DerelictStudios Forums
Windows V

Red Alert 3

Warned. :domo:

That was probably the funniest thing Andre has ever done... Wear that warn with pride man!

That being said, the intro music did change from expansion pack to expansion pack and Retaliation (CS and AM combined) featured Radio 2 Remix for both the intro and the menus.

So does anyone else really hate those special call in abilities like I do. I don't know how many times now that I have had my entire fucking army wiped out in my base by some desolator strike or magnetic satellite. Seriously, they should really nerf those call in strikes or at least make it so the AI needs to actually see where they are calling them.

Also, does the AI cheat in this game? I swear the bots always have the upper hand over me.

The AI always retreating when they think they won't win the fight. But they will surely send in units to take out your defenses even with a conscript. While they are smart in using call in abilities and also units' second abilities but their spies/engineers are still stupid. They always rushing forward to the designated location rather than run away when there's dogs/bears.

Btw, Nick Laviers - The Music of Red Alert 3.

Edited by maskawaih

Yes, Laviers, leader of EAAmbient Crap. Very few tracks are actually good on the RA3 set list.

No, my main problem with Red Alert 3...is it makes NO sense. They did NOT do their homework. I mean I like those references to past games (Von Esling naval base), but...jeeez. THe whole game doesn't make sense at times.

During the final Soviet mission, your final objective is to blow up the Statue Of Liberty. Since its intact, this presumes its a different timeline.

SO THEN WHY DOES TANYA SAY "Just like old times Commie scum"? Moreover, I don't understand how destroying the statue makes it so the whole United States topples to the USSR while in RA2, it was a taunt of sorts, first mission thing.

Also, generally, why does Einstein disappearing mean nukes don't exist? Einstein did little if any work on the Manhattan Project, especially compared to Oppenheimer. Also, there we're nuclear projects in every major player too.

(On a note about nukes, judging by the briefings for the Nikonos Islands mission, where you capture the research facility, it shows nuclear fission in the background. Thus, I suppose the Allies we're working on nukes, but Soviets capp'd it and made a Vaccum Bomb out of it...okay :blink:?

One last note about timelines...if Einstein is erased...so what happened to the Chronosphere project? Firstly, why does it exist?

And second...presuming Einstein was erased...that means...WHAT HAPPENS TO HITLER? Einstein is erased before Hitler's Putsch, meaning he can't go back in time later, meaning....GAH. My head hurts already.

EDIT - I thankfully got to vent my frustration by blowing up the EALA building in the Japanese campaign :).

Edited by IconOfEvi

This is Radio,

This is crush,

Original RA1 had neither of them for menu IIRC, but retaliation had the hell march remix.

Ahhh, this sweet ear sex takes me back, I feel a sudden urge to play RA1. *looks for disks*

Edited by Comrade Raptorkov

Regarding Einstein I think they would point to how E=MC^2 was the theoretical base for understanding what was going on with nuclear fission. It's speculation whether they could have identified that there was a huge energy release coming from the atoms due to the mass loss rather than some other process. Unless that leap is made then the concept of a nuclear chain reaction is almost impossible to conceive.

Anyone else feel like this game was rushed out? I destroyed the Empire of the Rising Sun in two missions, the Soviet traitors in two, and the Allies in two. It all seemed to be really rushed, with no development.

Its all so frustrating!

I do agree that the game engine is nice. Plays well, but all of the weapons seem a bit too unbalanced. There is rarely time to do anything about anything. In CnC games past, the super weapons weren't base killers. Now, if I set off a vac bomb, and walk up and poke your con yard it dies.

Overall, there is just something missing.

Maybe its build-able Tesla tanks...

I liked my lightning on wheels...

I'm with you on that Icon, music in the early CnC games really helps to make them classics for me. Aesthetically both CnC and RA 1 were both much more rounded and self-consistent than the later games. I love the vibe of CnC 1. It's really raw, like hearing an early EP from a band before they had a slick producer and stuff. Pearl Jam's Ten is actually a good paradigm case for that.

No Raptorkov, Creeping Upon is a different song, from Counterstrike or Aftermath I think. Its a good song too, another of Frank's good ones doomed to forever be in the shadow of Hell March.

