DerelictStudios Forums
usafirewarrior

Red Alert 3 To Have Spore Drm

Simple answer: Live with it.

Yea I'm not happy with SecurROM either, but the chances are it wont really interfere with you playing the game nearly as much as Steam (I've had so much trouble with Steam (-ing piece of shit) not allowing me to play my games that I sold off HL2 and avoid any steam-based games like a plague).

As EA has officially stated, it authenticates online once on install, after which it wont check each time you want to play. It gives you 5 installs now instead of 3. I doubt you have more than 5 computers, and tell your friends to stop being stingy and buy their own copies. Totally unimpeded use even without the disk.

If you uninstall while connected to the Internet, you get that install back. The chances of losing an install thru a nuked system for example 5 times is very unlikely, and even so EA customer services will re-authenticate if you're unlucky enough to have this happen to you.

I think I can live with that.

The problem is still one of Perception : when you buy goods you buy the product, not the service they represent.

This means you can rely and fall back on the goods your purchased. They were never consumables, yet suddenly, for exact the same price a game turned from a trade object into a service object, where you only buy the ability to play the game as long you keep it under 5 installs...Basically, this means that after 3-5 years you'll be unable to play that game. Yet, tbh, i still play games , like CIV III, that are 7-8 years old and that i installed-deinstalled more then 5 times.

I do not like this tendency to go for pay to play and have allready changed my attitude towards certain games. I bought Guildwars and not WoW for my kids, exactly because i want to keep the right to play that game, even in 5 years time...

I think I'll simply pass for RA3 at the moment, till it hits the "sales" bins in the stores... At least for 5€ i wont fell cheated...

I think you missed a key line from EA's statement, Flyby.

If you uninstall while connected to the Internet, you get that install back.

Pft, this is why I love hacker groups. I always hack my games to remove the DRM... The cool publishers remove it for you ofcourse. :wub: GPG et al

The irony is that Spore was leaked before it even went on sale, so DRM once again proves innefective, just a bumming for the legitimate buyers.

Yeah....Im officially boycotting purchasing any game with this kind of protection. Like Flyby, I want to play my games in 5 years time. Hell, I recently installed Quake II to play a round on that.

Im glad Paradox isn't planning on doing this shit. Hearts of Iron III is going to own!

Take that EA, take a page from them. Replayability is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing as you seem to think. Its what makes games a classic.

Edited by Feuersturm

Holy crap, Raptor? I remember when that game still cost $30! I still have my copy around somewhere...

I do not like this tendency to go for pay to play and have allready changed my attitude towards certain games. I bought Guildwars and not WoW for my kids, exactly because i want to keep the right to play that game, even in 5 years time..

Playing offline is possible without going through the DRM thing.

I do not like this tendency to go for pay to play and have allready changed my attitude towards certain games. I bought Guildwars and not WoW for my kids, exactly because i want to keep the right to play that game, even in 5 years time..

Playing offline is possible without going through the DRM thing.

Your point? What good is a game where half the fun is multiplayer combat when playing online involves making the game all but a $50 rental?

I bought Guildwars and not WoW for my kids

You have kids :o?!

Blitz isn't dead, but you are really hard pressed to find a random 1VS1 on ZH Online.

Trues. RA2 was going strong until the servers got thrown overboard. Its kinda recovered now since XWIS has them, but still...not what it used to be.