DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Richard Karl Gregg

Anti-virus Sfotware, Whats A Good One?

Looking to buy some anti-virus software, not really sure which one to go with, I used to use Panda, but the lastest version seems sluggish...

I'm looking for one doesn't rape my system resources and I hardly notice it working :)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

You can check out Nod32. I've heard kaspersky is okay too. But nod32 is really hard to notice.

Edited by MehMan

Hmmm AVG is very unnoticeable :). Of course, you have to set it to not scan daily during setup, but even then, it does it in the background.

On top, its a free version.

Whatever you do, avoid Norton and McAfee like the plague.

I personally like McAfee. It runs in the background and I hardley notice it. It has an active scanner that detects bad files when they get on your computer before they have a chance to do anything. It will run a full system scan when you are using minimal system resources, and pause itself when you begin to use more of your system (such as running a game or something), then resume itself when you stop. It works around me, which is nice, and has not casued me any hassel. I've ben using it...forever pretty much. I've tried two others, and McAfee definatly tops them. If your going to get it, get the internet suite. Cost for a year for a 3 computer licence was something like 80 bucks after a mail in rebate (I gave my keys to my family). I would imgaine a single user would be cheaper.

Edited by Feuersturm

Hmmm AVG is very unnoticeable :). Of course, you have to set it to not scan daily during setup, but even then, it does it in the background.

On top, its a free version.

Whatever you do, avoid Norton and McAfee like the plague.

you should avoid AVG too. from my experience and other articles i read, AVG is capable of detecting any viruses there but usually failed to remove the viruses properly. then again, it's up to you. if you're a know-how technical person especially when the AVG detecting a virus, it's ok. though sometimes removing a virus or even a spyware can be hard. however on vista, spyware usually can be detected easily. i love vista's security despite annoying pop-ups. at least my pc is secure.

Alright, despite me praising nod32 I've come to notice that when I disable it things run more smoothly. Also, it lags down my current bootup, I have to wait somewhere between 3-5 minutes after booting up for nod to start up and then I can start doing shit. Before that nod just locks up everything. It's quite annoying when your computer can boot up in 20 seconds but an application is going no no no, we're not going to do anything in a hurry, that all important email will have to be checked later.

Does anybody use kaskpersky?

I did, until it said "pay us to keep using this". Pity really, it was really good upto then

Hmm, nod32 and wireless do not walk hand in hand for some reason. I'm going to see how it goes if I turn off half the scan options. Maybe it'll stop being a hog then.

EDIT:

No wait, seems that it is my wireless connection to blame afterall. I had to set my ips and dns settings and now it's working flawlessly. So I'm guessing it's the dhcp server that needs to be smacked about.

Edited by Mehman