DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Schtoogie

Geforce 6800 Ultra Extreme Edition!

I remember when I ordered my computer back in early September, the hot topic of discussion regarding video cards was the GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme. BUT, the only way you could get one was to pre-order it and be put on eVGA's first-come-first-serve list! eVGA just so happened to be the only company manufacturing the 6800 Ultra EE at the time, and apparently they are now, too...

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-A8-N346-AX

$600? Wow. I just checked two weeks ago just for kicks and it was some $850.

These guys took their damn time on this one... in fact, ATi has already released their X850 XT PE in much larger quantities and a slightly lower price. So how do these compare?

Even though I'm biased towards nVidia, ... well I'm still not going to side with ATi. :P Basically, Radeon cards whoop the snot out of any GeForce on the market when it comes to graphics editing and raw power, but GeForces are much better for games. This much-betterness would be realized all too well if only nVidia would release some drivers more capable of handling Direct3D-based games and would shut all those ATi junkies up!

Despite all this, when you look at it, the 6800 Ultra EE is a hack. If you look closely, it has the same core chipset as the 6800 Ultra, and here's why: it's simply an overclocked Ultra optimized to run at those overclocked speeds. You could buy a vanilla 6800 Ultra for much less money - hell, Newegg is selling one for $440 that I've been churning over in my mind (my 6800GT hasn't met my expectations for a $400 card, and nobody seems to show me any sympathy). It's got a whole dumpload of good reviews, too, so you know it's no guff.

Anyway, like I was saying - you could buy a much less expensive 6800 Ultra which is flexible in the overclock dept. and make your own Extreme Edition yourself.

Still, I'm saving up my money to buy this bitch.

(I know that this thread is pretty much spam, but what are your guys' comments on the 6800 Ultra EE??)

I think you have it back words nvidia is better for graphic design/ modeling and ATI is better in games.

I think you have it back words nvidia is better for graphic design/ modeling and ATI is better in games.

Wow, do your homework.

:rolleyes: Sure, that's why an old Radeon 7200 can actually run Myst 4 and a GeForce 2 can barely run Generals on low detail.

Wow, do your homework.

:rolleyes: Sure, that's why an old Radeon 7200 can actually run Myst 4 and a GeForce 2 can barely run Generals on low detail.

Owned! :P

Wow, do your homework.

Bang bast style :D

But a GeForce 2 GTS CAN run Generals, my friend did it ;)

And a MX400 can do it on low even.

The 6800UEE never actually existed, officially. The only chips made were a hundred or so used for reference by Nvidia. These new Ultra Extreme's which have entered the market are 6800 Ultra's overclocked out of the box.

What's next? The Ultra Extreme Platinum Cubic Zirconia Hyper Awesome edition? I think they are going a little overboard when you have an Ultra Extreme edition...

I'm still going to get it.

Why?

I have no idea. It's a huge waste of money.

On second thought, I'm just going to get that $440 6800 Ultra on Newegg and not overclock it because I won't need it.

:)

No, I have a job. I worked my ass off for the $1500 to pay for this computer (my dad agreed to pay for the other $1500). Other than that, I have like... $40. Lucky me.

Edit:

... and I got fired from my job. :D

Some stupid bitch came in the store with her stupid dog (it was a petshop) and she was stupid. She wanted two leather harnesses, one pink and one red because her other dog was jealous that this stupid dog was going to the store and it complained and whined until the lady gave in and said something like "OK snookums, I'll get you a nice red harness!" Anyway, she then wanted matching leather leashes to go with these harnesses, and I didn't know where they were, so she started telling me how to do MY job and she showed me where the high qual leashes were (behind the cash register... Damn me I didn't etch that into my mind that there were leashes back there) like the stupid snobby little bitch she is.

Anyway after she left (and no one else was in the store) I said to the guy in there with me, "Man, that lady was really snooty." All of a sudden I get a phone call that weekend from the owner of the place telling me that I'm fired because a customer called her on her cell phone and told her that I said "I want to kill rich people."

... WHAT THE FUCK?

Yeah, so now I work out of my own house... at age 16 :D

Edited by Schtoogie

Wow, do your homework.

but my Geforce4Ti4400 can only run Generals on low setting... :( well, when im trying to build mass army vs CPU anyway. :D

heck I used to run generals on a geforce DDR, that's a geforce 1 people, and it worked, yeap it could run it at full details, with a some lag, but nothing that kills

I'm guessing it's other parts of your computer...

Wow, do your homework.

but my Geforce4Ti4400 can only run Generals on low setting... :( well, when im trying to build mass army vs CPU anyway. :D

We have internet cafes around here which run the piddling GeFoecr 2 MX 200.

My friends and I played Generals there, it was ok :D

Wow, do your homework.

Hmm my local uses a Geforce 4 (can't remember which) and it runs gen on low no lag, med no lag, hi with lag

not bad i gues but meh

Wow, do your homework.

Hmm my local uses a Geforce 4 (can't remember which) and it runs gen on low no lag, med no lag, hi with lag

not bad i gues but meh

Probably the MX440 or 460

A 420 would lag...

Unless they have the TIs, of which low end, the 4200 was THE card back in 2003/2. ;)

Wow, do your homework.

not bad i gues but meh

Probably the MX440 or 460

A 420 would lag...

Unless they have the TIs, of which low end, the 4200 was THE card back in 2003/2. ;)

Yeah, when it was pitted against ATI's puny 8500. But then the FX came out, which underperformed the Ti series... And this is still in '03.

Don't knock the lower end FX cards, if you have enough memory. After blowing most of my cash on my 2 gigs of RAM, I only had 100 for a videocard. I got a GeForce 5200FX and I've played Generals. Doom 3, and Half-Life 2, all on medium or better settings (HL2 on high settings.) Don't allways need the super uber card.

Heheh... The only reason that FX is within 10 FPS in HL2 is because HL2 automatically forces DirectX 8.1 and FP16 on your card, consequently disabling many effects. This is because the FX runs DirectX9 so badly.

HEY! Wait a minute...

I thought HL2 DIDN'T do that, and because of that everyone was bitching about it, and you had to download some different program to force it...

I also might have heard something like they were going to fix it in a patch. Don't remember, really...

Why the hell woould you buy 2GB of ram and skimp on a video card? The difference between 1gb of ram and 2gb is almost nothing. Ove 1gb of ram, you have overkill and need to start upgrading the other parts of your computer. Like, for instance, the video card.