The song I posted was from the menu of RA1, and its like one of the few in the .mix files on the Hard Drive besides the credits theme. All's I remember from extracting it is that it was called intro.wav. Like Korona said, they we're really rounded - its a false assumption that pretty much everything in the CNC and RA tracks was hard rock and psuedo-pop/hip hop (Radio 1 and 2) - Frank does a really awesome mix of the dark, light, fast and slow. This one remains my favorite because of how raw and beautifully sad it is.

Though I will say I detested RA2 on many fronts, it did sometimes have some neat tracks.

Red Alert 3 is ambient, which I hate. Oh, and Frank only ended up doing three songs (Hell March 3 which was okay imo, Grinder 2 which was awesome, and Nuclear Death, which if I am thinking correctly, was quite awesome too). Go figure most of the rest is the same steaming shit.

I'm just going to list everything I don't like about the game:

• Pixelated shadows

• Lack of game speed control. It just feels way to fucking slow. CNC3 was like this too. I like my games to be fast, which is why I liked RA2. Things were fast

• Lack of much variety in the units. All sides feel almost the same, just with different models.

• Like somebody said before, it just lacks the 'pull' of previous CNC games. RA2 was and still is my favorite. Even Generals/Zero Hour were fucking badass. CNC3 and RA3 are just... blech.

• Walking ships. Fucking cool idea, but again... Allies and Soviets both have it, ruining the uniqueness of such an idea.

• Lack of a 1360 x 768 resolution. I have to adjust my entire fucking TV just to get a clear picture.

• I want my goddamn orefields back.

• Back to the variety thing; rember in RA2 the dfferent types of miners? The Chronominer, Warminer, and the Slave miner? It was different, and unique. It was different sides for different styles. And as of right now, theres not much (if any) of a style change between the three.

/end rant

I bought this game with high expectations, however I'm extremely disappointed. Shoulda bought Dead Space :(

I'm just going to list everything I don't like about the game:

• Pixelated shadows

• Lack of game speed control. It just feels way to fucking slow. CNC3 was like this too. I like my games to be fast, which is why I liked RA2. Things were fast

• Lack of much variety in the units. All sides feel almost the same, just with different models.

• Like somebody said before, it just lacks the 'pull' of previous CNC games. RA2 was and still is my favorite. Even Generals/Zero Hour were fucking badass. CNC3 and RA3 are just... blech.

• Walking ships. Fucking cool idea, but again... Allies and Soviets both have it, ruining the uniqueness of such an idea.

• Lack of a 1360 x 768 resolution. I have to adjust my entire fucking TV just to get a clear picture.

• I want my goddamn orefields back.

• Back to the variety thing; rember in RA2 the dfferent types of miners? The Chronominer, Warminer, and the Slave miner? It was different, and unique. It was different sides for different styles. And as of right now, theres not much (if any) of a style change between the three.

Seconded. All points.

Logan Hartke

How the fucking hell was CNC3 not fast enough for you? When you could be dead in less than 3 to 5 minutes? :huh:

Otherwise, yes that list is gold. I especially hate the lack of Ore Fields. And the shitty thing they call music in that game (also CNC3) ruined it further.

Also, they don't have a proper resolution for my monitor either (Im at 2180 x 768 on desktop - you'd think this'd be common widescreen ratio).

Honestly, the sheer frigging goofiness just, fucking, ruins it for me. I mean yeah yeah serious games need some heartening, but I point to Starcraft for examples of humor and stuff. Despite the sheer ridiculousness of rednecks in space, its still believable. Red Alert 3 is where they crossed into the sheer just fucking moronic. Even RA2, while goofy and stupid as hell, had a modicum of seriousness (which frankly I wish they had used that tune more - the first Yuri's Revenge mission being an excellent example of where no matter what, you had already lost).

BTW, has enyone else seen the Shogun Executioner? Like I said, bricks will be shat when it is seen.

Edited by IconOfEvi

I saw this game in stores. I got Fallout 3 instead.

I'm glad I didn't get RA3. I had a feeling it wouldn't turn out good.

At the Shogun Executioner... o.0

Next time I take a pic of the Shogun Executioner, you will see truly.

And you will be happy with your decision not to purchase.

One of the most disappointing purchases ever...not as bad as CNC3, but worse in a way.

Lack of game speed control. It just feels way to fucking slow.

