DerelictStudios Forums
Windows V

Red Alert 3

The key to enjoying this game would be to not take it seriously. So Red Alert 1 was serious. So what? That's not at all how Red Alert 3 has attempted to portray itself and if you come into it expecting it to be this epically gritty wargame it's not going to live up to your expectations.

And yeah, starcraft 2 is going to be awesome but seeing how this is a topic about Red Alert 3 and SC2 probably isn't going to come out until my grandchildren are having grandchildren I don't see the relevance atm.

I do agree that the music in game is crap I rather listen to RA2 music. I feel like I am falling asleep in game. Just let us pick what songs we want to listen to

One of my favorite music tracks of all time isn't Hell March (gasp!), but actually the menu/intro music of RA1. It sets the tone of the game so perfectly.

So what? That's not at all how Red Alert 3 has attempted to portray itself and if you come into it expecting it to be this epically gritty wargame it's not going to live up to your expectations.

So I can't give my opinion (again one man's opinion)? I can't say that RA2 went off the tracks and RA3 has the train going off a mountain towards the ocean?

Everytime they say Red Alert is the fuzzy, fun, campy universe, I want to choke something. It's like how the code phrase for CNC3 was 'fast and fluid'.

What I don't get is if they wanted to pull all this stupid crap, why couldn't they make their own franchise.

Edited by IconOfEvi

By putting the story and music aside, graphically speaking the RNA engine is a major improvement compared to C&C3/KW's SAGE III engine. Even though I am using 4850GS but since my proc is AM 64 5200+, I can only go to High settings in C&C3 and KW. Otherwise, it will be having sudden laggy as my graphic card is can handle the game while my cpu couldn't. Yet, on RA3 I can go Ultra settings and play smoothly. The gameplay is nice too. I had having nice multiplayer games during beta and now gonna have more fun with the retail.

Thats odd, considering that RA3 crashes unless the resolution is absolute minimum, and even then it hung up on one mission. For me at least.

Well I played now three skirmish games (Soviet vs. Soviet, US vs. US, Nippon vs. Nippon). I don´t know. Somehow this feeling when I play RA2 don´t comes up. It is not bad, but it can´t suck me in as RA2 or TS could.

BTW: Can play it at 1280x1024 on Ultra with my system (C2D @3.6GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 7800GT)

Regards,

ironduke57

Edited by ironduke57

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

ATI Radeon 9800XT

1GB SDRAM (I think)

It works on lowest resolution.

Good lord man, that computer is ancient.

Well, gee, I don't have money like you people. Before I had some spare scholarship money (term before this one) to do interim upgrades, it was.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

ATI Radeon 9000 (yes, 9000 :( )

512 MB SDRAM (2x 256 sticks)

I bought a Samsung 22" Flatscreen with this terms spare cash (along with random stuff). Next term, I'm going to plunk spare scholarship money on this Tablet PC. Also, FINALLY an interview after God knows how long. Yeah, only seasonal but I should be able to finally totally overhaul system.

lol, sorry I worked for my money. i'll remain poor in future.

Edited by MehMan

alright, I have already beaten the soviet campaign and am almost done with the allied one. Plus i have played a few skirmishes. I must say, I am really happy with this game. I especially love the naval combat. Using Shogun battleships to level an allied base is a very good pass time. :) I also like how they have made it so that you need a balanced force to ensure victory.

The only thing I would like would be an allied infantry unit that had an assault rifle and not a shotgun. But I can live with that.

Finally, does anyone know when an SDK will be coming out for RA3? I can't wait to throw all kinds of warships and tanks and aircraft into the game. The Japanese side is especially screaming for a Yamato class battleship. :ph34r:

lol, sorry I worked for my money. i'll remain poor in future.

In case you didn't pick up on what I hinted, I've been jobless for years now, and have been trying for months, years, to no avail.

but actually the menu/intro music of RA1. It sets the tone of the game so perfectly.

You mean Radio?

Everytime they say Red Alert is the fuzzy, fun, campy universe, I want to choke something. It's like how the code phrase for CNC3 was 'fast and fluid'.

Here's how it works. After C&C, the RTS market slowly started to take off, and around the late nineties several gritty RTS titles were either out or in the works, and if you talked to a fan of C&C or RA1 and asked them what they liked, it wouldn't be the realism, but rather the Tesla stuff, the cyborgs or the giant friggin' ants. It was the only way the game series would stand out in the market was to exploit the wackiness. The disconnect is you stopped thinking about it as a war with wacky bits in RA1 to just being wacky in RA2/YR. Who cares that Chicago was nuked?

It's an issue of cohesion of all the things going on, not a fundamental shift in game dynamics.

If you want a cold war simulator, get WiC.

Finally, does anyone know when an SDK will be coming out for RA3? I can't wait to throw all kinds of warships and tanks and aircraft into the game. The Japanese side is especially screaming for a Yamato class battleship. :ph34r:

After the release of the World Builder.

Can I talk to you about that Yamato? :ph34r:

I feel that music of RA3 is more onto orchestra like songs. Certain songs, that is. Despite some might not like it due to ultra conservatism with Westwood or might be other things, the songs feel lively and more on to suspense styles. No more techno-ish songs. It is still techno but better composition and more music equipments. Yeah, I can tell Icon might disagree or feel whatever with me on this but I don't really like Klepacki works with UaW. Seems he had less equipments although quite good composition.

You mean Radio?

Pretty sure it was "Crush".

No, I mean the song when you're in the menu or load up a game.

I know which one you mean, this one right? link