DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
maskawaih

Generals 2?

Heard a rumor from EA forum. Hmmm, if it's true, I hope they concentrate on more real world stuffs rather than futuristic Red Alert 3.

Not if judging by Generals 1 :P. Its if you get Collectors Ed of RA3, you get beta access to an unspecified game i think thats what was said.

Sadly, Generals may be better than the shit that CNC has become.

RA1 was perfect.

RA2 was... ok, if a little over the top on some bits. Didn't live up to it's predecessor. Then YR came along and it just went downhill from there.

When you look at uberrealistic RTSs though, they tend to be boring. With the exception of WiC or CoH, for a while they were utter shit. Build Abrams. Rush. Win. Ra1 had a lot of humor, and a decent story, but gameplay wise man units were just useless, and with the unit limits the Soviets held a prime advantage. Ra2 was more cartoony, but also had a lot more replayability, interesting tactics and more. Sadly, the tank rush never fully died, but it was a move in the right direction. In RA3, it seems like EA is unsure whether gameplay or style was the success behind RA2 (and commercially, it was a raving success for the last 2D RTS), so they went with making both more out-there. The results are a bit too wacky style wise, but what looks like decent playability, and water effects, explosions, Klepacki's music or anything else aside, that's what makes CnC enjoyable, trying new stuff with old options. Softer counters (no 2 dragoons slaughtering 14 marines, etc.) and slightly less sanity make the mechanics a bit less staunchy.

Generals is also great for that, it just had virtually no story and next to nil in terms of earnest style. I don't think it was bad, just a bit rushed and a bit out of date by the time it came on the scene. If given proper time, and if creativity isn't fully dead in EALA, a sequel to it might be decent, but I would focus on the other franchises if I were them.

Well BFME 2 was much better than BFME 1, and they fixed most of the issues with the lackluster original (although the sequal wasn't really that great either :P)

They could do a lot worse than having another crack at Generals 2. I think that it would be better to push the story more though. Some kind of social breakdown and a load of warlords from various world powers fighting it out for domination. There is scope for an awesome plot really.

I doubt they will pull it off but there is potential for sure.

Well tbh, even though I hated the Generals story, it really got interesting around the last two of the six campaigns, GLA and China.

Any other factions you're betting might show up? They might take a stab at Africa again. India possibly. East Asian states also arent going to take A resurgent PRC lying down.

I'm curious how they will mold the units. Will naval units finally be usable?

Did they finally replace that ancient F-117 with a proper F-35?

Aurora... ok, but i'd rather see a B-1B Bomber

Let's wait for now, but i'm interested.

Any other factions you're betting might show up? They might take a stab at Africa again. India possibly. East Asian states also arent going to take A resurgent PRC lying down.
Maybe the European Union and/or Russia possibly?

lol, Europe looks to China for defense now, remember :P? And strangely, that part of the game felt quite...like it could happen.