If you mean frames per second, tone down your graphics. My default setting was ultra high, but I found that when I moved it down to high, everything moved like two times faster. If you mean gameplay speed, you must be friggin nuts. Starcraft is a turn based strategy game compared to RA3.

Back to the variety thing; rember in RA2 the dfferent types of miners? The Chronominer, Warminer, and the Slave miner? It was different, and unique. It was different sides for different styles. And as of right now, theres not much (if any) of a style change between the three.

You must be kidding me. The factions in RA3 are the most diverse in any C&C game ever; I would say it even surpasses Gens in faction diversity.

Lack of much variety in the units. All sides feel almost the same, just with different models.

See above. Even without unit abilities the factions are extremely different, to the point where, unfortunately, it's not quite balanced yet.

Go fire up RA2 and set the gamespeed to 'max' and you will know exactly what i'm talking about. Units build faster, move faster, upgrade faster. Everything is just fast and quick. RA3 feels terribly slow and sluggish in comparison, even to ZH.

On the diversity you're nuts. Think back to the RA2 days again. The one and ONLY similarity between the three factions I can think of is that all three of the factions' main tanks shot shells as opposed to lazers or whatever. Everything else was totally different. The basic foot soldier to the anti-tank to the ships to the three sides different aircraft. Nothing was similar to that of another faction. RA3 feels like all sides have exactly the same units, as if they modifed them slight amounts and slapped a new model on it. It just doesn't seem unique enough.

On more of a side note, I'd like to point out that while RA2 was a fantastic game, I'm by no means expecting RA3 to be a direct copy of it. I was just hoping they would stick to more what made RA2 so great, which involved the wacky, over-the-topness (suck it Icon), and three totally distinct and unique sides. To each his own, I guess.

I bet most people in this thread preferred a new C&C games with same old things. Not like I am whining or ranting or what not, but whenever a brand new game of an old series came out, people will be asking why this old unit didn't make appearance in this new games and many more. I am not actually pointing this at EA games tho. Other games are pretty much like that. If you don't realized, what EALA did might not fancy your oldies taste but more on gathering new and young gamers plus relevancy to today's games. Especially those who haven't or barely played old C&C series. Despite I felt wtf with RA3 storyline, I rather feel that the gameplay is more challenging and far more better. Some of you might dislike EA and prefer the old Westwood. But by looking back at the games, Westwood games has never been that well balanced. It was EA that made C&C games balanced. I know people will quote me for that sentence but your hope of having Mammoth/Apocalypse tank spam are no longer feasible for brand new games.

I liked that the older games weren't balanced, it's not so much that they were way super imbalanced, like if you played as faction x vs faction y, x would win every time. But it felt more like, each faction had a really unique style in which they were good at. If you controlled the faction as it was meant to be played, you would probably win.

One thing I absolutely loved about RA2, was you could capture enemy tech and make total unique units (try sticking some Tesla troopers in a battle fortress and stick it near a Tesla coil :ph34r: ) And those crono commands were just insane kick ass.

But I like the point who ever made about the ore collection in RA2, Each side was totally unique and the only common factor was they collected ore. The allied player could quickly zip his miner out of trouble, the soviet player could send his in with the rest of his forces to help steam roll. And the Yuri player can just pack up and move closer to ore. Though the yuri one seemed unbalanced as it was easy to pick on them (hehe) But that goes back to the totally unique sides. Everyone had specific pros and cons vs other factions, including vs themselves. RA3 feels like you could just do the same thing with each side.

RA2s gameplay was a lot deeper than most people realize.

On a side note, finally able to register the program. No details at all, however, the background image is giving me some ideas.

backdrop-beta.jpg

So far I think Generals 2

So far I think Generals 2

Because it resembles the splash screen of ZH? :P

I totally agree though. But..... what if (shock) it's something different? C&C covers alien invasion sci-fi, Gens is part of the "post 9/11 era" fad, and RA is what if / parody, so what's left? (I suppose you could also count Dune and maybe BfME in the C&C family....)

Btw, looking at the picture, I don't know if it was a conscious decision to leave the southern hemisphere out or not, but so many "global" games seem to centre on mainly US, Europe, and parts of Asia....I hope this doesn't continue the trend.

Edited by Windows V