DerelictStudios Forums
killakanz

Comming Soon...

This new tutorial is a sort of sequel to my original gmax tutorial. That original tutorial was written many years ago and has been through about 5 incarnations. Despite it's popularity and success, I keep thinking I could do a lot better at teaching newbies the software. So many things that the old tutorial never covered, things I never seemed able to put across in the following tutorials. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) I can put that right here.

Gmax is old. It's obsolete now. It was basically 3D Studio Max 4, minus the rendering capabilities. 3ds Max has moved on a lot since then, progressing to Max 9 before changing the version number to what I can only describe as the end year of the UK tax year of release (latest release; 3ds Max 2009, released April 2008).

But what I'm getting at here is that gmax is obsolete. It's rarely used anymore for game content and many methods and tools have evolved, thus I will not be writing this tutorial for gmax, but instead for 3ds Max. (the version I'm using currently is Max 8, which is still a fairly recent version)

This tutorial will teach you the tools, methods and basic skills of using 3ds Max. This will not be aimed toward any particular game setup.

What you are about to learn from this tutorial would cost you a few hundred, or even a few thousand quid, bucks or whatever your currency to learn through college or university. However these tutorials are free. Aint I nice? I can't give you any certificates though. If however you would like to donate your tuition fees to the running of my car, please feel free to do so. :) [paypal link!]

However, I'm covering so much here and it's going to take me so long to write that I'm considering uploading it in lesson sized segments. Watch this space padawans. Homework between lessons may be a possibility... :P

And there was me thinking it was going to be ready soon. I've lost touch with modelling recently and I think there's some things I'm just making hard for myself, hurry up and make this so I can pretend I'm too good to read it and then go through it with a toothpick when no-one is looking.

There is yes. I'll take a look at my 3DSMax when I get home, see if I can sort it out. If not, I might just get 3DS 9.