DerelictStudios Forums

Are the navies in the final version going to be:

A. Realisticly sized Generals style?

B. Scaled-down, RA2 type?

C. Neither?

navies arent really possible in Generals. The Generals Engine( the whoel thing) wont allow structures to be biult in water. Im not sure if anything has changed on this, any new developments to bypass this. The main one is to make tilesets for a naval yartd, like a beach and have it biuldable there, then units spawn out. Thats the only logical way...

If navy is added.. It should be non-buildable.. but should be more of a support.. like a certain ship supplys troops via boat transport across.. and aircraft carriers for aeroplanes.. and battleships for arty support..

they appear in the map already or in a certain time when the ship is destroyed it is reinforced..

Edited by Firefly

never said there wouldnt be. :D

So..... C?

Damn it, I hate ambiguous answers like that. lol

Edited by Purplemonkey

I agree, they aren't neccesary (sp?), but they are nice. And where would Japan be w/o their navy? If you don't put in the navy, you may as well just not put in the japanese at all.

i think japan could still be a nice side to have...the Jet Airplane Technology was far better than the Germans at the End of the War. the ME262 they had was faster...most of the jet engines they recieved they refined making planes faster, and better.

navies arent really possible in Generals. The Generals Engine( the whoel thing) wont allow structures to be biult in water

are you sure about that? if so, when trying to build on water, it would say "cannot build - obstacles are in the way" or something like that. but, instead, it just says "unit cannot reach construction site". the same message appears when you try to build on say a cliff that you cant go up. but, when you use a chinnok and move the dozer onto the cliff, you can then build. so the problem with building on water (imo) is not that the water is an unbuildable surface, its that the dozer cant get to the water!!!

my solution? i'm not sure how to do this, but you would have to code the dozer to somehow be amphibious or something so it could reach the water. then, make all buildings unbuildable ecept for the shipyard. there ya go!

and for the water, i've seen water mini-mods that makes the water very stormy like or change colors. perhaps there is a way to make the water still and not moving. (i think the moving action is what causes the lag, am i right?)

what do you think? possible?

navies suck anyways...you realise how much lag a water map would have...or just the units period. Generals is too zoomed close to have a navy. The only way would be to make every unit super small, then make the boats normal size It would just be annoying IMO

The only way would be to make every unit super small, then make the boats normal size It would just be annoying

easy, dont need to change the size of everything, just change the view distance. set it to RA-RA2 view (in terms of top-down view) and the units will be smaller. all you have to do is go into the GameData file and change the following:

CameraPitch

CameraHeight

MaxCameraHeight

MinCameraHeight

raise the CameraPitch and CameraHeight number, and lower the MaxCameraHeight and MinCameraHeight number. ta da! i think that will change the view distance well. so, for some maps, have a size really big like, i dunno, 1000x1000 and have navy on them. then, for that campaign, it will automatically incorporate the modified GameData file. would that work?

possible solution for the harbor building on water problem, why don't you make the harbor a tech structure?

This way you could limit the number of harbors on a map, fix the problem of how to build ships and get em into the water and it would be totally realistic to.

Building a barracks or warfactory in a conquered land was/is fully normal I think but afaik no nation in ww2 ever dug out a new harbor in a land they conquered, they took over the old ones, this would make the capturing of harbors instead of building them fully realistic and because tech buildings are placed in the worldbuilder it would get rid of that problem at the same time.

Note, being a techbuilding of this great importance it should be made indistructable(seeing that no bombardment or shelling of the harbor could fill in the harbor itself that would be totally realitic to)

If it is impossible to do the placing of the techbuilding as I(being capturable and being able to put ships directly into the water) you could always insert a trigger of some sort into the map that if you take over another building fully on shore you automaticly take control over the harbor and it's production capabilities.

And one last thing, think it would be cool to make a naval only map.

Two small landmasses, one harbor on each, the harbor should be yourse from the start and then you just go and build ships to battle it out.(harbor should be destroyable in this case) first one to destroy the other guys harbor wins.

bit of a cash problem for this map though, maybe an edited command center or harbor to give you a lot of cash(ships won't be made cheap I think)

So in which extent is this idea do able?

[EDIT] being a navy only map you could make the scale much smaller to, keep most of the details and have smaller ships(though ships have to be big to have that big bulky feel to em anyway) but you could shrink em a bit.

good idea, sverkuijlen2000! perhaps we'll need like a Navy SEAL or some type of commando dude who can walk and swim - this way he can capture buildings in the water. and some battles vs japanese did involve just ships - coral sea mainly ships fighting each other, not much land combat.

Well, navys did play a pretty important role in the european thearter, but by the time blitz 2 is set, later in the war, the german navys were in dissaray, but navys would play an incredibly important role in the pacific thearter if its ever added, and personnaly i dont see them being very usable in our current maps, but maps based around island battles navys would play an important role(pacific thearter that is), also the harbour idea is excellent, and would lead to some exciting battles of capture and defend, good idea sver

*blush* seems I finally come up with something good :lol:

Anyway, anyone know if it's possible?

@hawk

I don't think a one inch battleship will make as much of a impression as a monstrosity(sp?) of 4 inches moving over you're screen would it..