DerelictStudios Forums
IconOfEvi

Call Of Duty 5 Announced

CoD5 announced more or less in miscellaneous places.

I dunno what to make of it really. Pacific campaign with significant chapter focusing on the Soviet invasion of Germany. Interesting and yawn. My interest in games in European campaign has just about died. Our BlitzII at least let you play as the Axis.

Although it's using the CoD4 engine, so that makes it ok :rolleyes:. I really thought they were going to carry on with this modern warfare idea, but apparently not.

Yeah, its gonna suck. I'm holding out hopes for CoD6 by Infinity Ward and being a World in Conflict like Cold War setting. That would rock.

The Cold War has been done to death, I'd rather see it go in the Africa direction like Far Cry 2 is, at least it's something original. If I ever see another game set in the Middle East or Russia I will cry. Something like being a UN soldier in a war torn African nation would be great, assasinations and riot control ftw.

Edited by Goose

I honestly would be interested, up until it said a new developer is making the game ¬¬

The Cold War has been done to death, I'd rather see it go in the Africa direction like Far Cry 2 is, at least it's something original. If I ever see another game set in the Middle East or Russia I will cry. Something like being a UN soldier in a war torn African nation would be great, assasinations and riot control ftw.

Done to death? I don't think I've ever played a real cold war FPS game. If theirs this cornucopia of World in Conflict like First Person Shooter games why fuck have I not heard of them?

Also, Africa sucks for a video game because Africa serves mo real purpose other then be mind utterly depressing. (Maybe with the exception of North Africa a tiny bit)

What do you mean by "serves no real purpose"? There's plenty of political hot topics to base it off, plus there's plenty of exports from Africa to provide the motivation behind the storyline, diamonds for example.

Yeah, its gonna suck. I'm holding out hopes for CoD6 by Infinity Ward and being a World in Conflict like Cold War setting. That would rock.

Whats that? We need another game where Russians are some ignoble bad guy? CoD4 was bad enough with its RUssians AND Arabs in the same game!

Something like being a UN soldier in a war torn African nation would be great, assasinations and riot control ftw.

Mission - rape local women and exploit children for gold digging :ph34r:...

But no srsly, I agree with Goose. We SERIOUSLY need some new blood. Or some new conflict setting. Why not an expanded Iran-Iraq War?

Iraq is still a bit middle-easty for me, I'd prefer something like Korea, that's not been done much. South America could be good, there's plenty of volatile areas down there. I don't understand why game developers never branch out.

What do you mean by "serves no real purpose"? There's plenty of political hot topics to base it off, plus there's plenty of exports from Africa to provide the motivation behind the storyline, diamonds for example.

Sure, there's hot spots, but no real military action. Maybe we can run around and slaughter refugees, that'd be so exciting! What I'm saying is that making a game based on a military action in Africa would just be depressing because fuck, we know in the end that its never going to happen and instead we're going to keep turning a blind eye and letting some mad men decimate anybody who looks at them wrong.

Also, Icon is stupid. I'm more interested in Coldwar era game. Circa the 1980s or so, running around with some M60s and shit where an M1A1 is a real heavy piece of shit. That and seriously, the first mission, holding off Soviet hordes at the Berlin Wall while you wait for some sort of extraction. I'd be awesome.

Edited by Opals25

If you think African war history is all just civil wars and dictators suppressing people, you really need to read African history. God knows how many wars were up during the 70s and 80s.

But honestly something cool like Korea or something Shattered Union would be sweet.

Granted, SU also had diabolical Russians behind it all, but still, the premise is a good one.

Edited by IconOfEvi

Of course its not, but it just plain doesn't have recognizably. The Average consumer doesn't care, and probably only recognizes Darfur in terms of African conflict.

A shattered Union like scenario I can get behind though. That was a nifty little game.

I agree there's not been many cold war fps', but as a subject it's so unoriginal. I'd rather be doing anything else, the world is a huge place but almost every war game is set in WWII or the 80's. You only have to look at a world map to see the possibilites for an original game.

True, but kudos to them for trying. Even a WWI game would be more interesting than another WWII...maybe...

Well honestly Vietnam is an awesome idea, its just idiots here think it was only US vs Vietcong in a guerrilla war, and not other scenarios, like the whole North Vietnam Army thing...or ARVN even! Siege Of Khe Sanh? Xuan Loc? Fall Of Saigon? Fuck yeah I'd play that if it was done right.

Hell, people love reimagining WWII. Why not reimagine Vietnam?

Edited by IconOfEvi

Yeah, its gonna suck. I'm holding out hopes for CoD6

They dropped the 5 off of world at war, its a spin off now.

Doesn't mean anything. The third Battlefield game was Battlefield 2. :P

And GTA IV is the 6th or 7th GTA depending on if you count London.

On a side note, I'm all for the next GTA being set in 1960's London. Mods and Rockers, Mini's, Vespas, it would be amazing.

Edited by Goose

On a side note, I'm all for the next GTA being set in 1960's London. Mods and Rockers, Mini's, Vespas, it would be amazing.

I too am very much hoping for this.

"They subscribe to the *because I say so* school of naming" :lol: gotta love Zero Punctuation.

"They subscribe to the *because I say so* school of naming" :lol: gotta love Zero Punctuation.

ZP is the best thing on the internet.

CoD 4 was really good. I don't think that in the light of this game it can be said to have been done to death. It was innovative and cool. The spooky level, the bit at the end of the mid east section and the bit on the bridge. It was really good. Now, Medal of Honour IS something that has been done to death.

This CoD (whether it's "5" or not) should be good if it's anything close to 4...