DerelictStudios Forums
Windows V

Red Alert 3

So I picked it up today and wow, this game is awesome. The gameplay really hasn't changed that much from past C&C titles, so the beta didn't have me really impressed, but the game as a whole is very well done. Cutscenes are quite entertaining, cinematics look very nice - production values are high. Soundtrack's not too bad, especially the menu theme, "Soviet March", which has me hooked. Again, gameplay itself isn't revolutionary, but it's still quite fun, with enough innovations to make it feel fresh. Graphics are well detailed, although a new engine would be nice.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few release problems - I haven't been able to play online, but according to EA these problems will be resolved by tomorrow. There's also already a patch available on the first day, too.

So yeah, go get this game now! It's not a StarCraft 2 killer, but it doesn't have to be - it's a great game in its own right and dareisay the best C&C yet?

When I finally do get online, I'll be playing under "WindowsV", so look me up.

Edited by Windows V

Got my Premier Edition (NOW this is what a collector's is supposed to look like!), FINALLY get to play after hours of being away at class/etc.

Installation nearly done, gonna probably go thru campaign. Eventually, I'd like to play coop with one of ya'll.

On a side note, the music is MUCH better than CNC3...but still, early judgement, from the soundtrack CD. Still, NICE.

I ordered my Premier Edition on Gamestops online site so i could get the free bonus and the map with the Gamestop ingame that i can blow up :lol:

Edited by usafirewarrior

OH MY GOD, IT SAYS MY SERIAL NUMBER IS INVALID >_<

Also, has the game been quitting randomly on anyone? I can't do Sov Mission 2, or Japan Mission 1, about to try Allies 2.

Like seriously, wtf. Whatever goodness I had so far is seriously being tested.

EDIT - I'm not the only one

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?t...04&tstart=0

Edited by IconOfEvi

Welcome to the wonderful world of secuRom. Please stand by, EA personnel will be along shortly to administer your daily sodomization with a rusty pipe.

Edited by Torlek

I don't get it though, it was working when I played the beta, just fine. Yet now, the graphics eventually overload. Allies 2 crashed partway into the mission.

The only thing I can think of is that bigger maps are not liked at all. Meh, whatever.

Still, RA3 did impress me more than CNC3 did - if only it was a serious kind of game like RA1 was, then the game would be epic and ballin.

Also, lets hear it for cross-company promotion while simultaneously shipping out crap!

Edited by IconOfEvi

Fuck, I forgot this was coming out. I spent my gaming budget on Fallout 3 (which is also great, btw)

Edited by Monkey

My RA3 is in the mail. I could wait a few days, as I'm playing Far Cry 2 at the moment. I just got the regular. The collector's edition looked neat, but had nothing I couldn't live without. I wasn't willing to pay $25 more for it.

Logan Hartke

I ordered mine through the local bookstore but it will probably be about a week before I get it...can't wait. I haven't been this excited about a game in a while.

Okay so I finally got it to work by turning the resolution down to lowest (yuck).

And, sigh...lets just say, so far, the rationale the game employs is beyond goofy. It's just wtf.

For example, in the Rising Sun campaign, you defend Pearl Harbor FROM AN ALLIED INVASION/ASSAULT. See, that kind of thinking would be cool, but I really CANNOT see how Einstein getting erased from the timeline makes it so that Japan owns Pearl Harbor, much less a huge empire. In fact, the whole rationale of the game is STUPID. Like seriously, how does getting rid of Einstein make atomic bombs disappear? The main theorist/scientist for the Manhattan Project was Oppenheimer.

Also, when you see the Shogun bot, you WILL shit brix. Your eyes will pop out, saying, WHAT THE FUCK.

Honestly, I am perfectly pissed at RA3 atm.

I hope you wouldn't. That spot is reserved for RA1.

In terms of story, maybe, sure. But really, nostalgia aside, RA1 gameplay wasn't much more than a rehash of C&C.

Although perhaps I spoke too soon. Today I've been getting a lot of annoying problems, like 10 second transitions between menus that wasn't happening yesterday. Wtf?

sigh.....this is such a hectic season when it comes to video games. Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, Quantum of Solace, Call of Duty: World at War, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space...what to buy?

Who said I was okay with the armored bears <_<? Basically, I only got the game because it says "Command & Conquer" and "Red Alert" on it.

And Blck, where the fuck do you keep coming from. Also, RA1 made hella more sense than 2, and 2 made hella more than 3, which is saying something. And RA1 wasn't completely, just, gay.

already received the package a couple of days ago (as usual asians got EA games first). but i was away from home. now back at home and installing it.

Okay so I finally got it to work by turning the resolution down to lowest (yuck).

And, sigh...lets just say, so far, the rationale the game employs is beyond goofy. It's just wtf.

For example, in the Rising Sun campaign, you defend Pearl Harbor FROM AN ALLIED INVASION/ASSAULT. See, that kind of thinking would be cool, but I really CANNOT see how Einstein getting erased from the timeline makes it so that Japan owns Pearl Harbor, much less a huge empire. In fact, the whole rationale of the game is STUPID. Like seriously, how does getting rid of Einstein make atomic bombs disappear? The main theorist/scientist for the Manhattan Project was Oppenheimer.

Also, when you see the Shogun bot, you WILL shit brix. Your eyes will pop out, saying, WHAT THE FUCK.

Honestly, I am perfectly pissed at RA3 atm.

Send me your copy then, if it's such a travesty of a game.

Judging by the fact I got the Collector's Ed, I think not :)

As for the music...some of it, its neat, very cool. And most of it? Regular EA ambient crap that makes you wonder if that shit coming out the drivers is music.

But thats neither here nor there....I dunno, perhaps its the music, but I have this odd urge to play Total Annihilation again.

In the meantime...:

EDIT - oh and once again I can't sign up for the mysterious beta program because the page isn't up yet (no, no details on what it is, just says register for it). Sigh.

Edited by IconOfEvi

I'm back to put in mah two cents! yay.

I agree with Icon. Game rationality just is not there. Other than that, it doesn't really feel like a CnC Game. CnC3 pulled off the feel, and KW did so even more, but I don't feel like I'm playing a command and conquer game when I play Ra3. There is too much in the game that is not explained why it is the way it is.

AND WHY DO ALL THE BOATS WALK?!?!?!??!??!!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?