DerelictStudios Forums
Biohazard

Gather Round Children! It's Story Time!

I found something out that you probably know already, but the Abrams according to my little POS book has British Chobham armor, like that on the Challenger 2. It also said that it is impenetrable to any sort of anti-tank rocket or tank gun. Is this true? I heard that 10 American vehicles were lost during Desert Storm, but I am assuming they are all Hummers and/or Bradleys, or any other "light" vehicle I'm leaving out.

We actually did lose Abrams tanks - we just didn't lose any crewmen. We had one instance where an Abrams shot another in a night battle, and another when a T-72 that had been sitting with all power off, therefore appearing abandoned, fired at an Abrams from the side and took it out. The Abrams isn't invincible. We lost a couple more to other mishaps, but most were salvagable, and several reparable and sent back into action.

The t-72 has recoil controll systems, the gun is somewhat stabilized and, it can fire guided weapons up to 4,000m compared to the m1a1 abrams and leopards 3,000m and 3,400m for the Leclerc.

Guided weapons? Where are you getting this from? The T-72 doesn't have guided weapon capability O..o And I can promise you it's gun isn't accurate to anything more than 2000 on a good day.

However, the initial and only point I set out to prove remains: training isn't the end-all, and technology is the big player.

Guided weapons? Where are you getting this from? The T-72 doesn't have guided weapon capability O..o And I can promise you it's gun isn't accurate to anything more than 2000 on a good day.

Russian T-80s, T-90s, and modified T-72s can all fire guided anti-tank missiles from their smoothbore cannon. These missiles were developed about the time of the collapse, and run off early 90's technology if I'm not mistaken, though.

Besides, few tank regiments are equipped with them.

Most Russian tanks can use a guided projectile called the Reflex, a 125mm cannon launched laser guided rocket.

All they need is a laser rangefinder and the rocket itself.

The gunner just points and shoots.... easy as that. And the rocket will guide itself and is accurate up to 3 km.

Edited by AETAaAS

The t-72 has recoil controll systems, the gun is somewhat stabilized and, it can fire guided weapons up to 4,000m compared to the m1a1 abrams and leopards 3,000m and 3,400m for the Leclerc.

However, the initial and only point I set out to prove remains: training isn't the end-all, and technology is the big player.

It sure as hell does shoot guided weapons, and where did the information? Well that just proves you didnt even bother reading the information on the site i posted regarding to the t-72.I'm also pretty sure a GUIDED heat rocket is very accurate and this isn't WW2 anymore buddy missiles have some good range now.(We have them too.)And if your talking technology... hmm it seems like the t-72 is STILL a capable tank to this day. . Chineese technology is getting nastier across the board too. I'm just trying to get you to understand that Russian, Asian, and European technology has improved right along with us for the most part. We probably still have everyone beat in air power and by "power" I mean tecnology. I never disagreed on that. .

In conclusion, Technology is a HUGE player yes I agree. But you need to be properly TRAINED to use it!! :mellow: I again come back to saying that if your army cannot effectively use their equipment.. how will they beat and army highly trained and drilled like the USARMY Tank divisions as well as the USMC divisions.

So training plays an equally important role in warfare. Try telling the US Army to send their tank crews half trained. They would probably knock you up side the head. :lol:

On many occasion Canadian Tank Crews (wich are known for their elite training) in Leopard C2s (upgraded 1960ies tank) defeated National Guardsmen in M1A1 Abrams in exercises.

On many occasion Canadian Tank Crews (wich are known for their elite training) in Leopard C2s (upgraded 1960ies tank) defeated National Guardsmen in M1A1 Abrams in exercises.

Really? That doesn't suprise me though. this just proves old technology can still be useful if updated. How did the Canadians fair against Army and Marines if they worked together at all.

Edited by Slick Willy