DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Comrade Raptorkov

Mod Ideas

Just a topic to post and discuss mod ideas, concept, or in some cases, dreams. :P

I've been working on a mod concept of my own, (though, not much lately)

It's posted up on TTN (My Mod Idea), you don't need an account to read it.

Anyways, I still have a lot of work that needs to been done with just the concept. I've got most of it down in my head, just has to be transferred to paper so to speak. Though I don't have a story to explain the universe.

Got any constructive criticism, or insults if you're an asshole, let me know.

Also let's hear some of the ideas you guys got for mods.

it's not the creativity, it's the complexity of modding for c&c3, and the endlessly repeating buildmod process.

But in itself, an idea is useless if there´s either not the skill or the will to create a working mod out of it. Way too many people abandoned their uber awesome pwnage ideas after a short time in the past to stay enthusiastic about this...

As Killa put it right;

The main problem with CNC modding is that it gets increasingly demanding on human resources due to its complexity. You need such a high level of skilled and enternal enthousiast ppl to work with you, that in reality , it turns out impossible to rely on "just for fun" ppl.

Not being able to run a mod test in its textual format is what really breaks it in the end. it is very time consuming to go back and forth this way.

You can NOT build a production line on this if every small test needs to be compiled.

The only ones that managed accross the border line, had additional insentives to keep their motivation up to lvl. But not everyone is able to secure financial insentives ...

That is exactly my point. It's not a problem of creativity. We've got creativity flowing out of every orifice. It's simply the time that C&C3 demands for modding. Generals had a simple charm. Textures were a simple tga. Now you gotta use a DX9 shader with a diffuse, normal and specular or it simply wont export the model. You used to have just the units INI open in wordpad, simple click save and fire up the game to test the changes. Now you have to recompile the entire mod just to test one line change, one value adjustment. The process with C&C3 gets very boring very quickly. It takes the fun out of modding.

And that's why I mod. I do it for fun. That's why I've never worked for MEC2. The moment financial incentives are offered to get you to do this work is the moment you realise that you're only doing it for personal gain. The work becomes a chore and the enjoyment vanishes.

I will only do games development for money if I work in a fancy office with a mega salary, an onsite gym, pool table in the coffee lounge and a cold water dispenser next to my desk (is that really too much to ask?). What I do at home is for my personal enjoyment only.

(PS. Phoib, I might do those things you're always asking for a packet or two of maryland double choc cookies)

I'd do it for a lifetime supply of Weetabix :P.

Also, yeah, hence why I abandoned my forays into CNC3 modding. Apoc loves to point to CNC3 mods and wishes more were forthcoming, but in truth, the reason they're NOT is because the CNC3 structure is so structured against modders (I mean come on, we had to wait for an SDK this time instead of being able to do it out of the box). It may suit whatever interests above who want the code locked up for whatever reason, but as for us, it makes us lessers.

What we actually need to think about is moving to another game/series, assuming Red Alert 3 is just as tough or tougher than CNC3 is to mod, which by the looks of it, it is. <_<

I hear say that Dawn of War has way fewer coding headaches (at least according to Master Thudo). Perhaps the upcoming DoW 2 will be a good engine.

Why not Men of War then. It's got a great engine, and some great modding support by the developers. And there's talk that some people will be modding the beta to get a taste of what it will be like modding the actual game.

I'm looking forward to this one.

I absolutely loved Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2, so this sequel has a lot to live upto in my opinion.

Saying that though, the mod support for S:HOWW2 wasn't that good when I was trying it. There wasn't a lot of modding activity at all when I lost interest in modding it.

But reading the site again it says Men of War's SDK will have 3DS Max plugins. Which is good. S:HOWW2 needed a few 3rd party programs to get the models working.

I got to play the last open multiplayer beta back in December, it was pretty good. I never played S:HOWW2, so I can't tell you it's any better. I know it has a lot of arcade elements. If you want to try it out sign up for the next beta which will be released in a few days here. It's multiplayer only though.