DerelictStudios Forums
ironduke57

New Mechwarrior!111111111111

IMHO the 775 platform has reached a point where investments higher then a hand full of bucks isn´t cost effective anymore.

I just made a short look for good start components with growth potential later on:

- Boxed Pentium G860 (2x3,0Ghz) ~60€. A i3-2120 with 3.30Ghz would be ~100€.

- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ~100€ (That one as additional holes for 775 coolers, so if you have a good 775 cooler you still can use that.)

- a 2x4GB DDR3-1333 Kit comes at not even ~30€ and a 2x8GB Kit ~60€

And if you really need a new case that shouldn´t be a deal breaker:

- 3R System R480 for ~20€ or AeroCool Strike-X One Advance (With 2xUSB3 at the front, but sadly with the PSU on the case floor.) for ~30€

(No you have to do the converting from € to your silly currency yourself. :P)

Regards,

ironduke57

(No you have to do the converting from € to your silly currency yourself. :P)

You forget, I'm British, so it's € x 0.800839 plus the 20% "You're British" overcharge = £ :P

That´s your problem with living on the wrong side of the channel. thefinger.gif

No seriously. With around ~200£ (after your formula) could get some nice basic system which would clearly superior to your system with an E8600 and could take for example later on an Ivy Bridge i5 or i7. (A Quad should clearly fasten up your renderings.)

There are surely cheaper boards (like an MATX board with H61 chipset for ~ 35€), but IMHO that is the most important part of a system if you want to be able to upgrade it some time in the future without having to change the board again. So it should be fullsize ATX, have 4 Mem slots, has minimum one classic PCI slot for the occasion, all solid caps, is Ivy Bridge comp. and so on.

But that is just me. I am basically always have the point of view that if I see that that what I would get if I pay some bucks more is worth it I do it. Even if that means that I have to save up my money a bit more to be able to get it.

Regards,

ironduke57

Well, you've definately given me a fair bit to think about. The 550Ti is bought and paid for, so it's on it's way (the 560 Ti is still too expensive).

I have a couple of weeks yet before the next purchases, so I'll be thinking a lot about it :P

Today I just bought new PC upgrades:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 PC3-12800 RAM

Totalled £297. Should all be here by Wednesday 7th...

well, the memory sticks arrived on Saturday... less than 24 hours after I ordered them from eBay, which is quite impressive. The processor arrived today (Monday), just waiting for the motherboard now...

Picked up a copy of PC Gamer this morning. In this month's hardware section, they rated the Core i5 3570K with a 93% score and awarded it the Editor's Choice badge...

...Get in!! :D ...