DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eb12345

A Better German Strategic Bomber Than The He 111

Ok I was going to start telling you about the He 177 but I'm sure you came across it in the course of your research for this mod (This is the best mod I've ever played, and I've played every mod going for the command and conquers, I never thought anything could beat europa barbarorum and the rights of man for the total war games). The He 111 could become a tactical bomber or just another strategic bomber.

The He 177 was pretty much the same size as the B 17 and lancaster. It had 4 engines, with 2 engines per propellor (A very strange layout). It could carry about 6,000 kg of bombs and even 3 cruise missiles. It might be an idea to introduce cruise missiles as an answer to the grand slam of the allies.

Heinkel_He177.jpg

Edited by Eb12345

Thanks for the suggestion Eb12345 your idea is cool but like From Norway said, there would be many units to add to the mod but we had to make choices. We focus more on faction's strength and Germany's strenght was elsewhere than strategic bombing. We choosed to give Germans a good shot at all their jets developpment instead.

The Ar234 isn't a strategic bomber. In fact the He111 isn't a strategic bomber either, it's more like the B-25 than the B-17. The reason why the Germans don't have a strategic bomber is because they never really wanted to launch a strategic bombing campaign.

The B-17 and Lancaster raids are an allies speciality just like the massed T-34 production is a Soviet speciality.

If the Germans had launched massed strategic campaigns with the He 177 then they would have them in the mod but planes like this just weren't a big part of their thinking. The A-symmetry in the different sides is a reflection of the mentality of the leadership of the factions as their views on how to wage war developed through the war.

The role of the He111 and Il4 isn't really equivalent to the B-17s/Lancasters. They are probably best used to disable a portion of tanks in the enemy lines, or just force them to move as an attack rolls in. They aren't availible in enough numbers to allow for a complete paralysis of industry like the Allies can achieve with their "1000" bomber raids.

Now cruise missiles... well we already have 2 (V1s and V2s) I don't think we need more... The Wasserfall is one thing I have considered adding but the strategic bombers seem to be under used so I don't really think it's needed.