. This is the second major change. Once the Manhatten Project is complete, you can construct as many bombs as you like. However each one costs (yeah you guessed it) 65k.

Given it is so expensive, and costs so much, it will be something for multiplayer only... or as Smurf suggests, games against your whiny kid brother!

The main problem with the old nuke was that, despite having really neat code, it wasn't very visually impressive... So this time I added some cool blast waves that radiate out from the blast point. As you can see from this chart, a nuke's damage radius extends far beyond the fireball so this blast wave, representing the excessive winds a nuke generates, is what does the primary damage.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Nuke.html (fatboy was 27 kilotons, or 0.027 megatons)

To show off this new weapon, here are a pair of videos:

Oh what a sunny afternoon! 2 thumbs up err von Braun! ;)

hehe yeah its even more deadly to inf, but fortunatly the allied barracks is also a bunker, so they need to fall back to their local fallout shelters :lol:

You guys make it any bigger then before?

And is the kill radius bigger for infantry? Like infantry die much further away from the kill radius?

Thats really cool,

hopefully my shitty graphics card which didn't like it when i launched an old nuke, will be able to cope!

One question though....

Why is this not gonna be usable inn skirmish/missions, why only multi player?

You guys make it any bigger then before?

And is the kill radius bigger for infantry? Like infantry die much further away from the kill radius?

Only the FX have changed, the kill radius is the same.

Infantry get burned by the heath weapon, rather then the shockwave weapon. The heathweapon is applied instantly, while the shockwave grows from the epicentre, like on the videos. IIRC, the blastwave radius is a bit bigger then the heath radius, but not that much, I would have to check.

Skirmish doesn't work right now, due to the massive changes in the sciences. From here on, it's easier to code it though :)

The nuke will not be available in missions, because all the missions take place before the first Trinity test.

In missions the nuke is most likely unsuitable, since the war in Europe was over before the manhatten project bore fruit. The Japaneese are not going to be added because they suck on land and SAGE is not a good engine for naval combat.

The skirmish, if it works, will have the same tech tree as multiplayer. The point about needing an ally is a suggestion rather than a rule. If you think you can beat an AI player after handicapping yourself half a million in cash, then you are welcome to try. I think it would be a tough battle but its should be possible.

Income rates have been increased a lot. The command bunker for example generates about 6400 per minute, combine that with the income from houses and unit bounties and its a very realistic figure for a larger game, if you have much cash for essentials like tanks is another question...

Sounds like a good deal(the nuke graphics,oh how sweet my card has something to eat thought not that much) i only need 2 nukes and the opposition will turn to ashes within a couple of seconds(or the nuke won't do an instant base kill?)thought where the heck will i get 520k :unsure:

Income rates have been increased a lot. The command bunker for example generates about 6400 per minute...

EDIT:Mmm...Now my only problem is my micro.

Edited by SovietSteel

Much of the micro is gone now that you don't need to garrison each inidividual house. The units will behave reasonably most of the time although crappy ZH pathfinding and so on are perrenial problems that can't really be fixed.

The main units that need micro are artillery units (including the V1) and to a lesser extent ground attack aircraft, since these are more like mini-superweapons now.

Much of the micro is gone now that you don't need to garrison each inidividual house. The units will behave reasonably most of the time although crappy ZH pathfinding and so on are perrenial problems that can't really be fixed.

The main units that need micro are artillery units (including the V1) and to a lesser extent ground attack aircraft, since these are more like mini-superweapons now.

Fine less micro so holding the first 2 towns should be easy but am taking about how will my micro skills match up with the regulars(or even the elites,lol i can only imagine) and i haven't played blitz or zh for months now plus not a single online experience :P

crappy ZH pathfinding

I'll need my superior officer's advice even thought his going to say screw EA and go F.A.L.D.S. so i'll be leaving now,good luck on the russian and german teams i'll see you guys again once i get my internet connection fixed(not this decommision gaming machine).

And before i forget delayed happy new year to you guys :lol:

1 per CC seems reasonable...

Then again using ground troops would be cheaper. Enemy resistance would be... minimal... after one of these goes off :lol:

Yeah, much of the beta testing so far has shown that huge "roled" armies are favorable. It's made a shfft away from micro and more towards macro gameplay.

I say role because you'll want a nice collection of unit types to get the job done. Every unit has a specific role now, their own strengths, weaknesses and abilities. As well as each faction having overall abilities.

From what I see so far, Germany = Rushers early game advantage, Russia = poor start (very poor start) but ok mid game and very nice late, and from what I hear so far, allies will be turtler superweapon users.

I'll try not to spoil anymore of the surprise for those of you without the beta. ;)

Edited by Derelict_forum_noob