DerelictStudios Forums
Windows V

Red Alert 3

I can't help noticing the considerably lower exposure Ra3 has in the stores here.

It just sits amoung the "new" games, but the big publicity boards, flags, etc - like with CNC3- are nowhere to be seen...

Ra3 got in the stores using the backdoor instead of the front door...

I wonder why... (well, not really...:P)

Hmm, quite different compared with Malaysia and Singapore. Singapore held the RA3 launch day on 27th while Malaysia on 28th for those who preordered (those who were not, can only buy them starting the next day). People starting to queue up early since early birds will get freebies (in Malaysia, the first dude got a new gaming rig worth RM 5000). At the launch day venue, there were cosplay girls as natasha and tanya, free food and other stuffs. but i didn't go since i got better things to do plus i've already preordered for them to courier it to my door step.

The reason is they decided in their wisdom to release for a holiday season that contains games like:

Fallout 3

Mirror's edge

Gears of War 2

Resistance 2

Little Big Planet

Left 4 Dead

WOW - Wrath of the Litch King

There are all these top flight games, and are inherantly going to draw attention away from RA3

But there is no reason that this should normally happen. Red Alert was one of the top selling games of all time, and one of the most memorable among general people. Also Red Alert 2 is another of the really memorable.

In fact, the whole CNC franchise is supposed to be explosive. It was the same as the Warcraft/Starcraft franchise. So what happened? How did it descend?

In doing so, I am going to blame EALA, for what they turned CNC3 and RA3 into. Though really, it started with Red Alert 2. Their whole concept, design direction of what CNC is and should be is wrong. And I think it shows.

Actually I would imagine C&C3 is the best selling cnc of all time. The games industry is much bigger today than it was 8 years ago.

However take Fallout 3, it has ALREADY shipped 4.7 million copies :o C&C can't compete with that, let alone WoW with it's bazillion subscribers and GDP bigger than 70 countries. When you release into a saturated environment, you get drowned out. It's like a middle eastern suk at the moment.

Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead....god those two kick ass. They are really something.

I get my money's worth out of those, my friend has RA3...it doesn't come close to compete.

You really can't compare FPS with RTS games..

FPS has a tenfold in popularity and sales.

But no worries, I'm not going to join the EA bashing groupies.

It 's just that, had i not read it here that RA3 is released, i would never have known....

something went wrong with the PR machinery in Belgium, aparently and it will most likely translate itself in much lower sales...

There are a lot of very good games coming out this month and space in the enthusiast press is finite. It's like trying to release a film around the same time as the next Batman or any other big blockbuster. It could be a really great romance, a complete antithesis to a gothic superhero action film, but don't expect it to get much attention.

There are a lot of very good games coming out this month and space in the enthusiast press is finite. It's like trying to release a film around the same time as the next Batman or any other big blockbuster. It could be a really great romance, a complete antithesis to a gothic superhero action film, but don't expect it to get much attention.

lol, Mamma Mia! was released the same day as The Dark Knight and it's the sixth highest grossing movie of 2008 so far with over 561 million dollars, just shy of Iron Man. :P

Well Mamma Mia! already had a huge number of guaranteed sales because so many middle aged people are in love with Abba. Marketplace saturation in the runup to the holidays is the real issue here, I guess my analogy sucks :lol:

Think about it though, Banjo Kazooie just released. Did anyone even notice?

wtf, Banjo Kazooie was released years ago.

You mean number 3? Noone cares, looks gay. Same with Red Alert 3. Just gives off a gay aura.

I still don't want to buy it. A first from me, not buying a game with 'Command & Conquer' in the title...

There are a lot of bad things about the game, but there are many good ones, as well.

I like the menu screen, it's neat. The music for the menu screen is very very cool as well. The rest of the music is good, but the Japanese music can get on my nerves after a bit. It sounds too much like the music from Troy, but played electronically. Starts to be like nails on a chalkboard. I find the different sides unique and different in build styles, but not by a huge margin. I seem to have a bit of trouble with the Russians, though, forgetting how they build from time to time.

The units are not unique enough for me by any stretch, but the Japanese ones are good for variety. The Russian and Allied units feel way too similar to me, however. Different skins, different special abilities, not much else.

I like the pages they take from the other CnC games (all the Red Alert units, for example), but way too much is identical, in my opinion. Little was unique for the Soviets. The MiGs did different things than they used to and the Tesla coils have now taken to the waves, but that's about it for anything new. Also, the V-4 totally doesn't do it for me at all. It's very good and I like it, but it looks so puny. Also, no flame weapons (that makes me sad).

The cut scenes are great and do a good job of making me feel like I'm playing a CnC title. The Allied plot is a bit heavy on the Dr Strangelove, though. Did I say "bit"? Change that to something more emphatic. In my opinion, the unit voices are some of the best out there. I do love the Slim Pickens bomber pilot. He's great. I build those just so I can fly them around and listen to the voice acting for it.

The feel (graphics, etc) is about in line with RA2, for me. It's too cheesy in a few places, to be sure, but doesn't go anywhere I absolutely can't see Westwood having gone post-RA2. That said, this game lacks that shred of taking itself seriously that did exist with the RA titles. In this one, you definitely get the impression these people are there to entertain you, like watching a stand-up comic. In the old CnC titles, even the RA-series, you knew it wasn't totally serious, but you got the impression that it mattered to them--like reading a comic book. It's less serious than RA1, to be sure, but not completely and totally off the reservation from RA2.

They did a good job with with the missions. There were a ton of them and they were reasonably well-designed. No complaints with the single player missions that way.

Logan Hartke

Many Thanks for the maps .

Does anyone have a favorite faction?

The allies were always my favorite up until RA3 ...now my favorite faction is the Empire of the Rising sun.

I just love Japanese factions art , style and music...They are one of my most favorite factions ever made for an RTS.

For some reason the allies didn't have the same appeal for me that they had in the previous games.

It most be the cartoon look and new game play style.*I hate the bright colors that cover a huge portion of everything*

If you look at the drawings and art for RA3 everything looks so awsome *everything from all factions except for the cryocopter*...once everything makes the jump from the realisticly cool looking art to the cartoon look of the game engine the units just lose alot of the appeal they have.

I just wish they had given the RA3 game engine a more realistic look.

One direction i would have really liked was to use most of the stuff from the prototype unit art...Is it just me or do those units like the aircraft carrier just look so cool? The one with the 4 gun turrets and flight deck that dips down.

I really love the allied aircraft with the turbofans, missle pods, and chain gun.

The premier edition has some very cool art for the Soviet Centurion Siege Crawler that never got in game.

Edited by usafirewarrior