DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dood

Hmmm Why?

Why arent rocket or AT infantry available at the start of the game?

Simple question, simple answer.

Would they be too good that early?

Hmmm i guess that they consider rocketmen to be too advanced for the starting units... but makes sense to me that they should be available from beginning...

I think it has something to do with erning them insted of just starting with them. unlike generals its hard to win the game in the first 10 minuts. With waitng to get more advance units and other cool things it makes the players play longer and to use the game to its full potential. This idea of erning your units is much more better then just building them and winning.

yeah I guess that sounds cool. I do enjoy upgrading to better tanks :D

btw no big deal but you spelled earning wrong :D

The thing is, when they were available at the start...light tanks were useless, since they completely owned them. Plus, throwing a few in jeeps/motorcycles and you're great for hit and runs then.

yeah I guess that sounds cool. I do enjoy upgrading to better tanks :D

btw no big deal but you spelled earning wrong :D

yea I have a long history with bad spellings. So it doesn't bother me when people correct me it just helps me learn from my mistakes. I thought it was spelt with an A too.

Hehe, sometimes i dont like to capitalize or punctuate :D

So what about this smurf?

Oh, but wouldnt that make the player think a little and send some snipers/other infantry in to take care of AT soldiers?
Edited by Dood

I think it is fine and doesnt need changing, but it seems to make sense that you start with rocket men... but if I think about it, they are really strong VS vehicles as smurf said and yes in early game they would be to strong, i guess i think it makes sense because in most other games that is how it is... anyway ya can use grenades early in game against the armored threat...

Yeah but still....they wouldnt be so strong with snipers as part of your attack force.

As for basic infantry......swarms of em are fun to use to piss off the enemy :P

Not to mention, I believe theyre cheapest so use them to do your mass garrisoning (sp?) of citys.

It is like you said, fine though. I just think this will help add a bit more strategy (maybe even usefulness to infantry) to the game. The way most matches I play go; Mass tank battles till someone cant keep up. -Thankfully we are blessed with fun artillery for strategy :)

-Off topic for a sec. Am I the only one that thinks russian artillery are incredibly slow? Maybe a bug but one time it took em 2 minutes to fire another volley of rockets at their target for me.

Edited by Dood

how about this, have rockets as a fairly early game tech upgrade (or a low generals point upgrade) for ur basic infantry. Making it so rockets are accesible somewhat earlier.

ie: you get 2 soldiers for 60$ if you're german for example. U can select a soldier (once the upgrade is purchased) and upgrade him with a Rocket weapon for say 200$ or whatever. That way basic infantry will have more options and uses later on in the game.

-Off topic for a sec. Am I the only one that thinks russian artillery are incredibly slow? Maybe a bug but one time it took em 2 minutes to fire another volley of rockets at their target for me.

How long would it take YOU to jump out of your truck, pull sixteen missiles out of an ammo box, slide them onto sixteen rails, lock them into sixteen placees, install the igniters in all sixteen, jump back in the cab of your truck, and press the fire button? Yeah, a lot longer than it'd take you to reload a 87mm, 105mm, or 150mm cannon :P

It took a highly trained crew of 5 90sec to reload a 6 barreled Nebelwerfer. (Historical accurate!)

-> the Nebelwerfer lorry was at loading height and much easier to fill up then the high racks of the BM13

-> Nebelwerfer rockets were not as heavy at the Katyusha's

I estimate it would take around 10min to refill a BM13, on condition you got your ammo supplytruck next to you...

I havent used them yet how strong are the volleys? like do thery have a large splash area?? because that long to load and being able to destroy 1 tank doesnt sound good to me, but i have no idea so may be how i would want it...

The rockets wont do much damage to heavies, but they can take out clusters of medium tanks (Do not bunch your tanks up :P) when they start firing, god its like they wont stop :D of course it takes an eqaully long time to reload thank god.

ok, so they fire many many many rockets before you have to reload again... thats cool, and I am sure no matter how it works that it is balanced, and that is all that matters really...

Edited by gonefshn

Yeah really, one time the AI surprised me with those damn things and did just that to my army of tanks. Sometimes they surprise me with stupidity so of course I didnt expect that :D

I better stop going off topic cause someones gonna cry spam, i just know it. :P

I better stop going off topic cause someones gonna cry spam, i just know it.

SPAM! Well, actually, it was sorta on topic. *Redirects comment to Gonefshn* "SPAM!"

Seriously Gonefshn, if you're just trying to be heared, you're just pissing people off. And if you make one more rank by posting bullshit like this, you'll be demoted to private again. We CAN do that, and we have in the past.

The rockets wont do much damage to heavies, but they can take out clusters of medium tanks (Do not bunch your tanks up ) when they start firing, god its like they wont stop  of course it takes an eqaully long time to reload thank god.

The Katyusha isn't an antitank weapons. Right now it's actually *too* effective against tanks for what it really was. The Katyusha is just good because it can lay so much firepower onto so large an area so quickly when compared to other artillery. While the rockets have very little armor piercing ability, they are very explosive and send shrapnel everywhere, making them easily the most effective antiinfantry and antibuilding and anti light tank artillery in the game. In the next version it'll fire the rockets off faster and reload a bit quicker so it'll be a bit more practical to use. Hopefully we'll also have the missile racks raise and lower a bit faster as well.

Yeah but still....they wouldnt be so strong with snipers as part of your attack force.

As for basic infantry......swarms of em are fun to use to piss off the enemy <_<

Not to mention, I believe theyre cheapest so use them to do your mass garrisoning (sp?) of citys.

It is like you said, fine though. I just think this will help add a bit more strategy (maybe even usefulness to infantry) to the game. The way most matches I play go; Mass tank battles till someone cant keep up. -Thankfully we are blessed with fun artillery for strategy :)

this is where hotkeys come into play, number your artilery (lets say you have 5) 1-5 then when your going to attack a target make them fire at diferent times therefor insted of waitng 2 minuts to fire again you have a constaint or almost constaint barage of rockets.