DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mehman

Haha, Fuck You Avatar

So that overrated movie recieved a mere three oscars, but I think they were in the right categories. Fine, I haven't seen the other movies in those categories, but I think the visuals and art was pretty good. The rest was overrated. The story was cheesy at best, the lines were average at best.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8493152.stm

Avatar was basically the evil, cruel USA vs the noble savage Native Americans, except that it insulted all our former adversaries in the Indian Wars by making the heroes furries.

Avatar was basically the evil, cruel USA vs the noble savage Native Americans, except that it insulted all our former adversaries in the Indian Wars by making the heroes furries.

blue furries.

The story was basicly pocahontas 2.0. god I hated it.

I'm surprised you didn't like it, Mehman. As for The Hurt Locker, I thought it was absurdly boring, as well as completely unrealistic at times (see: sniper battle), but I'm glad it beat out Avatar, and with six Oscars to boot. To bad the one Oscar it truly deserved, that of Best Actor for Jeremy Renner in his best performance ever, instead went to Jeff Bridges for playing some down on his luck singer who redeems himself through in a completely original comeback story that we've never seen before.... yawn.

Pocahontas at least had a decent song

Quite. Where Avatar's score wasn't recycled from Horner's previous works (if you listen, you can hear strains of both Glory and Enemy at the Gates throughout), it was crap. Up's Michael Giacchino (hopefully you all recognise his name from the tremendous work he's done, including for video games) completely deserved this one.

Edited by Windows V

I'm surprised you didn't like it, Mehman. As for The Hurt Locker, I thought it was absurdly boring, as well as completely unrealistic at times (see: sniper battle), but I'm glad it beat out Avatar, and with six Oscars to boot. To bad the one Oscar it truly deserved, that of Best Actor for Jeremy Renner in his best performance ever, instead went to Jeff Bridges for playing some down on his luck singer who redeems himself through in a completely original comeback story that we've never seen before.... yawn.

Pocahontas at least had a decent song

Quite. Where Avatar's score wasn't recycled from Horner's previous works (if you listen, you can hear strains of both Glory and Enemy at the Gates throughout), it was crap. Up's Michael Giacchino (hopefully you all recognise his name from the tremendous work he's done, including for video games) completely deserved this one.

Well, Avatar was an underachiever. I try to steer clear of mainstream cinema because the stream is mostly vomit and crap, but sometimes something good comes out of it. Avatar was being pumped up into something amazing so I said: eh, I'll risk it. The visuals were great, but I just couldn't get over the shitty script. I mean, just, gah. Gah at best. As if the script came out of a script generator. And then threw in how being paid to hold a gun makes you ok to be killed(killing big blue people = wrong, killing small pink people = right).

And then threw in how being paid to hold a gun makes you ok to be killed(killing big blue people = wrong, killing small pink people = right).

THANK YOU. More people need to realise this. Like what if the Navi weren't cute litte (well, big) blue furries? What if they looked like the aliens from District 9? Would everyone sympathise with them then? That's why District 9 is the superior film - it forces the viewer to see past his own initial feelings of disgust. There's none of that in Avatar, it's just flat out Navi = good.

Interestingly enough, I was watching Starship Troopers the other day and it totally reminded me of Avatar. So does Independence Day, strangely enough.

Edited by Windows V

Meh. He had a really great performance, but I have two gripes, his ridiculous pipe in the first scene which was an unnecessary gag that tarnished an otherwise brilliant scene and reduced it to near-perfect, and

SPOILER

the way he dealt with the German informant. Lunging at her and choking her in a frenzy? Come on. I know he's supposed to be sort of unpredictable, but this is not the "dangerous man in control" that he's been. I would have enjoyed it more if he had calmly withdrawn a pistol and just shot her while keeping his characteristic grin and casual sitting position.

I liked the men who stare at goats, it made me laugh quite a bit. I never wanted to see avatar, the previews looked shity, and I'm not into the whole drama fantasy bullshit anyways.

What really possessed you to see this movie?

I've listened to an audiobook of TMWSAG, it's weird as hell what governments spend their money on. I guess the fact that they made it into a comedy says it all.

The only reason to see Avatar is cos it looks so awesome. I got the Furry Indians analogy with it too. I agree that the story is totally insulting to any real natives. It plays lip service to the idea that it's no good to be invading people and taking their land to plunder the resources, but it actually does no such thing. The reason the Navi are worth saving is actually because they have a super magic tree which is even more valuable than the physical resources and this super tree has the stones to physically defend itself and beat off the attackers.

The idea that nature has inherent value or indegenous people may have some kind of right to their ancestral lands is totally brushed aside. If anything it's suggesting that real natives are superstitious morons because, unlike the Navi, their beliefs aren't scientifically and objectively true. Man it looked pretty though.

Good reason

And yeah District 9 is coo (still gotta see whole movie), and it really does make you get past your own assumptions. Then again I find the Xenomorph Queen sexy, so whaddya know.

Good reason

And yeah District 9 is coo (still gotta see whole movie), and it really does make you get past your own assumptions. Then again I find the Xenomorph Queen sexy, so whaddya know.

what the shit