DerelictStudios Forums
Commander_Zero

R3 Unit Losses & Changes

First off i'd like to say great job to everyone that worked on this mod it is a great mod. I have been following it for some time like the 2.5 and the 2.6 realease. i just was wondering why r3 lost some of the units the previous ones had.

Examples

p38

go 229 german flying wing

airfields

and the trench lines you use to be able to put infantry in....

etc....

also i read some things about how the airfields were taking out to simulate realism to the mod...i also wanted to ask that since in this version r3 that that was achieved....if there may be any later versions these may be put back in to give the game some more fun factor than just focusing on realism? dont get me wrong it is fun and i enjoy playing it but i do think these items help for a bit more of it...plus id like to add that the rank system for r3 takes a really long time to upgrade.... makes a single player game take forever.....but either way whatever you guys do congrats on it & thanks for the mod..... :P

Edited by Commander_Zero

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for playing blitz.

Some units have been removed infavour of others, like the p-38 is replaced by p47 and mosquito. Airfields have been replaced by airtowers to call in aircraft as commanders did in ww2.

The replacements are somewhat final, the discussion about them has been closed ages ago.

You rank up automatically, plus via XP gained by destroying enemy units. This may take a while when engaging single skirmish Ai's.

I hope this is enough info.

Gr. DirtyHarry

Edited by DirtyHarry

Also I want to add that the new air calling system is just great, it not just realism but also add a stretegic factor. you can destroy airplane when on the airfield but just during the air raid. This gives you a feel of urgency when you hear the siren that is unprecedent in ZERO hour, is not an uncounterable superweapon but a real threat you can do something for.

Yep :)

Also, you can stack your aircraft.

The Ground attack aircraft you can call in to a location, like close to your army, where they will hover - then when you are attacking, you can send em in from there at the enemy hotspots. This is how they are meant to be used. If you call em in on target, they will auto select something after a while, usually not optimal.

Do note, the groundattack aircraft and fighters can only be intercepted after they arrived at their call-in location, which resembles lowering altitude for an attack.

Gr. DirtyHarry

Dear Count...first of all go and get installed your ZH cd and Blitz3....from there it will be a real pleasure for us to play with you online....and once this is done, maybe your nostalgy for these old units will disappear like smoke ;)

My summary verdicts on these units:

P-38 - cut because it was more suitable for the Pacific theatre where long loiter times really came in handy. It made its mark in the East and so I think we should leave it there. It did see service in the European theatre too but it lacked a heated cabin so was pretty bad for the poor frozen popsicle pilots. I prefer the P-40, it's one of my favourite aircraft of the war and much more appropriate for the European fighting.

The Go-229 was cut because it was still in the prototype stages. AFAIK the most up to date prototype crashed killing its test pilot. It was never in a fit state to see combat. I feel we should only include units that were actually ready for combat in 1945. I know the Maus is a borderline case but it did allegedly see action and if it did not then it is plausible that it could have and that's good enough for me.

If the mod continued into 1946 we enter alternate history territory. This scenario is very rich and offers many exciting units but we have to draw a line somewhere.

Ideally I would love it if the game could be continued through into 1950s era technology up to around the end of the Korean war. There is a paradigm shift from early 1939 technology to the fully mature mechanised warfare tech of 1945 and the same is true from the WW2 era until the end of the Korean war. We would see the maturity of Jets, SAMs, the coming of age of the MBT, Helicopter infantry. I think it would be pretty cool if the tech tree was, for the most part, never "maxed out".

However, ignoring the huge extra work, ZH is not the engine for this kind of game. For starters air combat is BAAAAAAD and the UI sucks for big battles.

hey guys any chance we could see the Gloster Meteor in any later gaming? i know its primary roll during the war was to shoot down v1's over britian but it be cool for the me262 to have another jet to go up against..it first flew in 1943 and became operational in 1944....just thought i'd give an idea....and i see how you prefer the new air callin system it is nice...maybe im just stuck on the old airfields ....idk.....also just to add another suggestion it be nice to see the bombers do some kinda damage to stuff. i kinda understand the diableing thing to buildings and tanks but it should at least do some damage...but just my opinion ....anyway thank you all for all your answers to my post...and thanks for a great game :D

Meteors should really be in but I never got around to making one. Basically I loved the Salamader more than the Meteor... What a bloody traitor!