DerelictStudios Forums
IconOfEvi

Ea To Make Totally Free, Ad Backed Battlefield Game

Well well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7199881.stm

_44369739_battle203300.jpg

Note how they also talk about a more cartoony look.

Alls I can say is that if they can pull this nice, lower end, and free version of Team Fortress 2 Battlefield through, then...good neh? I dunno.

Edited by IconOfEvi

No no, according to them, the ads are not in the game but in the frontend you use before you launch the game. As for ads, Phoib, they say their pilot project of Fifa in South Korea has been a complete success so...I dunno.

What bothers me is the complete copying of TF2. It seems when EA sees a trend that is working, they copy it (Rockband, I'm looking at you).

Rockband was made by the developers of Guitar Hero after they left Red Octane/Activision. They were continuing with they made to begin with, and making it better, Guitar Hero 3 sucked anyways, and Rock Band was amazing.

Edited by Opals25

What bothers me is the complete copying of TF2. It seems when EA sees a trend that is working, they copy it (Rockband, I'm looking at you).

If by copy you mean publish a game for the developers of Guitar Hero 1 and 2 (Harmonix), then yes, EA copies working trends. Plus Rock Band is hardly just copying Guitar Hero. You've got fucking drums and a vocal part. It's a whole different game really.

I'd like to take this post to point out that this is EA trying something new... EA... something new. Although one could easily argue its just a TF2 rip-off using the Battlefield name to generate an immediate fan base its still a somewhat risk involved move. I mean, they could just make Battlefield 3... well, they are doing that too. Uhm... maybe it will have really innovative gameplay and great support... for free... it could happen.

Yeh this is a really good way to go. I would rather embedded ads rather than something you have to sit through every time though. I dont want to have my time wasted and people would just hack it anyway. Ads in the enviroment and some kind of shop that lets you buy stuff though the game UI would be ok though.

I never said their copying was bad necessarily. It just bothers me. ;)

Quite frankly, I too am distraught over good things. I mean, why do they let good things happen!?

Edited by Opals25

And you saw one picture. One. And it's "copying TF2"?

Usually I would agree with you on something like that, but, I mean, look at that.

I never said their copying was bad necessarily. It just bothers me. ;)

So, I assume that you got pissed off when Doom was released, because that was copying the trend started by Wolfenstein?

Back in the day when there was really only 1 way to make a first person shooter. Gun in the middle, and 1 type of graphics.

Sounds like it's probably going to be a modified 1942 or somesuch.

And you saw one picture. One. And it's "copying TF2"?

Well...yes. That, and the words that they said reminded me a little too much of what Valve did when explaining TF2's new style. Words.

And as for Wolfenstien...isn't that by id as well :huh:?

Come on now mastermind, don't be dumb, you know I'm talking about niche styles that become popular. Not every game is like Guitar Hero/Rockband, and not every FPS is like TF2 in terms of style.

Touche!

And everybody that says that Westwood offered great mod support should wash their mouths with soap.

For fucks sake, we had to hack the voxel format for ourselves, we never got a bloody exporter! <_>

we had to hack the voxel format for ourselves, we never got a bloody exporter! <_>

:flyby: "in my days..."

;)