DerelictStudios Forums
EvilViking

F/a-22a Raptor

aha! thats funny...but not true.... they are dinosaurs...keep up.....even migs out manuver them

Well not totally true, the F-14D Super Tomcat is all around superior to the F/A-18 Super Hornet(The US chose theF-18 because of cheapness), and if they US had developed the F-14 Type 21(or Block, I forget) the F-14 would have increased range, and mavunerability on par with the F-15.

aha! thats funny...but not true.... they are dinosaurs...keep up.....even migs out manuver them

Okay man I have family and friends that are aircraft mechanics and pilots.That have been in Iraq for four years and they are goddamn veterans.So anything they tell me is true.If the F-14 had a dogfight with a F-22 the F-14 would murder it but if your meaning other things such as Air to ground then the F-22 takes the cake but with so far as dogfighting then it all goes down to The Tomcat.Yes they are old but they can still kick ass.

Edited by JokersAce

yep the raptor is a stealth aircraft, it sacrifices manouverability for a small radar profile.If it carries anything outside of its(tiny) interior payload, then it loses its stealth.

I bet it still doesnt perform like initially planned.Im actually surprised it doesnt go the way of the commanche.

Edited by key0p

theres a quote somewhere saying its most manuverable aircraft in the us arsenal

You people fail. The F-14 was made as an interceptor to protect the fleet from large bombers that could possibly attack it. The PHOENIX missile is said to work poorly against anything below the size of a bomber. Recent events, and the lack of an enemy with the capability to field such weapons has removed it's nescessity. The F/A-18 has a greater strike ability then the F-14, and with less threat against the fleet itself, it's the best option. Sure, the F-14 is a great plane, but do you really want them wasting your money on something that just won't get used?

The F/A-22 can outmaneuver the F-14 because of one thing: thrust vectoring. Second of all, the F-14 would most likely be shot down before it saw the Raptor.

yep the raptor is a stealth aircraft, it sacrifices manouverability for a small radar profile.If it carries anything outside of its(tiny) interior payload, then it loses its stealth.
4 Missiles and a pair of 1,000lbs bombs is hardly tiny. SDB will also add to this by making it 4 Missiles and 8 250lbs bombs.

last I saw it could only carry that much externally.Theres not really a lot of room in a fighter fuselage...Guess Ill need to check up.

The F/A-22 can outmaneuver the F-14 because of one thing: thrust vectoring. Second of all, the F-14 would most likely be shot down before it saw the Raptor.

negative4.jpg

silent killa is right on this one....dude, get ur facts right, f-22 own f14, they look like shit too lol

Uh.. I DO believe the Americans spent a coupla billion of your tax dollars building the F-22 to beat the last gen stuff, not to be worse. ;)

The F-22 has a much more powerful radar than the F-14s (from waht Ive seen, the F-22s radar is amazing)

So theoretically, the F-22 can hit a F-14 before the F-14 could lock the F-22.

BUT in terms of firepower, the F-14 (which will possibly be replaced by the JSF or F-22) carries the worlds most powerful ATA missile, the Phoenix.

Ok from what I've gathered, here are the pluses aand minuses IMO...

F/A-22 (My second favorite fighter)

+ Stealth

+ Radar

+ More ground attack capability

+ Manuverability(If a single F/A-22 can bet 5 F-15 with even being seen and or locked on to, it could kick a F-14's ass)

- Smaller palyoad capacity (only 6 missiles or 4 missiles and 2 JDAMs in weapons bay, but in missions where stealth is not needed the F/A-22 can carry up to 8 more missiles on the wings)

- Very Expensive

F-14 (My favorite plane)

+ Less expensive

+ Can carry the longest range ATA missile in the US arsenal(the only probelm is the one stated above)

+ More range

+ Carrier capable (The F/A-22 does not have a naval version as of yet, the F-14 is being replace by inferior(Cheaper less range and manuvability) F/A-18 Super Hornet, which is not really that super, it's slower then a F-18A)

+ Can engage up to six targets at the same time

+ Better at tracking cruise missiles

+ Manuvability (Greater then the F/A-18 Super Hornet and the JSF)

- Large, it's a big target

- No super cruise

- Two crew members, twice the manpower, twice the people that can get killed

- Not as stealthy as the F-22, but certanly more then the F-18

Both: They both are fast, (F-14 Mach 2.4+; F/A-22 as far as I know Mach 2.5+), but the F/A-22 has super cruise.

