DerelictStudios Forums
hawk10314

To Our British And Russian Friends

If you are reading the news lately, Gordon Brown visited Washington and exchanged gifts, Britain gave us a pen carved from the anti-slave ship, HMS Gannet. And a first edition bio of Winston Churchill. In exchange, Obama matched it with 25 DVDs. (He can't even play them because they are in the wrong format) Oh and for the kids, they ran to the white house gift shop and gave them two Marine One Helicopter model toys. And to top it off, We gave you back the bust of Winston Churchill that was given to us shortly after 9-11 as a symbol of unity.

For the Russians, we gave you a Staples Easy button with the words "Over Charged" written in Russian.

Seriously, I am sorry. Britain, you should have been given a much more symbolic gift then DVDs and toy helicopters. It is embarrassing to say the least.

As for you Russia, we should have at least spelled "Reset" correctly on your Staples easy button.

I've been anxiously awaiting the first gaffe by a public figure about black people's supposed stinginess, but to no avail.

I bet the DVDs were region 1 to boot.

Also, Star Wars? Really? A movie about all-american dudes like harisson ford fighting space nazis with british accents? Really?

Edited by Monkey

What we will get when he visits us next month? A bathrobe from the White House? A card deck from Air Force 1? Or just an barf bag? B)

Regards,

ironduke57 :D

Probably something better than the British. I suppose his distaste of the British goes back towards his father's legacy, and the Luo's problems in the Mau Mau War, and in general with the British authorities. Churchill, most likely represents the colonizing white man to him.

Seeing as how he generated those massive crowds in Germany, I'd suppose it'd be something more than what the British got. But he better be careful of the bridges he burns, in the course of what he wants.

But this does ask the classic question to Britain, and that is...who are you going to ultimately ideologically side with? Closer to Europe or closer to America?

As for Russia...that was partially Hillary's fault. She wanted to pull a "Reset" stunt, so at least Sergei had the lols to make fun of her for it. :P

Edited by IconOfEvi

Maybe if they were the film reels, that'd be impressive. But come on, not even Blu-ray, but DVD? The DVD versions of pretty much every movie on that list is what, ten bucks new?

EDIT: To be fair, only three movies on that list are availabe on high definition discs, but still.

Edited by Windows V

:lol: I think it shows the relative importance of the visit. Brown's team were probably agonising for weeks about what to give, whereas for Obama's people it was just a case of going "ahh get 'em some DVDs".

Still I bet they are kicking themselves now, saying "damn we should have gone with gift vouchers!"

Its like he didn't even know he was coming to visit and at the last minute he said "quick, here take this basket and go into the living room and pick out 25 DVDs" "Oh, and for the boys, go down the the gift shop and get those toy things" :lol:

I had this idea to carve an obelisk with passages from the Book Of The Dead, something about isles of dreams or something.

It would be also historical in the sense that it was E A Wallis Budge under the British Museum that got it first to light.

Probably something better than the British. I suppose his distaste of the British goes back towards his father's legacy, and the Luo's problems in the Mau Mau War, and in general with the British authorities. Churchill, most likely represents the colonizing white man to him.

Seeing as how he generated those massive crowds in Germany, I'd suppose it'd be something more than what the British got. But he better be careful of the bridges he burns, in the course of what he wants.

But this does ask the classic question to Britain, and that is...who are you going to ultimately ideologically side with? Closer to Europe or closer to America?

As for Russia...that was partially Hillary's fault. She wanted to pull a "Reset" stunt, so at least Sergei had the lols to make fun of her for it. :P

Are you in the least bit aware that you have a nasty tendency to over analyze things? To the point that people look at your post and go, what. the. fuck.

I'm just curious.

Well the gift gaffe is simple enough, but the Churchill return? No, Obama is definitely aware of his father and that legacy and line, and their struggles with the British. After all, his father ran out on him. Its a psyche thats not uncommon to fatherless men.

Are you in the least bit aware that you have a nasty tendency to over analyze things? To the point that people look at your post and go, what. the. fuck.

I'm just curious.

Yeah, yeah I've heard.

I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I read that first post.

Whats wrong wit making an obelisk sculpture :(?

We built a tunnel to Europe.

:Still I bet they are kicking themselves now, saying "damn we should have gone with gift vouchers!"

Yeah, from Argos

Probably something better than the British. I suppose his distaste of the British goes back towards his father's legacy, and the Luo's problems in the Mau Mau War,

You honestly think he gives a crap? Do you? You really think his people, the same kinds of goons who've fetched presents for foreign heads of state since... well, forever... Picked out really awesome gifts and he said "No, don't give those limey sacks of crap anything!"?

His father saw him so little in his life, I'd say Kenya's policies matter about as much to him now as Connecticut's mattered to Bush in his time in office.

More of the 'with us or against us' crap?

I think they'll be for what they decide. If we pull another war out of our ass, they may not go along if the British people themselves are set against it.

You honestly think he gives a crap? Do you? You really think his people, the same kinds of goons who've fetched presents for foreign heads of state since... well, forever... Picked out really awesome gifts and he said "No, don't give those limey sacks of crap anything!"?

No, again, in this specific circumstance, it seems like just he forgot, but I'm focusing more on his returning the Churchill bust, and being ambivalent to the point of being cold to Gordon Brown.

More of the 'with us or against us' crap?

I think they'll be for what they decide. If we pull another war out of our ass, they may not go along if the British people themselves are set against it.

No that wasn't what I was talking about...

His father saw him so little in his life, I'd say Kenya's policies matter about as much to him now as Connecticut's mattered to Bush in his time in office.

Yes I said that earlier, that his father didn't see him barely, but you're wrong about Kenya's policies. For one, he campaigned for Raila Odinga, a fellow Luo. But what I was referring to was not Kenya, but his people, the Luo, and his father's legacy.

Oh good. Only two months in office and hes already trying to continue our last president's policy of international faux pas.

Logan Hartke

A Playstation 3 would have been a great gift.

But I suppose that would have been in wrong power configuration, in addition to region.

Couldn't they just give him a player too?

Would only work if his TV would work with NTSC Signals. So to be sure you also have to give him a TV, too. And Transformers from 110V to 230V for both.

Regards,

ironduke57