DerelictStudios Forums
Wittman

Adobe Flash?

So I'm finished with my graphic design degree and have mastered photoshop, illustrator, after effects, etc - except I never really got into flash as I was more of logo, print, animation and illustration based. I'm wanting to learn how to build websites in flash using animated transitions and such. Does anyone know of any good tutorials or anything of the sort? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Also, if you haven't gone to my new website - http://www.jkdesigner.net

nice site, but i broke it way too easly. what ever you're using, turn off repeat for the menu images.

Fully flash? Lots of things you need to learn though if you wanted your site to be fully flash. Anyway, HTML and CSS are considered easy if you integrate links and such with Flash.

The site is very pretty indeed and it worked fine for me, but my grammar nazi alter-ego got angry and started looking for his snappy uniform - would you care for some suggestions on the text?

I detest Flash on websites. It serves no function.

Flash Actionscript 3.0 + PHP = awesome. It can connect to database and you can have many applications such as games or instant messengers that do not really require to be downloaded and installed just to be simply played on computer.

I make use of html and css a lot - I just need to learn flash enable to really implement the effect I want in a web site. My forte is bringing things to life and making them move.

I detest Flash on websites. It serves no function.

Same here. Would you rather convey a message or throw on meaningless fluff?

Flash + Mac = Exponential Fail

Take the wise words Wittman...

I was at Best Buy yesterday getting my iPhone 3G activated, and this guy brings a PC laptop up to the geeksquad guys. It was so effed up that he was going to have to pay $500 to get all the viruses and crap off it. There were 5-6 other people in line behind him with busted PCs. So far in the year that I've had my Macbook Pro - I've encountered no OS problems. I did have to get the logic board replaced because I nearly fried it using Maya. Otherwise, I've graduated with a degree in Graphic Design and have people calling me here to do freelance work for them.

My advice to you 'Nay' sayers: drink the Kool-Aid, buy a Mac - YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK! Since I got my Mac, no more "We're sorry, Windows crashed for no reason", "Hello Blue Screen of Death" and no more just prompts that just say "Error!" and close the program with no explanation. PCs are CRAP! Face it and get over it, I know everyone here has a PC and you're biased with what you've got - it's perfectly natural. I don't care if Macs aren't exactly gaming rigs, that's not what I bought it for.

And the 3G is awesome, too.

It does.

Windows is a bit shitty, but if you know what you're doing it's fully customizable and you can make it much more crash resistant. The problem is 95% of all programs are windows compatible, nowhere near as many are OSX compatible. Shitty software leads to memory leaks and crashes. It's a bit like comparing the health of bottom feeder fish and herbivore ones. Naturally one gets less parasites just because it doesn't tend to eat things which contain them. Doesn't mean a catfish is intrinsically born with parasites though.

I've tried my mom's macbook. It still crashes, just in different ways. It's still shit, just a different kind, with less software available.

I don't really know how people manage to fuck up computers so badly they'd be willing to pay up to 500$ to get them cleaned. For some odd reason I haven't had a BSOD in ages. The only program crashes I've had were either caused by my fiddling or crappy coding on the part of the program. The BSODs I did have I recieved because of bad drivers or overclocking. Other than that I just don't download all the crap I can find and I actually look up what to install on my PC. And voila. My computer is pretty much okay.

Apple stuffs are more user friendly and noobs friendly too. For starters, see the differences by using a clean install of Windows and a Mac OS X. Open a site that has javascripts or flash stuffs with Internet Explorer and a stupid warning that will slide-in at the top of page which eventually you have to click to allow the content to show for everytime you access the site. With Safari, the annoying thing never pop-in. Before someone yelling about Firefox or other browser shits, try to look on newbie side (or maybe when you're on an internet cafe/office that doesn't allow you to install other things). Windows is also annoying with various pop ups especially Vista that requires UAC to allow things to run. You can disable UAC but you will make your PC vulnerable. I don't really bother XP because that's one shitty OS in term of security. I know someone like MMMMMEEEEEEMan will try to say things like what he said in his post above but once in awhile, we may make silly mistakes. While the installation of software in Mac OS X requires administrator password everytime you wanna install an application. That's the only annoying thing I can see so far. Though the installation only requires such confirmation thing whenever it's related with the installation along with the computer system like iPhone SDK, Apple updates, Adobe Suite and a few others. Simple applications can be simply dragged from compressed files into the Application folder itself without hassle.

I once made my Macbook system folder went haywire because I was playing around with old drivers and Terminal (similar to Command Prompt in Windows). Be in mind that I am still a noob for Mac stuff especially to Unix Terminal command thing which I assume Phoib knows about it better. Surprisingly, reinstallation of Mac OS X was easier compared to Windows. Pop in the disc, install the Mac OS X, wait for it to finish and then setup the account. Simple as that and if you're thinking about serial key, each computer for Apple has already have its own serial number assigned as the hardware is genuine and the OS X is just for the hardware. 32bit and 64bit? Service Packs? Critical updates every week? Your laptop doesn't have enough juice to use Vista? Now, such jargons never been known much to Mac OS users. One Mac OS X version for every Apple computers.

Programming in Apple Mac is fun too as you can actually use C++ or Java embedded with the codes. Alas, gaming is dead on Mac.

P/S: I am not here to defend Apple. I still love Windows as for me being able to play games on it. I just give some views on newbie's perspective. My Macbook comes with Intel C2D 2.0Ghz with 1gb DDR2 as well as Intel's built in graphics. Pretty much, Windows can be install on the Macbook itself. Yet it still able to run Photoshop and Flash plus doing simultaneous tasks on both of them without too much lagging unlike Vista the resource hogger on the same laptop specs.

I'm not going to argue that windows has many security problems, but I believe that being moderately educated about computers and how to use them will help you avoid them.