They are both great fighters but in a dogfight with US aircrews the F/A-22 would come out on top. The F-14 was made to counter low flying cruise missiles (F-14 radar and the Phoenix were tested against low flying drones that lookes like cruise missiles to radar, but they were also test against drones that looked like fighters pulling 6+ G manuvers), bombers and protect the Carrier Battle Fleet against enemy fighters. The F-22 was designed to be a fast, stealthy, deadly fighter for use against the current and next generation of soviet fighters(bare in mind the F-22 had begun design during the the Cold War) (About 1987).

So in short, you can not compare the F/A-22 and F-14 fairly, they both excel in what they were designed for, the F-14 for Naval Air Defence and the F-22 for Air Supremacy over land. They were designed at different times and with different guidelines, along with different missions, I am deeplly saddened to see the F-14 go, dang you George W. Bush.

the f-18 was meant to be an airforce plane but the airforce turned it down and once again the navy was digging in AF trash for a cheap plane

:D so funny, a lot of the stuff you say about the F-18 is all wrong.

So, Pestilence, what Aircraft Carrier you stationed on? You still on one? :P I remember seeing you were, but I'm not sure now. =\

:D so funny, a lot of the stuff you say about the F-18 is all wrong.

Acutally all that stuff is true, it comes from a Naval Rear Admrial, and Retired Rear Admiral, F-18A and Super Hornet and F-14 pilots.

They said that the F-18 Super Hornet is slower then the average F-18A and has less range, it also has to engage afterburner to keep up with a F-14 at full military thrust, the F-18 Super Hornet's range is 350 nm while the F-14s is 500 nm.

All the stuff from the super hornet comes from a military website (lost the link), but the F-18 Super Hornet is mostly better then the F-18A, it's good all around, but doesn't excel at anything. (The F/A-22 and F-14D excel at ATA, while the F/A-18 is only good, but's it better at ATG and it's CHEAPER, which the underlining cause of the replacement of F-14s with F/A-18s)

Thats like the whole damn reason why the F-22 can't outmanuever a Tomcat.

And I hope you guys aren't thinking that I'm talking about the F-14A because i'm referring to the F-14D.

Edited by JokersAce

F-14 (My favorite plane)

+ More range

I am wondering as to waht this means.

Range as in flight time? Cause the F-22s supercruise extends its range a great deal.

Missile lock range? I figure the F-22s radar is more powerful? :huh:

:D  so funny, a lot of the stuff you say about the F-18 is all wrong.

So, Pestilence, what Aircraft Carrier you stationed on? You still on one? :P I remember seeing you were, but I'm not sure now. =\

I did Deplowments on the USS Carl Vison and the USS Nimitz, as well as training detachments on the USS Lincoln and the Uss John C. Stennis.

During the era of the F-14 The only thing it had going for it as a fighter was its speed. Unfortunatly tho while at full military thrust, the F-14's turn rate is rather low at 14 degrees per second.

The F-18 even the F-18A on the other hand has a much hiher thrust to weight ratio and a higher turn rate of about 19 degrees ps at full military thrust.

The F-18 was designed to be a better fighter than the F-14 despite the F-18 multirole designation. The F-18 is part of a navy wide plan to consolidate the # of types of aircraft they employ.

The F-14 is already finished flying in active duty. The Tomcatters, which was the first Tomcat squadron to deploy was also the last to deploy and came back from the last deployment late last year.

As for the the F-22, Im still skeptacle as to what to belive. I have heard #'s like a trun rate of 21 degrees, and 32 with use of thrust vectoring during full military thrust. But I doubt a pilot could handle either while at full military thrust.

Turn rate is not the only spec to consider but it is one of the most important.

my 2 cents on it

well even if the Tomcat(in know it has being retired but still) its a better dogfighter i would always choose the Hornet over it

beacuse it is multyrole, and does many things, and does them very well

Thats like the whole damn reason why the F-22 can't outmanuever a Tomcat.

Huh? Do you know what thrust vectoring is?

As for the Raptor's turn rate, I hear mostly ~30 degrees, I don't know for sure though.