DerelictStudios Forums
hawk10314

To Our British And Russian Friends

I would imagine the majority of Americans don't know the distinction between Britain and England given how often I have heard the same mistake in interviews and speeches. It's funny when you see even noted academics say England when they mean Britain.

It's also awesome, 'cos here in England there is the joke that the other places don't matter much. It's great to see the president unwittingly affirm it :lol:

I hope Alex Salmond is having conniptions right now.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/04/01/...matic-protocol/

mr. president, with all due respect...

SHUT

THE FUCK

UP

edit: http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politi...dent_gives.html this has to be a joke, right?

lol I heard about the iPod thing, but seriously? Come on Obama, seriously.

I would imagine the majority of Americans don't know the distinction between Britain and England given how often I have heard the same mistake in interviews and speeches. It's funny when you see even noted academics say England when they mean Britain.

It's also awesome, 'cos here in England there is the joke that the other places don't matter much. It's great to see the president unwittingly affirm it :lol:

I hope Alex Salmond is having conniptions right now.

Well its true England makes a nice shorthand for United Kingdom, but then again, people know its also easier to say U.K. as well. But I would disagree, ESPECIALLY people who take pride in their Scottish roots. And speaking of Scottish roots, nearly everyone around here has some Scottish. A little. Mostly German and Danish though. And everyone has like 1/4 or 1/8 or so Native American.

Edited by IconOfEvi

England isn't shorthand for the UK any more than New England is shorthand for the US... :P

Even Chomsky gets mixed up. When you start looking you see it a great deal.

Who gives a shit about Wales or Scotland though? They've given us... Well, I guess the invention of sheep-fucking and a Star Trek character.

That's from a graphic novel called Crecy by Warren Ellis. It's about when the English longbow massacred lots of French cavalry, and the origins of the V sign.

I don't like the implication that William was French though. William was a Norman (Norse-man) not a Frog. The treacherous French king actually tried to invade and destroy the Norman state. Just cos his people owned part of modern day France that doesn't mean you should sully the man's reputation. The same can be said of the English, Spanish, Italians and Germans too so pppthhhbt.

Hey its still fucking awesome you cunt. (j/k :P)

Thanks for telling me what it is though, been looking for long time :)

I mean how much more epic can you get in a description of the Normans:

1233265935640.jpg

Edited by IconOfEvi

Yeah I know but calling a Viking a Frog is just plain wrong however you cut it. Anyway I think the French spoke German at that point, being Frankish and all, brining language into things is a bit pissy.