DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
weston

The Viper

Ok, so, here is my second attempt at a "true" high poly model, and my first attempt at a car. I chose the viper because, its my dream car and sexy on so many levels, and B because it looks like it would be an interesting shape to model. Which it is. To the max. So curvey, so smooth. Verrrrrrry hard to get correct. Which leads me to a question, is there any way I can remove the 'dimples' from my car? Aside from going and moving every single verticy, like a modifier or something? Smooth, mesh smooth, and Turbo smooth get rid of a few, but most still remain. Any ideas? Oh well, whatever. On to the pics. After 5 or so hours of work, this is all I have to show for it. Lame, I know, but this damn car is tough. I'll post screens as I progress.

Oh, and yeah, I know, the vents are waaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong. I'll fix them eventaully...

Also, I would just like to say that the entire car started as a single 1x1 plane, and I shift-clicked from there. It still remains a single object. That alone I am proud of :P

oh ok ok ok ok one last thing; sorry for shitty renders. I was messing around and was too lazy to take a different set of screens.

Yes, I'm aware you can't actaully see the head lights yet, but they appear in the wireframe. Since the lights are perfectly flush with the body (something I didn't realize until it was too late, hence the really sloppy lights), I figured I would just outline them with an edge, and when I was near done and adding in finishing touches (after the mesh smooth and everything), I was going to chamfer that edge just a tiny bit and extrude it inward just enough to seperate the lights from the body and create a shadow. It worked well on the juggernaut, so lets hope it does the same here.

yeah yeah yeah i know i know. long ways to go. but hey cut me some slack, its my first car and I'm experimenting around with the whole shift-clicking thing.

post-1113-1211424104_thumb.jpg

post-1113-1211424110_thumb.jpg

post-1113-1211424122_thumb.jpg

post-1113-1211424133_thumb.jpg

post-1113-1211424513_thumb.jpg

Edited by weston

Don't give us renders of wireframes. Max wireframes plz.

Probably meshflow gone wrong. I have the same problem on my model, but I'm too lazy to fix it, cuz it'd take tons of work. But I fixed it in other places.

So I'm assuming the only way to fix it is by hand? And heres what I'm talking about for anybody that doesn't know. All those little imperfections.

post-1113-1211509924_thumb.jpg

calm down.

ok here comes tooooooooooooons or pictures. I've noticed many many many errors in making these. I'm still having a hell of a time smoothing it out, but its slowly getting there. Point out every single error you can find. Please and thank you.

INCOMING

TopWire.jpg

TopRender.jpg

SideWire.jpg

SideRender.jpg

FrontWire.jpg

FrontWire2.jpg

FrontRender.jpg

DiagWire.jpg

DiagWire2.jpg

DiagRender.jpg

nah...

first you need to be in editable mesh mode, not editable poly.

once there , go into edge submode, select all edges, scroll down the side panel and turn them "visible"

That's where you'll see all your tri's

Do what flyby said, makes it easier to see whether or not the tris are facing the right way.

Thanks for the effort, but not really what I'm looking for... It helps a little though.

You'd be far better off by making the basic shape using far far less faces and then using meshsmooth to round it all off.

Hmm, I think your best bet is to redo it, but much simpler. You'll save time and frustration trying to fix this one. It seems most of your problems are due to the complexity of the base mesh, as in, you can't see the problem.

If that's not an option, first double check everything where things go screwy that there are no five or more point polygons, those are probably the main cause for the problems. But it's gonna be tricky...